Today at Costco

Barb and I went to Costco today and it was the first time I've seen whole prime brisket there it was $2.99 a pound. I would have snagged one but the smallest they had was almost 17 pounds and the beast was $50.00 and both my freezers are full.
Brisket flat $4.99
Whole pork bellies $2.99
Pork back ribs $3.29
Regular gas $2.18

The Prime packer I picked up was a little over 11 lbs., it was the smallest I could find and it has pretty even thickness on the flat.

The Prime packer I picked up was a little over 11 lbs., it was the smallest I could find and it has pretty even thickness on the flat.

That's about the size I was looking for. I can fit that on my 18.5, but like Barb said where are we going to put the leftovers even if they had a smaller one.
I still have some sliced flat and almost the entire point from the last one I did.
Oh well maybe in the spring after I unload the freezers, at least I know they carry the prime packers now.

Today at Costco in south StL county.
Gas, $2.36 per gallon
Prime whole packer briskets, $3.99/lb
Whole pork bellies, $3.29/lb
And best of all, they have tri tips again, not cheap at $7.99/lb., but well trimmed and look high end Choice.

Last week we went to Costco and they had
Gas $2.79
Brisket prime $3.89/lb
Pork belly $3.39/lb

When I started this thread back in July, 2016 gas was $1.72, never see that price again I'm sure.

In June to July 2016, the price of West Texas Intermediate crud was around $46. Its $53 today. Was $51 yesterday. The market is always changing, but its not out of the question that WTI could get back down in the low 40's. Don't think it would stay there long, but it did not stay there in summer of 2016 , either.

Today at Costco in south StL county.
Gas, $2.36 per gallon
Prime whole packer briskets, $3.99/lb
Whole pork bellies, $3.29/lb
And best of all, they have tri tips again, not cheap at $7.99/lb., but well trimmed and look high end Choice.

Your TT price is great. The only place I can get it regularly here is Wegman's and their Angus TT is 11.99/lb.

Your TT price is great. The only place I can get it regularly here is Wegman's and their Angus TT is 11.99/lb.
I can get Choice tri tips for $5.99/lb on sale, but they're packer, vac sealed and untrimmed.
They weigh a fair amount less after trimming, I like that the the ones at Costco are well trimmed of fat.

I can get Choice tri tips for $5.99/lb on sale, but they're packer, vac sealed and untrimmed.
They weigh a fair amount less after trimming, I like that the the ones at Costco are well trimmed of fat.

We get the TT packers whole in the bag at Safeway in the spring for $3.99 a pound but like you said untrimmed. Still a bargain though.

Today, 09/17/2020, at our Costco after getting our flu shot.
Gasoline $1.64 gallon.
Prime packer briskets, sign said $3.49/lb., most of them were marked $3.39/lb.
The only meat we bought was 83/17 ground beef for $2.99/lb. and these bone in chuck short ribs for $7.99/lb. Marked Choice, marbled like Prime.

1600362306947.png

Sam's displayed a few prime briskets of late for about $3.50 per pound. I sure wanted one, but I am afraid I'll mess it up, and I am not sure what to do with all of that meat. How much does the average brisket weigh after a long smoke?

Briskets work out a lot smaller than you'd think. A 50% yield on a brisket is in the ballpark, depending on how aggressively you trim. So that $3.49 a pound price is not quite as cheap as it sounds.

And you wind up with two final cooked pieces. If you use the point for a second meal/use (burnt ends, chili, pulled beef), then the flat by itself goes pretty quick.

Sam's displayed a few prime briskets of late for about $3.50 per pound. I sure wanted one, but I am afraid I'll mess it up, and I am not sure what to do with all of that meat. How much does the average brisket weigh after a long smoke?
Rusty I think it's easier to get a good result with a Prime Brisket because of the extra marbling in the flat. I had a 12 pounder finish at 192 IT and it was fantastic. It's only me and the wife and I have two hunks of flat in the freezer for meals later. You can cook so you won't mess it up. When you do it right it's incredible. When you screw it up it still tastes great.

Rusty I think it's easier to get a good result with a Prime Brisket because of the extra marbling in the flat. I had a 12 pounder finish at 192 IT and it was fantastic. It's only me and the wife and I have two hunks of flat in the freezer for meals later. You can cook so you won't mess it up. When you do it right it's incredible. When you screw it up it still tastes great.

Yeah I know the screw it up part, my last Brisket and my first on the Camp Chef was a failure compared to my other brisket cooks. Pilot error on my part. Will know the next time to use the upper rack instead of the lower one.
But you're right still tasted great. Made two dishes using the overdone flat that I diced up, came out really good.

Rusty, go ahead and do one, like TonyUK told me one time when I was fretting over doing my first brisket, “put your big boy pants on and just do one!”
Once you have done one the worry is gone! $3.29 for prime at Costco here yesterday, no room in the freezer or I’d have gotten one.

Rusty, go ahead and do one, like TonyUK told me one time when I was fretting over doing my first brisket, “put your big boy pants on and just do one!”
Once you have done one the worry is gone! $3.29 for prime at Costco here yesterday, no room in the freezer or I’d have gotten one.

Man, I would pounce on a prime brisket at $3.29....Except Barb has declared a moratorium on any new purchases that will occupy space in any of the freezers. She has declared that space as reserved for her holiday cookies and breads from now to the end of December. That's why I had to cook the brisket I had. She politely asked me to get that beast outa there as it was occupying to much space that she needed.
Of course I compiled with her whishes as I got the death stare when I said I didn't want to do it yet.

Back