Tri tip might be my new favorite!

EricDS

Having been born and raised in the midwest, I never even heard of tri tip until a year or two ago. Finally found a good butcher shop in town and they almost always have a few tri tips in the case. So I couldnt resist trying one.

So far I grilled one and smoked one. Liked the smoked one better, but they were still both awesome. No trimming, super simple rub, and little over an hour on the smoker. Couldn't be easier.

Slices up perfectly medium rare, tender, and with no big chunks of fat. Sorry guys, I like some fat but I perfer lean cuts of meat. If it wasen't $9.99 per pound I'd make it every weekend. If you've never done tri tip its totally worth the work to find it.

:)

My California wife turned me on to the tri-tip this summer, and I love it too! I agree that low and slow with smoke is great, but Santa Maria style on the grill is also good.

Hold your horses! Yes I'm sure it's great but there is a ton of meat out there to be smoked, be adventurous.

With the price of beef these days when you find a cut of beef like Tri-Tip that's so very very good it's hard to be adventurous. In So Cal choice tt is going for about $5.99lb to $6.99 untrimmed. Most choice steak cuts are about $9.99 to $11.99lb. Folks eat a lot of chicken, myself included. LOL

Bill

With the price of beef these days when you find a cut of beef like Tri-Tip that's so very very good it's hard to be adventurous. In So Cal choice tt is going for about $5.99lb to $6.99 untrimmed.
Bill

After doing a few untrimmed choice Tri-Tips.... I've found that they cost the same or even more than trimmed. There is usually a lot of fat on them.
However.... it's fun to trim them & they are very "fresh" to say the least.

I have cooked them to med-rare and brisket style. Both were very good. The brisket style had more smoke flavor as you expect.

Barb and I like TT a lot. I've picked them up as low as $3.99 a pound, but the average is about $5.00 a pound. like them both grilled and smoked. Cook them to about 120 and let them sit for about 20 minuets, come out a perfect medium rare.

give it time... the popularity of tri tip has doubled in the last two years...
next year this time, I will not be shocked to see that 6.99 per lb price JUMP to 12.99

think about the chuck eye craze...
where can you find a chuck eye for under 5 bucks a lb? No where.
it's up to as high as 9.99 lb...
average here is 6.59... and most are scrawny cuts... again, supply & demand... popularity.
Bob Correll, how much were chuck eyes when you introduced them to TVWBB? 3.49lb? 3.69?

hell, hanger and skirt were well under 5 bucks per lb only 4-5 years ago, now.... 10.99 to 13.99 lb.

I'm just gonna drink more beer and try to get creative with some squirrel or chipmunk while I see that's still free running across my yard.

Our son is a meat cutter in MN. He tells me the price of beef is and will skyrocket in price over the next few years. If you have a dedicated freezer stock up and hang on, it's going to be a long ride. Now on a lighter note, Pork prices are coming down and Foster Farms fresh chicken can be had for as little as $.88lb. Hell I'm with Jim Lampe, those squirrels and chipmunks better look out. Eat good and cook better.

Bill

Choice Tri-Tip is $9.50 a pound at local Costco. The local grocery store with full time meat cutters wants $11.99 a pound for choice..
Shee....

Last edited:
I have cooked them to med-rare and brisket style. Both were very good. The brisket style had more smoke flavor as you expect.

I'm intrigued... What's the texture like when cooked brisket style? Is it still juicy? I assume you cook it to 200-ish?

Besides the price of tri tip escalating, I am seeing it being served in some untraditional and bizzare ways. Thursday night
I was at a banquet in Huntington Beach CA and it was served sliced in brown gravy. I much prefer the traditional methods
for queing or grilling it. I have been paying $7.99lb for it in Arlington Heights IL. Might be time to stock up.

Tri Tip is one of the most versatile cuts there is. I'm really glad it's spread across the country, but miss it being a cheap piece of meat nobody cared about. But then all beef has gone up dramatically.

I'm intrigued... What's the texture like when cooked brisket style? Is it still juicy? I assume you cook it to 200-ish?
I has been a while but I recall it was tender and tasty but not particularly juicy. It doesn't have as much fat as brisket so not as juicy as briskett.

I think one of my first posts here was if anyone had tried low and slow with a trip tip....

Thinking about it now it was a ridiculous question.... It would just be a waste of time, it's just not worth it when you can get anything you want out of it in less time.

I can normally get a tri tip for $7.99 a pound at Safeway but I believe it's the lower grade meat. I do a reverse sear with some hickory and it's so good I can't tell the difference

Back