Things that make you SMILE...or "the Human Interest thread"

Frank in Colorado

TVWBB Super Fan
Folks,

I like the camaraderie here. I joined because of the common hardware of grilling equipment. But it has blossomed to much more of a "virtual family" of sorts. I like the humor thread and love the music conversations. May I humbly suggest another topic of good will: A topic of good gesture of things that touch your heart. Things that are uplifting (Lord know we need some of that in these times!)

Things that are not necessarily humorous since there is a thread for that, but it does not necessarily exclude such from being added here.
Things that are not necessarily music in nature, but if it is a toddler that strums a guitar in diapers it is most defiantly welcome!

Topics do not need to be pictures or videos; a tale or vignette is fantastic. Writing is a lost art and recollections of inspiring stories are most welcome!

Maybe they bring a smile to your face or make you reminisce. Maybe they sadden you but in some sort of way make you feel better or long for a simpler way of life.
Maybe it is a refreshing snippet that makes a better day for you just by reading or viewing. :)

May I start this by including the following... and please, add your items of good cheer!

Simple form of chivalry.

Fan makes catch to save girlfriend from foul ball:

Pure innocence.

These Kids Just Discovered Their Shadows | Cosmopolitan

Sage.

103 Year Old Man Gives His Last Piece Of Advice!

Something that makes me smile is when Pammi leaves the front door open so our 2 dachshunds can see me when I pull into our driveway. They get so excited to see me, tails a-wagging, and run away as soon as I open the door to come in to tell her that "daddy" is home!

True story from eons ago: Good buddy of mine was celebrating his bday at home with his wife and twin five year old boys. At 4pm that afternoon, before his wife came home, he heard giggling and munching noises coming from beneath the dining table. Curious, he lifted the table skirt to find his boys literally covered in frosting from his bday ice-cream cake, which they had removed from the freezer.

When he asked what they were doing, they replied that mommy told them to do it. They said, "Mommy told us to defrost the cake before she comes home." Best part of the story was that at bathtime, he found frosting in their armpits.

Last Saturday night, we went to a dancehall to see Jimmy Vaughan. It was our first indoor live music event for about a year (we're fully vaxxed now). About halfway through the show, Jimmy brought Sam Moore up on stage. He's the "Sam" in Sam & Dave -- the Soul Man himself. He's 86-years-old and blind and had a struggle just to get to the mic. But once the music started, he got 30 years younger and put on a great show. His voice is still strong and he's still a great showman. I've been smiling at the image ever since.
Jeff

Sam & Jimmy by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

So I happened across a story this morning (link below) about an elderly man going to beauty school to learn to do his wife's makeup; her vision was failing and was burning herself as a result of trying to use a curling iron.

What stuck out to me about the story is remembrances of similar about my parents. My mother had the cancer. This was back in the early 80’s and I was only 18 years trying to learn to fly on my own. It was a rough patch for me of which I was still trying to comprehend. I was confused and angry but did not know why.

My father knew the righteous path.

As ugly as the cancer is, the beautiful thing of my mother getting it was that I was able to witness the love between my mom and dad. She wanted to enjoy her last days in the home that they had built together; they bought it in 1949 and she did not want to be in a sterile hospital but rather in the warmth of the of the home they made.

Home care providers would check in a couple time a week, but there would need to be someone to care for her every need, hand and foot (and other parts) and be on call 24/7. Dad was up to the task. To him this was a labor of love, sans the labor. He was a child of the depression and fought in WWII having seen combat on Guadalcanal. He has seen tough times and perhaps even the worst of humanity towards fellow man from his earlier days. Now he is witnessing a disease engulf the love of his life.

He was up to the challenge of caring for mom. I saw it every day. My reaction of the situation was to ignore it. Perhaps I did not want to acknowledge it. Shunning it (and her) somehow made it go away. Dad tackled this head-on with full-might and tenderness. Even thought the cancer caused the situation in which they found themselves, I was able to witness the unbridled love. Seeing this take place is the only good thing about my mom suffering the disease.

My mother died at the age of 64 (on her birthday, ironically.)

Anyway, the story that evoked this personal emotion is this one:
Elderly man goes to beauty school to learn to do his wife's makeup

A devoted 79-year-old husband visited a beauty school to get lessons in hair and makeup to help his "beautiful" wite who can no longer get ready by herself.
The gentleman walked in to the college and told director Carrie Hannah that he wanted to learn how to use the curling wand.
His wife's vision was failing and she keeps burning herself as a result, so he wanted tips from the staff at Delmar College of Hair and Esthetics in Alberta, Canada.
The man, who wants to remain anonymous, was paired with a student and mannequin and was taught how to operate the curling wand and protect his wife's skin.
The adorable OAP also asked for tips on applying her mascara.
Carrie said: "My staff and students were so touched by his sincere wish to help his wife of 50 plus years.
"He lovingly pulled pictures from his wallet, showing everyone his wife, and boasting about how beautiful she has always been and how talented she was with the skillset of typing over 100 words a minute when she was working.
"Her appearance has always been something she has taken pride in and it's important to her so therefore important to him.
"They look after each other and still have love and admiration for each other — that had all of us in tears after he left a very special experience.
"I will forever be grateful to have been able to assist such a lovely couple.
"He also asked for tips on applying mascara because that task was hard for her also, so we gave him a makeup lesson too!
"He spent about an hour with us for lessons on curling iron sets and mascara application.
"He is turning 80 in May, and I think he is also a very brave man for stepping into a hair college and asking for lessons on styling hair I don't think too many men would do that.
"That's what real love looks like and glad our staff and students had an opportunity to be part of this too.
"In an age of staged social media photos it was really great to see an authentic real human gesture of love."
The husband attended the college on a quiet afternoon on April 22, and the man and his wife have both visited the college since to express their gratitude.
Carrie said: "They both also are impressed with his new professional skills and her hair is looking great!"

My lovely wife and best friend Barb. This last two weeks I had 9 doctors appointments and she was there with me for every one.
She is going to be 75 in June and has the energy that makes the energizer bunny look like a slacker.
With her the last 38 years of my life have been better then I could have ever hoped for.
When she was diagnosed with cancer two years ago I was totally freaked and she looked at me and said "I'll beat this" and she did and is now cancer free.
Truly the best of the best.

Frank, to quote you "Maybe they bring a smile to your face or make you reminisce. Maybe they sadden you but in some sort of way make you feel better or long for a simpler way of life."

The smile, my one and only granddaughter just graduated from college. What saddens me, I miss her when she and her little brother used to run around the house playing and chasing each other and laughing. And the times when DH would take them in the pool and I would be standing in the kitchen fixing dinner and looking out the kitchen window at the pool and watching them play and I could hear them laughing and having a good time. Yes, they were the simpler way of life. We could visit with our family, hug and kiss them. Dear God, will we ever have those times again?

If he's going to be just a good ol' dog, never meanin' no harm, then the choice is obvious.

My granddaughter was born with a bilateral cleft palate and has since undergone 3 surgeries with probably 1 or 2 more to come. Seeing the smile on her face puts a smile on mine.

Back