Thinking of buying a used weber gas grill.

No it's not. Ask yourself............What is the difference narrow or short? On the E/W style yes the area is "narrow" if using center burner off outside on. If doing front or rear burner only area is MUCH larger. Also the older Genesis is about 22" wide and the area used for a 2 burner indirect cook is about 10". So 10"x22" = 220 Sq in. Ask me it's a HECKUVA lot more space than the n/s configuration. Much more versatile when doing a rotisserie cook also. Frankly IMO when they went with the n/s configuration on such a small grill with only 3 burners I believed (still do) the Weber engineers sold their souls to the devil. Of course now they've sold them to the Chinese (but a different story and argument LOL)

Thank you. I suppose because I haven't physically seen one nor looked for accurate pics I did not realize the actual area. Now--especially since I cannot buy one--I feel motivated to search for one, lol.

Unless you have a large enough grill and enough burners for better control there really are no benefits. Sure I can see it in my Wolf but you can fit nearly 2 Genesis grills inside it. But I also have the Summit 450 (exact same cooking area as older Genesis) and see no benefit. Only the downside that it is useless for rotisserie cooking. Heck without the IR rear burner even the Wolf would be pretty much useless for anything other than straight up grilling (though because of it's size and number of burners it is far more versatile than the Summit).

I've had both, my 1999 genesis 1000 I bought new and still have (my favorite grill out of the eight Weber's I have) and a 2006 genesis E320 these are E/W burners. I also had a Ducane three burner with N/S burners. Never could get the hang of the Ducane and as LM said the rotisserie was worthless and it's a shame because the unit was really well built. I finally gave up and sold it.
But those who have had a N/S configuration from the start I'm sure would have a difficult time adjusting to the E/W burners.

Well, I've finally got it together, minus the swing up table which I'm in the process of refinishing.

That brown butcher paper sure comes in handy.

Frame reassembled. I put in all stainless bolts. My wife of course point out how it sticks out.

Painting the fire box.

Putting it back together.

Installing the new burners.

Had to replace the missing manifold bracket.

She cleans up really nice!

The table turned out well. The only hang up was that I measured the old boards which had a apparently shrunk over time and came out with 15 inches. I think its closer to 15 1/3.

The wheels and casters were fine.

New grates and flavorizer bars from rcplanebuyer. He also hooked me up with a used swing table. I'm still refinishing the wood. That guy is awesome.

Coming up to temp.

All in all this was fun. There are some things I'd do differently with the paint on the firebox. The main issue is the previous owner melted something plastic on the left side and I cleaned it all off but the paint is uneven there. Next time I paint the firebox (it's gonna be a while) I'll probably strip it down to bare metal. I can't wait to cook on this thing. Thanks to everyone on the help!

Last edited:

Coming up to temp.

All in all this was fun. There are some things I'd do differently with the paint on the firebox. The main issue is the previous owner melted something plastic on the left side and I cleaned it all off but the paint is uneven there. Next time I paint the firebox (it's gonna be a while) I'll probably strip it down to bare metal. I can't wait to cook on this thing. Thanks to everyone on the help!

Wow, awesome job Dustin!! I'd think twice about stripping down to bare metal. If you look at that last pic, you can see texture in the paint of the end cap. Firebox has that same texture. Stripping down to bare metal will remove that texture and any surface flaws will be very noticeable.

Damn good looking project. Now there is a grill that will out cook and out last the new Chinese stuff Weber is pawning off.

Beautiful restore. I have that same grill (except my hood is black) that I inherited from my father. You are going to love it.

Great job Dustin, that grill looks great and best of all its green. I can't believe that's the handle I sent you, it looks like new. Hope you have many years of great cooks with it.

Great work, what a beauty!

Very impressive work, disassembling the frame, getting every detail completed down to the wood handle.

Excellent job, you're going to love that grill when you're just slamming a couple of burgers (let's not forget, this is a charcoal guy coming to the "dark" side!).

Dustin - get outta here! This is seriously the same grill ??!

GaNz8Zo.jpg

NICE WORK MAN! Have you cooked on it yet? How does it feel to bask in greatness?

Dustin - get outta here! This is seriously the same grill ??!

GaNz8Zo.jpg

NICE WORK MAN! Have you cooked on it yet? How does it feel to bask in greatness?

Thanks for the kind words! I cooked on it last night. I just did some brats and then some carmelized onions in a cast iron skillet on the side. I noticed the grill seemed hotter towards the rear. After the cook I decided to investigate. You can't see the flames that well because of all the flavorizer bars so I looked underneath by sliding out the grease pan and lo and behold I had installed the center burner upside down somehow. I think I was way too excited putting it together. I fixed that which should hopefully even things out somewhat. Other than that the flames look roughly even.

Back