Tri Tip on a hot day!

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Got a little toasty here yesterday and we're looking at hotter temps tomorrow and Friday, 110 and 112 respectively. Took a break from my outdoor work and thawed a 3 lb. tri tip that I'd bought during a bag sale last year at Safeway. I've been chatting with Rich G. about his Hunsaker Rib Rack. Rich likes spending my money and has been very helpful in that area. I mentioned it to my wife a couple of weeks ago and sure enough she bought me one for Father's Day. I'm really looking forward to using in on my next round of sausages. Anyway, back to the Tri Tip. It got the maiden voyage on the rack last night and it was great. Here's a few pic's.

I marinated the meat overnight and rubbed it with Cattlemen's Tri Tip seasoning.

DSC_3523 (Large).JPG

Did some crosshatched Hasselback potatoes.

DSC_3526 (Large).JPG

Here's the maiden "hang".

DSC_3527 (Large).JPG

Got the potatoes going.

DSC_3530 (Large).JPG

Checked it at 30 minutes and IT was around 110. Gave it another 10 minutes and pulled at around 128.

DSC_3535 (Large).JPG

Potatoes getting there. Left them on around 50 minutes.

DSC_3538 (Large).JPG

Carrots quartered in oil and garlic. Later sprinkled with lime juice, cumin, cilantro and salt and pepper.DSC_3540 (Large).JPG

Sliced.

DSC_3543 (Large).JPG

Plated it up.

DSC_3546 (Large).JPG

Well, we're so spoiled with Costco Prime, that I was a little let down with this meat. I don't recall if this was Choice or Select but I'm guessing Select. The meat was pretty tough. It was very juicy and had wonderful flavor. We both cleaned our plates and are looking forward to sandwiches later this week, but it just didn't have the pop and that melt in your mouth texture like the Costco Prime. We have one more of these guys to get through and then we're hopefully restock when our Costco gets restocked. The beef selection last week was quite paltry last week. Carrots and potatoes were great! Happy Hump Day everyone and thanks for looking.

Sorry to hear that it wasn't as good as you were hoping, Cliff. Sure looks great from the pics. I love how you did the taters! Super photos and documentation as always.

Looks tasty all the same!
Here I thought our 90 degree temps were hot. I like the mid 70’s after that I’m out!

Looks great from here Cliff. I really like Costco's Prime anything. Steaks, Brisket, Tri Tips. But they haven't had any prime for quite awhile now. We did a non Costco TT a week or so ago and had the same experience you did, tasty but tough.
Hit 103 yesterday, not liking that at all.

Oh, man, does that tri tip look good, Cliff!

I've been chatting with Rich G. about his Hunsaker Rib Rack. Rich likes spending my money and has been very helpful in that area.
I'm running out of my own money to spend, so what's a guy to do? :) I'll come up with some more ideas for you, I'm sure! :)

R

That's an awesome cook. Just so you guys know, the Covid mess has been a real problem for those of us out here where the cattle and hogs and birds are being grown. It's definitely not that there is a lack of supply or a desire to provide it, but the pipeline from the time a baby pig or calf hits the ground and the time it leaves the packer has become a very finely tuned machine and it just doesn't have any margin for such a large monkey wrench to be arbitrarily thrown into the gears.

Awesome TT, Select or not. I have just one question for you Cliff....Are you ready for some baseball? :)

Back