Using lump charcoal in a weber kettle?

steveD

TVWBB Fan
Ok, I'm 90% sure I know the answer to this, but I wanted to ask the question anyway... When I first got my weber kettle about 4 years ago, I ran a couple bags of lump charcoal through it as I was learning how to use it and adjust temps, etc. Then I went into a local hearth and fireplace shop to check prices on BGE's and ask a few other questions. The guy there told me not to use lump charcoal in my kettle because the steel is too thin and it can't take the temperatures. At that point, I stopped using lump and switched to exclusively using briquettes.

Now, I know I see a lot of people on here and BBQ-Brethren posting about using lump in their Webers so please confirm for me: It is OK to use lump in my OTS, right? That guy was just full of it, right?

Steve,
I use both, sometimes the two combined, and nary a melt down on any of my kettles. :)
Check out some pizza cooks by members here where the grill is screaming hot.
So my answer is yes, the guy is full of ​it.

Yes he is full of "it". He probably was just trying to make you think that your kettle was not good quallity so he could sell you a BGE. That is what it sounds like to me. Just a thought!!!

Steve, I have a Performer that has been in my family since the 90's, and lump charcoal has been used on it the vast majority of the time. The kettle is in perfectly fine condition, so I don't know what that guy was talking about when he claimed that Weber's can't take lump charcoal.

When using lump, just be careful during cleanup using the one-touch cleaning system. I've had pieces of lump stick in the vents and have messed up my cleaning blades. Other than that when I need to sear something, I prefer to use lump charcoal.

Yes he is full of "it". He probably was just trying to make you think that your kettle was not good quallity so he could sell you a BGE. That is what it sounds like to me. Just a thought!!!
That is the precise impression I had at the time, and even now after several years, I remember that being his general tone... that Webers were cheap, thin-gauge steel, and you really should be buying something much more expensive if you wanted quality.

Yep, pure "let me say whatever I can think of at the time to make you want to buy my product instead of that one" sales talk.

Webers are many things, but cheap, thin gauge steel is not one that comes to mind.

I use lump all the time, its just fine in a kettle.

"My stuff is great, your stuff is ....less than great". I'm guessing the salesman is extinguishing trouser as we speak!
Come on, this is pretty basic heat control, I think I would simply not darken his door again. Or wear a heat suit if you do, maybe earmuffs too.
I have taken coal from a nice big maple, cherry, oak fireplace fire, screamingly hot, and dumped them in my kettle in dead of winter and never had any kind of trouble. I hope the goofus burns his next steak!

Last edited:
That salesman was either misinformed or just lying.

No problem using lump in a Weber kettle. I even used to use lump when I had a little Smokey Joe. It got super hot a few times. No ill effects.

Wait you almost believed a salesman? :p There have been ceramic grills/smokes that have cracked. That doesn't mean they all will.

I've used a Weber Kettle for over 35 yrs and have never had an issue with lump or anything else for that matter. I've seen my share of cracked BGE's though.

Weber kettles cut into his sales so he chose to paint the Weber kettle as inferior to his product.
I don't use much lump, but when i do it's for hot and fast grilling of steaks, etc.
Center the Weber baskets and sear away !

Just my 2 centsmin, have used the lump coal as well as the Bricketts, i had a Kamado, and weber kettles (3) after few years of using most they both have their advantages. BUT and to me this is MOO i like the Bricketts better,and now use the new Kings Competion Bricketts.The lump gets hotter but doesn't last long as the Bricketts. So thats my 2 cents worth lol
jerry

Back