vacuum sealer bag recommendations

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I had a vacuum sealer years ago and it died, and recently bought a new one and need more bags.

Any recommendations?

Dan, I usually just buy the FoodSaver brand in the large box at Sam's. Those are the 4 pack of rolls, and I can make my own sizes as I want. Walmart at one time was carrying the Ziploc brand. Much heavier and cheaper, but I haven't seen them around for a while. Lots of off-brand on Amazon, but I haven't tried any of them yet. Hope this helps.

Charlie

I've been buying bags & the occasional roll from https://webstaurantstore.com. I get good media, and cheap enough that I just generally reach for the pint or quart bags. I've never had a bag leak, except when I've made a bad seal (heating element over a wet spot.)

After a thoroughly unsatisfactory experience with Foodsaver's completely lack of customer service, I won't buy anything labelled Foodsaver ever again.

Can't make a recommendation since I don't have a FoodSaver, but I did notice last time I was in Costco they now have Kirkland branded FoodSaver bags.

Can't make a recommendation since I don't have a FoodSaver, but I did notice last time I was in Costco they now have Kirkland branded FoodSaver bags.
I saw these today and picked up a box. I'll see how they work. I picked up a couple tri tips and I think I'll vac seal these.

first bag seemed good with the Kirkland bag. vac-sealed a salted and seasoned tri tip.

If the quality is sufficient, the price definitely wins. An extra of each roll plus four more bags for $10 less.

Foodsaver $39.99
2 Rolls 8 in × 20 ft (20.3 cm × 6.1 m)
3 Rolls 11 in × 16 ft (27.9 cm × 4.88 m)
46 Pre-cut 1 QT Bags 8 in × 10 in (20.3 cm × 25.4 cm)

Kirkland $29.99
3 Rolls 8 in × 20 ft (20.3 cm × 6.1 m)
4 Rolls 11 in × 16 ft (27.9 cm × 4.88 m)
50 Pre-cut 1 QT Bags 8 in × 10 in (20.3 cm × 25.4 cm)

Check the thickness. A lot of the generics on Amazon indicate the actual thickness is over stated and the seal breaks or bones poke through easily. We just buy the branded ones for our food saver

I was just at Costco with my wife (added a quick $100!) and we passed by the FoodSaver unit priced at $149.00 I’ve never bought one of these but can clearly see the benefits when making pulled pork, brisket, Sous vide cookery etc. My problem is I really am in the dark about these things. It’s not a massive investment but, I don’t want to buy the $150 one and find out that one that is twenty bucks more is FAR superior. Can any of you kind would help a brother out to make the smart choice?
OK, I’m in the dark on many things but, that’s another days work.

I was just at Costco with my wife (added a quick $100!) and we passed by the FoodSaver unit priced at $149.00 I’ve never bought one of these but can clearly see the benefits when making pulled pork, brisket, Sous vide cookery etc. My problem is I really am in the dark about these things. It’s not a massive investment but, I don’t want to buy the $150 one and find out that one that is twenty bucks more is FAR superior. Can any of you kind would help a brother out to make the smart choice?
OK, I’m in the dark on many things but, that’s another days work.

I bought this unit on amazon. $39.99. simple seems to work well and was highly rated on a couple of review sites.

I bought it specifically to freeze shredded pork shoulder and so far it's done well. I've only sealed about 10 bags so far so we'll see.

I bought this unit on amazon. $39.99. simple seems to work well and was highly rated on a couple of review sites.

I bought it specifically to freeze shredded pork shoulder and so far it's done well. I've only sealed about 10 bags so far so we'll see.

I have that one. It's very lightweight so it slides around on the counter a little, but works good. As far as bags, I use the Nutri-Lock pre-made quart and gallon sizes from Amazon

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I’m really thinking about this and the opinions you are offering are making me think that I don’t need to spend a fortune on one! No decision made yet but, I appreciate the help with leg work!

Yeah, I'm not doing a production line. I sealed six bags of 18 Oz per bag shredded pork butt and thats a long run for me.

We'll see how it holds up

Back