Using sous vide to reheat barbecue ?

Hi Lynn...I've tried this with frozen, leftover pulled pork. I have an Anova fwiw.

I think I set the temp to 190ish and let it ride for about 1.5 hours. Problem for me was that it softened the bark; I put it in a skillet for a few minutes to try to re set the bark. Kinda worked.

Tbh, I think I prefer just thawing it and reheating in the oven. Just one guy talking though.

If thawed, 45 minutes at 165° for 1 inch thickness. Add 30 minutes if frozen. I use a Foodsaver and make sure the package is about 1 inch thick when I freeze it. I've been doing it for years. It definitely stays moist.

After we've had our fill of brisket, pulled pork etc, I always vacuum seal leftovers up and they are ready to toss directly into the sous vide directly from the freezer when we want a BBQ fix. IMPORTANT: Make sure they bags are not treated too rough in the freezer or they will tend to get some pinch points that leak when they thaw!! I sous vide them at 160 until they are hot...then they are ready to eat any time after that. Usually ready in 30 min...

I have a foodsaver , it does ok... I put the smoked meat in the fridge overnight and seal the next morning...this kinda cuts down on any juices getting sucked out. I did a test between wrapping the meat in saran wrap then putting it in freezer paper...its good for about 4 months max for me...I am super picky and cant stand any sort of "freezer" taste, the foodsaver sealed meat I tested was fine up to a year, I have not tested beyond that.

I reheat either on the grill or in microwave, have not tried water reheat
I am also considering checking out a "affordable" commercial grade sealer

I'm lazy and don't bother breaking out the sous-vide to reheat thawed pulled pork.

I stick the bag(s) in a pot of gently simmering water and the meat is ready to serve in 45 minutes.

I've never tried it with frozen....I always take it out of the freezer the night before. I'm smoking one tomorrow. If there's any leftover, I'll try reheating it from frozen next time.

I'm lazy and don't bother breaking out the sous-vide to reheat thawed pulled pork.

I stick the bag(s) in a pot of gently simmering water and the meat is ready to serve in 45 minutes.

I've never tried it with frozen....I always take it out of the freezer the night before. I'm smoking one tomorrow. If there's any leftover, I'll try reheating it from frozen next time.

And this is where Mrs Dollar and I fail. I expect her to think ahead and she expects guidance from me, so we end up with nothing thawed out for dinner :unsure:

And this is where Mrs Dollar and I fail. I expect her to think ahead and she expects guidance from me, so we end up with nothing thawed out for dinner :unsure:
After 57 years of marriage I found something that works for me. I’m the plan ahead partner. I tell her what I’ve planned for dinner and she tells me what I’m actually cooking. Works for me. She did the cooking until her back changed that. :)

After 57 years of marriage I found something that works for me. I’m the plan ahead partner. I tell her what I’ve planned for dinner and she tells me what I’m actually cooking. Works for me. She did the cooking until her back changed that. :)
This earned a Haha emoticon... but not her back :cry:

Back