Tri Tip and grilled sweet potatoes and apples

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I picked up a couple of prime tri tips at Costco last week. Got one out and decided to marinate this time. Put together a marinade with sesame oil, sliced green onions, minced garlic, rice vinegar, honey, fresh grated ginger, red pepper flakes, olive oil, beef broth and soy sauce. Marinated the meat for a full 24 hours. For the sweet potato and apple dish I sliced the potatoes up into 1/2" disks and did the same with a couple of granny smith apples. Peeled the potatoes and not the apples. Grilled them up on a kettle and tossed with a glaze consisting of lime juice, honey, oil, cumin and salt and pepper. Made this ahead of time so I placed in my 2 qt dutch oven to be heated later when I grilled the tri tip. Here goes.

Bagged it and soaked it.

DSC_3169 (Large).JPG

On the grill.

DSC_3172 (Large).JPG

All set for this evening.

DSC_3179 (Large).JPG

Applied a little Cattlemen's Tri Tip Seasoning.

DSC_3182 (Large).JPG

On some very high heat.

DSC_3187 (Large).JPG

Flipped.

DSC_3193 (Large).JPG

Moved to cool side.

DSC_3196 (Large).JPG

Got the potatoes and apples on to reheat.

DSC_3189 (Large).JPG

Sliced it up.

DSC_3199 (Large).JPG

Plated it up.

DSC_3201 (Large).JPG

Came out really well. Best beef marinade I've ever done. Wonderful sesame/ginger flavor. Sweet potatoes were delicious as well. Hope you're holding up and doing as well as possible. Thanks for looking.

I know not these "apples" and "sweet potatoes" of which you speak, but the tri-tip is totally bitchin', dude.;)

Last edited:
Stellar, Cliff!!

Money shot!!
dsc_3199-large-jpg.3629

I’ve been craving tri tip for a while now but for a number of reasons I can’t get to the store right now. I’ve picked up tri tips at many places: upscale grocery stores and expensive butcher shops and nothing compares to Costco. They look good, taste good and the price is good. I’ve want to roast one with just a dry rub. I think I’ll try Cattleman’s. I’ve never had it before.

Note from Moderator: Your comment was buried in a nested series of quote replies. I cleaned things up. Also deleted your "can't see my comments" posts and replies to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's incredible Cliff. Barb just picked up a TT at Safeway, going to copycat that TT cook of yours and the taters and apples too.

Back