Teres Major Steak

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Recently visited Freedom Meat Locker in Freedom, CA for the first time in six years...far too long. Mrs. TVWB and I shared a tri-tip sammie from their sandwich counter and I brought some of their in-house made bacon and a teres major steak, something not commonly found, a cut from the shoulder that is lean and tender almost like a tenderloin. Salted before cooking, 8 minutes per side over medium, turned a couple of times, rested for 5 minutes before slicing. So good!

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

68475942_10162207878160013_5767042198260416512_n.jpg

68888196_10162207878200013_5731451406301265920_n.jpg

Looks terrific, Chris!
I used to get these (aka petite tender) steaks at a local grocery store, now I need to see if they still sell them.
Tenderness of filet, but beef taste closer to sirloin, best I recall.

I didn't know this cut existed, it looks extremely tender in the cut picture, looks like there was terrific marbling.
If it was attached to a cut with many muscles which piece of meat would you find this on? Somewhere in the chuck?

Looks terrific, Chris!
I used to get these (aka petite tender) steaks at a local grocery store, now I need to see if they still sell them.
Tenderness of filet, but beef taste closer to sirloin, best I recall.
I've seen those "Petite Tender" steaks around but never paid them much attention, that's going to change. That looks perfectly cooked!

Chris, is teres major a regular item at Freedom Locker or did they cut it at your request? I have a hunch that most of us would have to place a special order with a good butcher.

I picked up a two pack of Petit Tenders today for $8 a lb at Publix. The package was in the regular meat display for $16. I think I’ll make a mushroom stuffing roulade and grill one. Maybe cut the other into medallions and do a roasted garlic aioli.

Last edited:
Chris, is teres major a regular item at Freedom Locker or did they cut it at your request? I have a hunch that most of us would have to place a special order with a good butcher.
They had several in Cryovac in the display case, some single pieces, some double pieces. I bought it because it's an unusual find.

Great write uo Chris, and I am another that has never that I know seen or heard of this cut. Looks like a great sandwich starter and a good burp to finish....

Back