The best barbecue joint in every state, according to Yelp

Is Yelp worth anyone's time ?

They missed Oklahoma's best by a long shot.

And the top Texas joint is Kats ............ which I can't find on Texas Monthly's Top 50 list nor TM's Top 25 new joints.

Had a fella get real mad at me last month, because I questioned that Yelp reviews might be fake or disingenous. That maybe those restaurants with best Yelp reviews, are those that the owner has a lot of friends . Or maybe a place's competitor might be the one with the negative review. Ya know, just basic common sense stuff.

Lynn, I had a conversation around that with a restaurant manager in Galway Bay, IE a few years ago. Unfortunately, they really do have to pay attention to the online reviews, I tend to ask the locals where to go. And we had some damn fine food that night. And music in the pub a couple of blocks away.

"Based on customer reviews" tells me absolutely nothing about the process. About all I learned from the list is that there are 50 barbecue places at least worth checking out. And the winner for Wisconsin doesn't even strike me as a true barbecue joint...it seems more like a Hawaiian-themed restaurant that happens to have a couple of barbecue items on the menu. Not that there's anything wrong with that and it obviously gets good reviews, but how can it qualify as the best when it doesn't have meats other than pork?

I'm sure Bob is as shocked and surprised as I am that Bandana's didn't win for Missouri!😆

We have a "Mexican/Asian" eatery here in Fat Wayne that offers a 20% coupon on your next bill if you leave a 5 star review online. The food sucks and they have great reviews. Go figure.....

Lynn, I had a conversation around that with a restaurant manager in Galway Bay, IE a few years ago. Unfortunately, they really do have to pay attention to the online reviews, I tend to ask the locals where to go. And we had some damn fine food that night. And music in the pub a couple of blocks away.

If I were in that business, I would pay attention also. And try to smooth over any negative reviews. Even if they are suspicious.

I don't pay any attention to online reviews. It's basically people that have a problem with something that leave a comment and those that have a good experience seldom leave any comments.

I don't pay any attention to online reviews. It's basically people that have a problem with something that leave a comment and those that have a good experience seldom leave any comments.

There's a lot of truth in that. The hospitality industry says that happy customers tell one other person, unhappy customers tell ten.

I'm going to have to agree with that somewhat.

Makes sense.

When I'm looking at reviews I usually look at the middle of the road ones. I find people say what they like and don't like in the middle of the road reviews. the lowest one star are always I bought this and it didn't work so it sucks. The five stars are I bought this and it's great.

If I see a negative review that's poorly written and/or from someone with a very low review count, I tend to take it very lightly and consider that it could've come from someone with an axe to grind.

Back