Thinking of buying a used weber gas grill.

I have a 2005 Honda Pilot and had no issue fitting on its side with the lid off (remove the two cotter pins and hinge pins).

I moved my Genesis Platinum II as well as my 5000 series grill in my 2004 Honda Pilot. I put both of them on their side and did not remove the lids, just bungeed them closed.

Jeff

I'm going to pick this one up saturday for 60 bucks.

Any red flags? I looked carefully at the first photo, and what looks like a ding in the lower right corner looks like gunk.

This is another one in the area for 20 but it looks rougher. With our Nissan rogue I've got room for one with the back seats down.

I realized that first one is a spirit. Nothing wrong with that but my heart is set on 13 flavorizer bars for some reason. I messaged about the green one. I'm just worried about its frame.

I think the green one could be better overall but it looks to be missing a flip up table. The frames are pretty easy to fix

Dustin, you won't regret the 13 flavorizer bars...it takes maybe a few mins longer to get the grill hot but it's even heat. Get rcplanebuyers bars off eBay...after 2 years mine are only discolored

I definitely wanna get the rcplanebuyer bars and probably the grates as well. I don't think the table missing is that big of a deal breaker although I wish it was there. At 20 bucks though I'm not gonna be too picky. I think the color is cool. My wife wouldn't approve of the red one if she knew they were called redheads. She knows too much about my past when it comes to that, lol.

I'm partial to the green also.
This is the grill I bought new in 1999, it's a 1000LX. The second picture I converted it into a 3000 frame and added a right hand flip up shelf and ditched the side burner and install a second fixed shelf.
If I could only keep one of my eight Weber's this would be the one I would keep

S1031100_zpsvsho1sxl.jpg

DSCN2766_zpsdmwcarxc.jpg

This is another I've found. What's up with that hinge? He included that picture for a reason. I think this looks way better than the green other than that. It's 75 and includes the tank.

Last edited:
I don't know. Really hard to tell since when you try to open the photos the stupid web site (Photobucket) throws up and ad window that takes the whole screen over

The guy already sold it. That was posted yesterday. He said it was in perfect condition just to rub salt in the wound. Well, I'm at a disadvantage being a 2 hr drive away. The green one will be more fun.

The guy already sold it. That was posted yesterday. He said it was in perfect condition just to rub salt in the wound. Well, I'm at a disadvantage being a 2 hr drive away. The green one will be more fun.

Pffft, according to sellers, just about everything sold on CL is "perfect condition". Grill was probably ratted out and past it's last leg. :D

Pffft, according to sellers, just about everything sold on CL is "perfect condition". Grill was probably ratted out and past it's last leg. :D

I once drove an hour to pickup a first generation summit propane model. Turned out to be a rust bucket and had to walk away.

Well I finally got a grill. I went through all kind of crap trying to get other in better shape grills but every deal kept falling through or I'd just miss it. I put in an offer on a Gold B last night, in a sudden panic that this grill would be junk. She accepted and then cancelled on me 20 minutes later because she realized someone had emailed her earlier. That one was 180 and in REALLY nice shape. But I guess this green one was just meant to be, and it's a good thing, because that Gold would not have fit in my car that well. This thing was 20 bucks plus about 30 in gas.

The Nissan Rogue is less SUV and more tall hatchback!

Here she is. I know that it missing the swing up table is going to eventually drive me crazy and getting a new one is more expensive than buying a used grill.

Hopefully the rust ring will come off the control panel.

The frame cross-member is starting to rust but it seems structurally sound. Not sure what it will look like on the inside. I'm probably going to PB blaster the bolt overnight and hope it some out without too much nightmare.

Ding on the back of the lid.

This thing was FULL of gunk. Flavorizer bars were down to rust, I didn't take the grates which looked to be enameled.

The front burner is toast, the other 2 are most likely ok. I'll probably replace them all.

Another random inside pic. It looks like the manifold is held down with wingnuts on the other side. Should I replace these bolts?

A pic of the label. Looks like a 98 model?

Manifold side. I see some surface rust on it. The knobs turn well.

The sliding rails for the grease pan are in good shape. I've heard those bolts are a pita, but I'm wondering if I should address them now.

Anyway, I'm probably wearing everyone out on this thread, but I'm having fun. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Congrats Dustin, you've got some work ahead of you but when you're done you will have a great grill.
I'll add something in case it wasn't mentioned, when you go to replace the burners you will see bolts at the end of the tubes DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THEM they will snap off. You may have to clean some gunk from around the bolts but the burners will slide out from under them and you take them out through the holes in the fire box where the manifold is.
Remember a few of use have been through these restores and I'm sure along with myself we will be here if you need help.

Dustin, I may have a matching control panel that's in better shape. I'll check when I get home.

Last edited:
Pat, I think it's gonna clean up but we'll see. I ordered the rcplanebuyer bars and grates, some burners, and an igniter kit. I'm going to clean out the firebox tomorrow and get it out of the frame to check out the rust. I'm really hopefully it's just surface rust. It seams to be. Luckily, North Texas is relatively dry. I'm right now trying to figure out what to do about the handle which is completely rotted. The side table wood should be easy.

Back