Vietnamese char grilled chicken thighs

@SteveEd @Randy @Rich G

Vietnamese char grilled chicken

14 boneless skinless chicken thighs

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup red boat fish sauce (my preferred brand due to its quality, but choose a brand you like. Three Crabs is also good.)

4 Tbs granulated garlic

1 shallot clove very finely minced

12 dried Thai chilis ran through spice grinder until dust (any dried chili works and adjust this to your spice level. 12 Thai chilis is VERY spicy. I’m a glutton for heat)

2 fresh limes juiced

1/8 cup apple cider vinegar

Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl an fully cover and massage into chicken. Ensure even distribution of all ingredients onto the thighs.

Leave on counter to marinate as you build you charcoal fire.

After fire is red hot and grate is preheated, around 30 minutes, sear the thighs over direct heat for 5 minutes per side. After both sides are seared, move to indirect for 15 minutes.

When thighs temp to 155°, move back to direct heat to develop your desired char. On the WSK E6, I open the top vent to rapid heat to get a very hot and quick char.

Remove to a serving plate when lightly charred. Temp will be 165°-170°F. Tent and rest chicken for 5 minutes. Slice into strips, serve and enjoy.

Post your results if you make this, please.

let's talk about the dried Thai chilis in this recipe.

Ranch99, an Asian grocer here in CA, sells a bag of these fresh chilis. red ones are hotter than the green ones. it's kind of hard to use all the fresh ones in the bag they retail them in in a short timeframe so rather than let them go to waste/rot, I use the ones i need and then let the remaining chilis dry in the fridge uncovered or on a tray on my kitchen countertop.

once fully dried, i store mine in a ziplock baggie in the fridge or in my spice cabinet. when i need that heat and flavor they impart, you can run them through the spice grinder to make into a dust or cut them with scissors and infuse them into oil. don't burn them as they'll turn bitter, but a slow low heat infusion and you'll get some spicy oil.

the 12 i used in this recipe, as dust, really gave a mouth tingle. you've been warned :cool:

Back