This could just be Florida's First Tri Tip

Hi Dan, good job on that TT! If you're interested here are a couple of YouTube videos on Santa Maria bbq which is where Tri Tip originated from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NazwmKg2eYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYHk3bhT3V0

I use Red Oak chunks from Fruita Wood when I do TT (the flavor is unbelievable), although they are a little pricey it is a very good product. Last time I ordered a 10#, 2 wood combo of the Red & Post Oak. I found an "Onion sack" size of Red oak Splits for $19 from Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters, but the shipping is cost prohibitive unless you order 2 bags and split it with someone. Also the Susie Q's and Jocko's Mix seasonings are both excellent on Tri Tip, although it is easy to mix up your own SPG or SPOG to ratios of your own liking. Now that you have tried though you will be on the hunt for it. One of the videos above has a butchering segment showing how and where it is cut from, that you could show to your butcher, lol.

Thanks Doug!! I'll check them out!!! How would you describe red oak flavor?

As for the unplanned variation, well...I'm not even sure it's a variation...the recipe calls for non-iodized table salt. At first, I was going to use regular table salt (but I decided that would be too much), then a Google search told me that kosher salt is "non iodized." So, I went with kosher salt instead. I'm still not sure what was meant by non-iodized table salt, so if you know tell me.
If you shop at a decent grocery store you should be able to find non-iodized table salt (I've seen the Hain brand), and even if you can't find anything labeled that way a fine-ground kosher or sea salt is a good substitute (although the Reese brand is really fine - almost powdery). Generally speaking a coarse salt has roughly half the weight of an equal measure of a fine salt so being able to multiply and divide by 2 is a handy skill.;)

Nice job for a first try! Recently I've been able to find tri-tip a little more often here in southern WI but it's still a hit-or-miss proposition outside of special orders.

If you shop at a decent grocery store you should be able to find non-iodized table salt (I've seen the Hain brand), and even if you can't find anything labeled that way a fine-ground kosher or sea salt is a good substitute (although the Reese brand is really fine - almost powdery). Generally speaking a coarse salt has roughly half the weight of an equal measure of a fine salt so being able to multiply and divide by 2 is a handy skill.;)

Nice job for a first try! Recently I've been able to find tri-tip a little more often here in southern WI but it's still a hit-or-miss proposition outside of special orders.

Thanks!! The non-iodized table salt thing is entirely on me. I didn't pay attention to that until I realized what Infirst poured was iodized and I didn't have any non-iodized. Never had to use non-iodized before, so just gave it no thought until I saw it poured out and thought that that was a lot of salt. So, it's table salt without the added iodine right? I'm sure the label will say so.

Exactly. And AFAIK there's no difference in weight and volume between iodized and non-iodized table salt.

You could always measure a tablespoon of standard table salt into something like a ramekin, small measuring cup, etc. and note the weight, and then use that weight as a reference for future recipes that call for kosher or sea salt. I think I did that a long time ago but I've no idea where that note card is now.;)

Exactly. And AFAIK there's no difference in weight and volume between iodized and non-iodized table salt.

You could always measure a tablespoon of standard table salt into something like a ramekin, small measuring cup, etc. and note the weight, and then use that weight as a reference for future recipes that call for kosher or sea salt. I think I did that a long time ago but I've no idea where that note card is now.;)

So, why non-iodized instead of iodized? Does it change the flavor?

It's been rumored that some people once heard from a cousin who knew the sister of the guy that found the rat in the Kentucky Fried Chicken that it might change the flavor. Allegedly.

So...YMMV.;)

Me, I prefer to take no chances and use non-iodized for cooking and iodized for the table.

It's been rumored that some people once heard from a cousin who knew the sister of the guy that found the rat in the Kentucky Fried Chicken that it might change the flavor. Allegedly.

So...YMMV.;)

Me, I prefer to take no chances and use non-iodized for cooking and iodized for the table.

THANKS Brad!!!!

Back