Turkey shortage coming for Thanksgiving?

Love everything turkey and not sure why we don't eat more thru the year, I tell my self I will eat more after thanksgiving every year and have yet to follow through

Last year I bought three frozen smaller turkeys after thanksgiving and put them in the freezer. I think they were 10 to 12 pounders. local grocery store had them on sale for a bargain price.

looking back, if I had a bigger freezer I should have bought more as they were gone before April showed up.

I asked my wife to check out turkey prices when she went to Wal Mart the other day. I forgot to ask her what the prices were so I asked this AM. She said the price for frozen birds was $1.38/lb. And that included everything. Butterball, Jennie O', etc. Not surprised since they're not in real high demand right now. Hopefully prices will drop when we get closer to Thanksgiving.

I was going to do a turkey over Columbus Day Weekend, but I forgot about it, so will do one on the roti in the Performer this Sat. Got one Jennie O' bird from last year left in the freezer so need to cook that.
I picked up a 20lb Butterball for $0.89lb at BJ's today.
The freezer that it was in was marked $1.49lb for 16-24lb birds.
I looked through them, (to find the smallest bird for the grill) and for whatever reason, a couple of them were marked @ $0.89 lb. I snagged one and stuck it in the freezer.
The Missus would not be happy at all if we couldn't find a turkey, (which I seriously doubt), but I was not taking a chance ;) ;)

I picked up a 20lb Butterball for $0.89lb at BJ's today.
The freezer that it was in was marked $1.49lb for 16-24lb birds.
I looked through them, (to find the smallest bird for the grill) and for whatever reason, a couple of them were marked @ $0.89 lb. I snagged one and stuck it in the freezer.
The Missus would not be happy at all if we couldn't find a turkey, (which I seriously doubt), but I was not taking a chance ;) ;)
They're the same price @ WalMart ($1.48/lb). I bought a 13lb bird yesterday since the one we had in freezer is almost 19lbs, and that's too big for doing on the roti. As least it is for me. We'll save the 19lb turkey for making ground turkey later.

Turkeys tend to be seasonal somewhat.

I buy several frozen turkey breasts and keep in freezer, smoke throughout year . Just did one 2 weeks ago.

Honestly......breast is only part i care for......you can keep the rest. It cooks so much faster alone too.....~2 hrs at 350 on smoker. Hot n fast, pull at 150-155 = juicy turkey

They're the same price @ WalMart ($1.48/lb). I bought a 13lb bird yesterday since the one we had in freezer is almost 19lbs, and that's too big for doing on the roti. As least it is for me. We'll save the 19lb turkey for making ground turkey later.
Aldi had Butterballs for 1.39/lb the other day. Seemed to be in the 20lb range.

Grandson is visiting the Deer woods on his last juvenile hunt Saturday, hope to stock up on some good eats lol, a week later muzzle loader season starts, was recovering from covid last season and didn't shoot any thing, grandson scored 1 spike, we are having 2 rolls in the smoker for breakfast this weekend to entice him lol

Turkeys tend to be seasonal somewhat.

I buy several frozen turkey breasts and keep in freezer, smoke throughout year . Just did one 2 weeks ago.

Honestly......breast is only part i care for......you can keep the rest. It cooks so much faster alone too.....~2 hrs at 350 on smoker. Hot n fast, pull at 150-155 = juicy turkey
Tend to agree with you. Why buy a whole turkey when you can get a couple breasts and really enjoy?

Two years ago smoked two breasts, last year a whole bird, probably going back to breasts this year. Good stuff!

Smoking whole birds bigger than chickens is really a waste for my g/f & I. If I'm gonna smoke turkey for my g/f & I, it'll be just a breast from a local grower. No idea what their prices are right now, though.

Tend to agree with you. Why buy a whole turkey when you can get a couple breasts and really enjoy?

Two years ago smoked two breasts, last year a whole bird, probably going back to breasts this year. Good stuff!
I guess I'm the outlier.
I prefer dark meat, but the Missus only eats white...

Picked up a 16 Lb. Jennie O at Wallys that was the smallest one they had. Barb picked up a 10.9 Lb. at Safeway for Christmas and with her discount She paid $1.09 Lb. Didn't want to wait until the last minuet and end up with a monster bird or non at all.

I'll wait another 2 or 3 weeks and they usually go on sale for pretty cheap. I'll get at least 2 and maybe 3. I know we'll cook one at Christmas as well between my family and my wife's. Then maybe have one left over for in the spring. I bought a freezer this year so I'm excited to take advantage of sales and have some meat in it.

Back