The Humor Thread

@PHolder: "You are being told to lower your AC usage on hot days to prevent overwhelming the existing electric grid while simultaneously being told to trade in your gas cars for electric vehicles." (clown face)
Our electric bill charges different rates based on time of day. In addition to time-of-day usage rates, they also differ between summer and the other seasons, and also weekdays vs. weekends. These rates apply today - a weekday in the summer:

Highest rate: Between 4 - 9 PM.
Medium rate: Between 9 PM and 8 AM.
-> Lowest rate: Between 8 AM and 4 PM. Really. Yup - that means doing the laundry, running the dishwasher, heating the electric oven in the kitchen, using power tools, are all at convenient times, if you work from home or are retired.

(Some people have a 5-8 PM plan instead. For them - Highest: 5-8 PM, Medium: 8 PM - 8 AM, Lowest: 8 AM - 5 PM.)

My guess is that the electric company is anticipating future "increased heavy use" during evenings and through the night as people charge their cars, and the rates are being set accordingly. Just a hunch.

Our electric bill charges different rates based on time of day. In addition to time-of-day usage rates, they also differ between summer and the other seasons, and also weekdays vs. weekends. These rates apply today - a weekday in the summer:

Highest rate: Between 4 - 9 PM.
Medium rate: Between 9 PM and 8 AM.
-> Lowest rate: Between 8 AM and 4 PM. Really. Yup - that means doing the laundry, running the dishwasher, heating the electric oven in the kitchen, using power tools, are all at convenient times, if you work from home or are retired.

(Some people have a 5-8 PM plan instead. For them - Highest: 5-8 PM, Medium: 8 PM - 8 AM, Lowest: 8 AM - 5 PM.)

My guess is that the electric company is anticipating future "increased heavy use" during evenings and through the night as people charge their cars, and the rates are being set accordingly. Just a hunch.
We don't have variable rates here. They will take a little off your bill during the summer months if you allow them to attach a device to your AC units that lets them cut off your AC during a peak like when its really hot.

They will take a little off your bill during the summer months if you allow them to attach a device to your AC units that lets them cut off your AC during a peak like when its really hot.
Got one of those here. For the length of time it gets cut, there's very little material difference inside the house.

Oddly enough, I noted on Wednesday that the top mounting look on the saver switch had broken off. It almost took longer on the phone w/ XCel to get the order placed than it did to have them dispatch someone. It was replaced first thing on Thursday morning. Unfortunately.... as the electrician had to dig into the electrical connections inside the condenser housing, it's highlighted that I have some long overdue maintenance to do this weekend.

I had consumers put that in and their “programmable” thermostat. Thermostat went belly up the first winter called Malaysian support and she walked me through rebooting it, didn’t work. Then, she just told me how to shut the dang thing off so, it’s manual now. NO I do NOT want one that is connected to the friggin‘ webbernet!

I had consumers put that in and their “programmable” thermostat. Thermostat went belly up the first winter called Malaysian support and she walked me through rebooting it, didn’t work. Then, she just told me how to shut the dang thing off so, it’s manual now. NO I do NOT want one that is connected to the friggin‘ webbernet!
Mine is connected to the internet but NOT for the purposes of Communist Edison controlling my HVAC. Mine actually takes note of current temp/humidity conditions, along with actual forecast, and then adjusts output, temp and humidity profiles for most efficient operation. It works absolutely great and our bills are MUCH lower. It's actually pretty amazing.

Back