This could just be Florida's First Tri Tip

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
Or at least the first I know about. :p I mentioned somewhere on here that I managed to score a Tri Tip at Publix. I'm guessing that it's probably way more expensive here than it is out where people are cooking them all of the time. I think this piece was $21 and some change. I'll keep you in suspense as to whether it was worth it.

I decided that I would try to follow Chris' recipe as closely as I could with a couple of planned variations. The first variation was that I was not going to use Accent. I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes in terms of flavor, but I didn't have any and wasn't going to go buy some just for this one cut of meat (in case it was something we didn't like). Another variation was that I decided to cook it on the kettle. Since it's a higher temp. cook, I decided it's not worth all of the work to set up the WSM. Just figured that I would do indirect and then give her a little sear. Finally, I haven't seen oak in stores around here recently. So, I had some hickory laying around and decided that was what I would use for the smoke. As for the unplanned variation, well...I'm not even sure it's a variation...the recipe calls for non-iodized table salt. At first, I was going to use regular table salt (but I decided that would be too much), then a Google search told me that kosher salt is "non iodized." So, I went with kosher salt instead. I'm still not sure what was meant by non-iodized table salt, so if you know tell me. Please? Anyways, onto the cook:

Gratuitous pre-cook meat shot:
myOONW8m.jpg

The old, still dirty kettle (I swear I'll clean it one day), set up indirect heat one both sides (drip pan in the middle), loaded up and away she goes:
mI51gqtm.jpg

I thought that it would take the meat about 45 minutes to cook to medium rare based on Chris' recipe and having had just done the turkey breast in the morning. So, after about 20 minutes, I gave her a flip. At about the 30 minute mark, my Spidey Sense told me that the meat was done and I should go check the temp. When I did, I was disappointed to find that I had over shot. The highest reading was like 145* or 150*. Dadgummit. :mad: I knew at this point that searing it would be stupid. So, no pretty sear marks. Just pulled her off of the grill. I decided that I'd go ahead and let her rest for 20. I may have overdone meat, but at least I wouldn't have dry overdone meat. I forgot to take a pre-slicing picture, but the tri tip was beautiful.

Here she is all sliced up and ready to serve:
p0f9LC4m.jpg

You can see that parts of her still had some pink. You can also see the juices all over the cookie sheet. Mmmmmm.

Oh, and while she was resting, I took a piece of watermelon that the misses had just sliced up and put a little brown sugar and pepper on it and threw it over the coals. By this point, they had burned down a lot, so I never really got those beautiful grill marks. But, I could taste the influence of the grill for sure.
bGmpa81m.jpg

Here's the plated meal:
RgE4bzam.jpg

So, what did I think of the Tri Tip? Well, despite having seriously overcooked it, it was FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC!!! Seriously, y'all need to stop hoarding this stuff out west and let us East Coasters have more of it around here. Having had it, I'm kinda mad that it's taken me almost 42 years to find and try it. It was tender, juicy, flavorful and lean. Just a fantastic piece of beef. There were spots that were a little too salty, which I attribute to either the amount of kosher salt I used (3 tbsps, as I was trying to stick to the recipe) or, more likely, uneven application by the chef. That would explain why it was only overly salty in spots. Anyways, my wife put a little ranch dressing on hers. I loved mine plain, but because I got a couple of salty bites, I decided to put some bleu cheese dressing on mine. It was soooo good.

I'd say that our experiment with the grilled watermelon was a success too. We hadn't done that before and, despite the missing grill marks, we really enjoyed the flavor. All in all, it was a darn good meal. I can't wait to repeat it!!

Congrats on your first tri tip Dan, it looks delicious!

Please allow me one suggestion, it's looks like at least some of it was sliced with the grain, it's much better sliced across.
It can be tricky, so Chris made a video:

Congrats on your first tri tip Dan, it looks delicious!

Please allow me one suggestion, it's looks like at least some of it was sliced with the grain, it's much better sliced across.
It can be tricky, so Chris made a video:

Hahaha...ya caught me. I admittedly did not concern myself with slicing across the grain the whole time. I blame the beer and being in too much of a rush to try it. :eek:

I'm always open to suggestions, so please don't hesitate to give me tips!! Got any insight into the salt?

Great first TT Dan, now you know why us westerners have been keeping TT a secret, well kinda. Great beefy flavor and texture. I know everyone has a favorite way to grill it, me just a very light coat of SPOG is what we like and on the rare side.

I'm with Rich, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder is all you need, and you can control the amount of salt.

Didn't want to bump my own thread, here's how to make kettle fried chicken.
Use a store bought breading mix, or make your own with plain bread crumbs and your favorite spice mix.
I like Weber's Steak and Chop seasoning on about everything.
Shake chicken pieces in a bag with the breading, spray each lightly with oil, grill indirect until done, and then a little direct (carefully) to brown up.

Grilled watermelon?? :p

Now that's a new one on me, but I must try it with *my* trip-tip, if I can find one soon enough.

How the heck this cut of meat stayed on the other side of the Mississippi River for so long is beyond me.

Great looking dish, Dan - even if it is grayish looking.

Great first TT Dan, now you know why us westerners have been keeping TT a secret, well kinda. Great beefy flavor and texture. I know everyone has a favorite way to grill it, me just a very light coat of SPOG is what we like and on the rare side.

I really wanted it rare-medium rare. Such a beautiful cut of meat, it deserves better than what I did to it. Next time. :)

I'm with Rich, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder is all you need, and you can control the amount of salt.

Didn't want to bump my own thread, here's how to make kettle fried chicken.
Use a store bought breading mix, or make your own with plain bread crumbs and your favorite spice mix.
I like Weber's Steak and Chop seasoning on about everything.
Shake chicken pieces in a bag with the breading, spray each lightly with oil, grill indirect until done, and then a little direct (carefully) to brown up.

It's really that simple? Wow! Looks great...Thank you!!

That's a great looking plate of food. It all looks real yummy.

Thanks!

Grilled watermelon?? :p

Now that's a new one on me, but I must try it with *my* trip-tip, if I can find one soon enough.

How the heck this cut of meat stayed on the other side of the Mississippi River for so long is beyond me.

Great looking dish, Dan - even if it is grayish looking.

I think it's something I came across when I was looking to do Chris' fruit grilling showdown. I did a search and the simplest way to make it was some brown sugar and pepper. If you like watermelon, you'll really like it. It's only supposed to cook like a minute each side, just long enough to get a little caramelization going.

Looks tasty!

I'll be smoking up 40 pounds worth on Saturday for my in-laws 50th.

I like to keep things simple with tri tip. I'll be marinating over night in Worcestershire, rubbing with Salt pepper onion powder garlic powder. Wood will be 50/50 cherry and Kiawe. Because I am cooking for a crowd I'll pull these at 130° let them coast up to 135° and hold until service. Then slice and into the chaffing pans right before serving.

Congrats on your first tri-tip, all it takes is one to put you on the quest for perfect tri-tip. Outside of the west coast, finding them is rough, just have to hunt and find a butcher that will consistently carry them and even then it is going to cost you. I'm hoping with the influx of Cali transplants to the Dallas area that Sam's or Costco will start carrying them or at least take orders for a cryovac bag of them, right now all they have is the pre-marinated ones which simply put, is not the same.

Looks tasty!

I'll be smoking up 40 pounds worth on Saturday for my in-laws 50th.

I like to keep things simple with tri tip. I'll be marinating over night in Worcestershire, rubbing with Salt pepper onion powder garlic powder. Wood will be 50/50 cherry and Kiawe. Because I am cooking for a crowd I'll pull these at 130° let them coast up to 135° and hold until service. Then slice and into the chaffing pans right before serving.

What time? If I leave now, I can probably make it on time. :cool: That's basically the way that I do London Broil on the grill, I could see how that would be really good with the tri tip. Congrats to the in-laws!!!!

I went to a local grocery store chain, and they said that they don't carry them.

Look, there are cows in the east as well in the west. Why can't the eastern cows leave their tri-tip with us instead of shipping it out west. :p

I went to a local grocery store chain, and they said that they don't carry them.

Look, there are cows in the east as well in the west. Why can't the eastern cows leave their tri-tip with us instead of shipping it out west. :p

Wrong side of town, I suppose.

Hi Dan, good job on that TT! If you're interested here are a couple of YouTube videos on Santa Maria bbq which is where Tri Tip originated from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NazwmKg2eYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYHk3bhT3V0

I use Red Oak chunks from Fruita Wood when I do TT (the flavor is unbelievable), although they are a little pricey it is a very good product. Last time I ordered a 10#, 2 wood combo of the Red & Post Oak. I found an "Onion sack" size of Red oak Splits for $19 from Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters, but the shipping is cost prohibitive unless you order 2 bags and split it with someone. Also the Susie Q's and Jocko's Mix seasonings are both excellent on Tri Tip, although it is easy to mix up your own SPG or SPOG to ratios of your own liking. Now that you have tried though you will be on the hunt for it. One of the videos above has a butchering segment showing how and where it is cut from, that you could show to your butcher, lol.

Back