Vortex Inaugural Run

Came out great! The cherry wood was fantastic with the wings. I ordered the Vortex from Owens BBQ and they sent a shaker of the Buffalo Wing Rub, which was really good. Didn't even sauce them.

Untitled by C Lasko, on Flickr

Clasko;
Those are great lookin' wings!

I REALLY like my medium Vortex. There is no better way to cook wings. I also enjoy the Super searing capability, too. I'm lookin' forward to exploring other cooks that the Vortex should excel in.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

How far away or the top of the vortex to the cooking grate? And the chicken came out looking great.

How far away or the top of the vortex to the cooking grate? And the chicken came out looking great.

That will depend to a certain extent on the particular grill. My Performer's grate actually rests on top of the Vortex (just a "skosh":rolleyes:). The tabs that the charcoal grate rests on can vary a bit (up or down). That, in turn, determines how "high" the Vortex is relative to the food grate.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Yeah, what Robert said. I have the 22" performer, so I got the small Vortex. The grate is pretty much right on top of it. I had been going back and forth between the small and medium, but after using the small with the 22" I'm happy with how well it worked. I could envision really loading it up with wings. That was about 5-6lbs of wings trimmed up and they all cooked pretty much evenly.

Man those wings look so yummy. You did a awesome job and that vortex is the only way to do wings.

Back