Things that make you SMILE...or "the Human Interest thread"

It has been many years since having that brew.... used to to be big into Canadian beers, eh.

Moosehead, Molsen, Black Label, Labatts...

I think Moosehead is still brewed in Canada and it is an OK brew.

Yup, still brewed here by the Oland family. Started out in Nova Scotia and our local major junior hockey team is the Halifax Mooseheads. Brewed by the Oland’s in Saint John New Brunswick now. Richard Garcia from Costa Rica here on this forum likes it too.

"It has the look of something valuable and hard-won, a delicacy that has crossed deserts on camels. It works best as a finishing salt—one sprinkles it on vegetables, butter, caramel, or grilled meat, just before serving. As for the taste, Maldon is considered less bitter, less salty than other salts.Mar 31, 2017"

Well, well, the things we learn on this site. Thank you Bob and thank you Chris.

Well, well...kosher salt AND Maldon salt in your salt box. Pretty high falutin! ;)
Two 8.5 oz. boxes of Maldon have lasted me a few years now.
I had to buy my Diamond Crystal Kosher salt from Amazon, can't find it locally anymore.
A 3 lb box cost me $11.48 last year, the price now showing is $9.74.
I think is was member Geir Widar who tipped me, and others, off to Maldon.

OT, sure miss Geir's posts.
Concerned about @Clint, @Cliff Bartlett, and a few others not posting lately.
Cliff hasn't replied yet to a PM from me.

Last edited:
The Graffiti Bridge

My sister who lives on the Florida panhandle near Pepsicola sent me this video. We chat and keep in touch about it because there was a similar bridge in the next town over from where we all grew up in New Jersey. Neat video.

link to video:
The Graffiti Bridge

One quip that caught my was the snip below:
1620662411585.png

‘Humble hero’ jumps off Maryland bridge to save toddler who was ejected from truck in car crash

With all the crap on the "news" you may have missed this selfless event from a couple of weeks ago...

Story here:

Video here:

Postal worker steps up to the plate to go beyond work requirements....

Saw this article on my lunch break:

Alaska postal worker pays extra postage for couple’s wedding invitations ...The couple didn’t realize the invitations needed extra postage because of the wax seals

Story here:

A postal worker in Alaska saved a coupkes big day when he paid the extra postage required to send their wedding invitations.

When they put their wedding invitations in the mail last month, Crystle Lewis and her fiance, from the Wasilla, Alaska area, thought they had included enough postage.

However, the wax seal on the envelope meant that the invitations needed a bit more postage than Lewis had anticipated, according to KTUU.
The station reported that the 50 invitations were kept at the post office and a note was left in the couple’s P.O. Box to let them know they needed more postage.

After two weeks, when the couple still hadn’t come to check the box or pay the additional fee, postal worker Edward "Lee" Mayton decided to take matters into his own hands.

"I saw the notice that had been dated for almost two weeks, so I’m like, ‘these have to go out,’ because they looked like wedding invitations," Mayton told KTUU.

Even though he wasn’t sure when the wedding was scheduled for, Mayton decided to buy the postage himself to get the invitations out to guests, according to KTUU.

"That’s just what we do, not just because we’re supposed to do it, I mean, this is the valley, this is Wasilla. We take care of each other out here," Mayton told the station.

As for Lewis and her fiance, they didn’t realize anything was wrong until later. When she found out, Lewis said she was surprised.

"I couldn’t help but choke up," Lewis told KTUU. "It was so unexpected. I wasn’t expecting that at all, it was really nice."

Though Lewis and her fiance tried to pay Mayton back for the additional postage, he refused to accept any money, KTUU reported.

My latest reason to smile is the results of my quarterly CT scan yesterday.
It showed my one small tumor is still shrunk from original size, and no progression or spread was seen. It's a year this month since diagnosis.
That made my day Bob. Seeing you posting more and some great cooks again is wonderful.

As some of you know Barb and I have adopted or rescued seven wonderful dogs in our 39 years together.
All of them were special in there own way most were abused and came with baggage, but with Barbs help and a lot of love we were 100% successful turning all of them around to become trusted members of our family.
But the one that puts the biggest smile on our faces is when we watch Whitney our most challenging rescue and Abbey our black lab that was gifted to us as a pup.
Whitney was a rescue from the Navajo Indian reservation in New Mexico she was running wild with a litter of pups somewhere out in the wilderness. They captured her but she wouldn't take them to the pups.
We took her in as a foster and she got along fine with our 12 year old golden retriever. But she was very quiet and would look out the door as if looking for her pups. We decide to keep her and give her a chance with us.
I won't go into how we got Abby as a pup but the day our friends brought her over and we put her down with Whitney and Whitney just starred at the pup and then the tail started wagging and we all realized that Whitney thought that was one of her pups.
She never looked back an instantly mothered the pup and over the next year she raised that pup to be a wonderful addition to our family.
She did more training than we did.
Today they are inseparable and have never had a fight or so much as a grow toward each other.
Best of buddies and smile makers for Barb and I.100_1949.JPG
100_5339.JPG

Back