Visit to Buc-cee's Travel Center in Fort Worth TX

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Buc'ee's Travel Center
15901 I-35W
Fort Worth, TX 76177

On our way home from Camp Brisket 2020, my wife and I stopped at the Buc-cee's Travel Center on I-35W in Fort Worth, TX near the Texas Motor Speedway on January 12.

For those that have never heard of Buc-ee's, it's a chain of convenience stores and gas stations located mostly in Texas, with one location in Alabama and plans for Florida and other locations in the future. Some of the older Buc-ee's locations are no bigger than a regular gas station + convenience store, but many of the newer ones along the interstate are super-sized. You'd think they were truck stops on steroids, but in fact they are travel centers aimed at automobile drivers.

Beside a ridiculous number of gas pumps and a huge car wash facility, the big Buc-ee's locations are known for their world-famous, oversized, spotless restrooms (with attendants continually cleaning them). As for food, the big stores feature a massive wall of beef jerky, a monster selection of candy and dried fruits & veggies, a huge selection of beverages at the self-serve soda fountains and in refrigerated display cases, lots of cold beer, and a prepared food section selling breakfast tacos, barbecue sandwiches (might be OK, but there's so much good barbecue in Texas I don't imagine you'd want to eat barbecue here), hot sweet coated nuts, kolaches, and more than 24 types of fudge. Virtually everything you'd expect to find in a convenience store is here, plus one entire end of the store is dedicated to souvenir merchandise including t-shirts, hats, toys, and every kind of knick-knack imaginable.

The most famous food item of all is the Buc-ee's Beaver Nuggets, an addictive puffed corn snack with a sweet coating. They are awesome, you will want to lug as many bags home as possible! There are also sea-salted caramel and powdered cheese versions. Look carefully in the store, there are small- and large-sized bags...buy the large bags!

Buc-ee's has a large selection of jams, jellies, and preserves. An unusual one is Mayhaw Jelly. Made from hawthorn berries that grow on the mayhaw tree in wetlands throughout the South, these little fruits look like a cranberry and are harvested each year in...wait for it...May. They have a tart flavor that makes a beautiful pink jelly when lots of sugar is added. We bought a jar; I liked it a lot on toast.

I was surprised to see that Buc-ee's had a good selection of barbecue-related items, including rubs, sauces, and even some smokers, including several Green Mountain pellet cookers and a collection of barrel smokers. At the entrance, they had a flat top gas griddle, several propane-fired seafood boilers, and several propane-fired deep fryers. They also sold bacon grease in 7-pound tubs...who knew?

So, the next time you're driving through the Great State of Texas, where everything is BIGGER & BETTER, make sure to plan a stop at the nearest Buc-ee's. I guarantee it will be one of the highlights of your trip!

P.S. For lovers of In-N-Out Burger, there is a location right around the corner from this Buc-ee's location.

Here are some photos from our visit...hope you enjoy them.

IMG_9139.JPG

IMG_9140.JPG

IMG_9109.JPG

IMG_9110.JPG

IMG_9111.JPG

IMG_9112.JPG

IMG_9113.JPG

IMG_9114.JPG

IMG_9115.JPG

IMG_9116.JPG

Continued...

Bucee's is such an awesome place. lol. An experience all to itself. I've often wondered how long I could actually LIVE in a Bucee's by just wandering around and not leaving.

Chris, that display of fruit kolaches is very reminiscent of my grandmother's poppyseed and peach kolaches. She was 4th generation Bohemian in this country.

And 20+ lb. buckets of bacon grease? HEAVEN!

Wow. That'd have to be a stop on the way home, for sure. Otherwise, I'd blow the vacation spending money before the vacation actually started. :D

Bucee's is such an awesome place. lol. An experience all to itself. I've often wondered how long I could actually LIVE in a Bucee's by just wandering around and not leaving.
Park the Winnebago in the lot and spend the entire vacation there!

I showed my wife the photos and she said we have to find one the next time we travel to the southwest and back. We cut across the Texas panhandle on I-40 a couple of weeks ago but I don't recall seeing any Buc-ee's signs, so maybe they'll open one somewhere along there (Amarillo, maybe?) in the next year or so.

Park the Winnebago in the lot and spend the entire vacation there!

I showed my wife the photos and she said we have to find one the next time we travel to the southwest and back. We cut across the Texas panhandle on I-40 a couple of weeks ago but I don't recall seeing any Buc-ee's signs, so maybe they'll open one somewhere along there (Amarillo, maybe?) in the next year or so.

Family owned, too. Not a franchise. Family is from Wharton Texas. I live I Austin and there is a Buc-cee's on almost ever major highway outta here. And yes, you can get Ter-duck-hens at Buc-cee's...

There is a big one in Terrell, TX, along I-20 an hour or so east of Dallas. It blew me away with the size, range of items, and cleanliness.

Many tourist places will have cookbooks and food items, but they are often low end or older items. Not at Buc-ees. They had shelves full of current popular books from top authors, with quality grills and smokers and everything to go with them.

It's fun to see what variety of things people get. One man had a child's Dallas Cowboy cheerleader outfit, some beef jerky, and yard art. How random.

That would be worth the drive to Texas just to go to Buc-ee's. I'd come out of there broke!
Thanks for sharing Chris.

WOW!!!! That place would get me in BIG trouble. That is awesome, thanks for sharing Chris.

Back