Thinking of buying a used weber gas grill.

Pat, I think it's gonna clean up but we'll see. I ordered the rcplanebuyer bars and grates, some burners, and an igniter kit. I'm going to clean out the firebox tomorrow and get it out of the frame to check out the rust. I'm really hopefully it's just surface rust. It seams to be. Luckily, North Texas is relatively dry. I'm right now trying to figure out what to do about the handle which is completely rotted. The side table wood should be easy.

An angle grinder and a cup wire brush will make quick work of the inside of the firebox

Dustin, looking for one of these? It needs to be refinished but no rot or splits if you want it PM me, you pay for the shipping and it's yours.

DSCN5706_zps85mn1ica.jpg

This is the inside of the crossmember the firebox bolts into. It's in good shape. I'm in the process of cleaning out the firebox now. I'm trying the wire cup thing with a drill but I don't think it's powerful enough. What solvents are safe with aluminum? I've heard Easy Off is a big no no as it can etch and eat aluminum. I almost bought a Harbor Freight cheapo grinder but that place is a madhouse lately.
I'm also tracking down the hardware I need. I noticed I'm missing the manifold bracket for some reason. I'm guessing someone changed the regulator at some point and lost it.

I've got something weird on the left outside of the firebox where it looks like some plastic melted to it. Not sure what to do there.

This is the inside of the crossmember the firebox bolts into. It's in good shape. I'm in the process of cleaning out the firebox now. I'm trying the wire cup thing with a drill but I don't think it's powerful enough. What solvents are safe with aluminum? I've heard Easy Off is a big no no as it can etch and eat aluminum. I almost bought a Harbor Freight cheapo grinder but that place is a madhouse lately.
I'm also tracking down the hardware I need. I noticed I'm missing the manifold bracket for some reason. I'm guessing someone changed the regulator at some point and lost it.

I've got something weird on the left outside of the firebox where it looks like some plastic melted to it. Not sure what to do there.

Dustin, I've been in the exact same place, finding that a drill just didn't have the power. Someone here advocated a cheap grinder from HF and it was the best suggestion ever. Seriously, the gunk just disappears. Think I paid $10 for mine

Well, I bought the grinder and that's definitely the way to go. I went to try it out in the garage and my wife wasn't thrilled when I walked in covered in black crud. Definitely a good idea to wear a dust mask and you'd be insane to not wear eye protection.

I've also got this overwhelming urge to take those left screws for the burners out.

Resist the urge Grasshopper. Trust those who have gone before you. This is not the correct path LOL

I've also got this overwhelming urge to take those left screws for the burners out.

Like I said, Don't do it! They will not come out you will snap them off. Listen to those who have learned the hard way. Put the wrench down and back away slowly.

Got the firebox as cleaned out as it's going to get. I may take a stiff wire brush to some of the gunk in the crevices. Those two bolt heads live to fight another day.

Greenies Rule Dustin. yours should clean up nice. this was a $50 CL find. little elbow grease and about $100 in burners, bars, and misc parts. greatest gasser Ive ever had!
grill_zpsxb6sy7ww.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
hens_zpsvx3jidbd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
7009869C-4696-4023-89CB-2B5A9FBFD8C7_zpso6az04dc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
That middle photo is just one of the reasons those old deep fire box E/W burner Genesis grills blow the newer ones outta the water IMO

Yep LM, shut down or lower the center burner and use the front and back for some indirect heat, while grilling over the live burners. Gota luv these old deep box Gennies.

Yep LM, shut down or lower the center burner and use the front and back for some indirect heat, while grilling over the live burners. Gota luv these old deep box Gennies.

You're right even with eight Weber's my deep box greenie is the most versatile grill I own. Never fails to get it right.

Get a great sear on a steak
image_zpssfa7pjg4.jpeg

image_zpsmcpcozpl.jpeg

Loads of Korean BBQ
ribs_zpshxssvbb5.jpg

image_zpsk9ng0htk.jpg

slow roast a chicken and veggies at the same time
image_zpsfwuquzxp.jpg

Whats not to like? this thing is 20yrs old and lots more to give :)

I got my new bars and grates in from rcplanebuyer. I cut and finished new boards for the side tabe. Thanks to Rich Dahl for hooking me up with a lid handle!

I've got some crud on the inside of the lid that simply doesn't want to come off. The outside has some raised light brown bumps that look like paint that are stubborn? Any ideas? I'm still waiting on some parts to come in and I'm going to paint next weekend.

That grill looks awesome already! I'm just a novice and purchased my first Weber last Fall (the now discontinued E-330). I am curious; on the E-W burner configuration is indirect an issue due to a narrow real estate?

Back