Vortex Sirloins.

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru
Went old-school today & cooked up good ol’ steak & fries for dinner.
Two x 1.25lb Black Angus sirloins. Marinaded with a slight smear of homemade bbq sauce & SPOG. In the fridge for about 5 hrs.

Decided to do them reverse sear using the vortex. (Are you watching Rich D? ;)). Pushed the vortex to the far side of the JJ to give a bit more room at the front of the grill for the steaks. I used a lump of orange wood for smoke.

Set up the Mav & was shooting for an IT of 120f. After reaching an IT of 120f, about 45 minutes, I put each steak directly over the vortex for a 1 minute sear each side. Rested for about 10 minutes. Eat.

wjx35f.jpg

With about 20 briqs in the vortex the cook temp was +/- 360f.
2i7lcfq.jpg

Your plate. Seasoned fries, carrots & peas.
5mbhh3.jpg

e0nbyv.jpg

I could only manage one half of the steak. So it’s going to be steak & eggs for dinner tonight. Enjoy the rest of your week………it’s nearly Friday! :)

Tony, I am awed at the cooks you're doing on a Smokey Joe. Simply amazing is all I can say

Very nice cook on that JJ Tony. I know you were looking at the vortex in making one or purchasing a bowl to modify - I assume this is one you just purchased the mini Vortex for the JJ then directly from them?

Sean. Buying/shipping the mini-vortex from the US was prohibitively expensive. So I had one made. This is the teeny-weeny vortex, (which OwensBBQ don't make). It's smaller than the mini, so I can use it in the SJ as well as the JJ. It's only 3.5" high.

Last edited:
Great cook tony i have the Vortex as well i also bought the Slow& shear unit here and its best slow cook unit as well
jerry C

Sean. Buying/shipping the mini-vortex from the US was prohibitively expensive. So I had one made. This is the teeny-weeny vortex, (which OwensBBQ don't make). It's smaller than the mini, so I can use it in the SJ as well as the JJ. It's only 3.5" high.

Thanks Tony, I wondered about it as I was looking at the other post about it for SJ and JJ that you wanted to buy /make one that is why I asked. :) I'd like to make one for my SJ as well now.

Great cook Tony. Your ingenuity is fantastic. The steaks look wonderful. Keep up the always great cooks!!

Yes Tony I am watching :D and drooling on my keyboard looking at that sirloin, which happens to be one of my favorite cuts. Every thing looks good, but I'm sure Barb will make a comment on the peas.
I think Barb is just making me work for that vortex, but I will prevail....I think.

Yes Tony I am watching, you and others are doing some amazing things with the vortex. Yes I'm thinking about it very strongly.:D One thing Tony, your steak is to die for with sides of fries and carrots but peas! No way not my favorite. Thanks for sharing Tony and have a great week also.

Tony, if you don't mind my asking, what diameter are the top and bottom openings?
I have a vortex for my kettle, but after seeing your recent cooks with the teeny one, I need to find a way to make one for the Smokey Joe.
Thanks!

Daniel.

The top opening is: 5.00"
The bottom opening is: 8[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]4[/SUB]"
The height is: 3[SUP]7[/SUP]/[SUB]16[/SUB]"
:)

Back