Tell me about espresso

l've got another question, do you still use your drip coffee maker in conjunction with a Nespresso or espresso machine ?

We tend to drink coffee throughout the day. So our 10 cup Bunn Classic Speed Brew is almost always working.
Currently the Bunn gets the most use, the Nespresso next with the espresso machine the least use.
Convenience wins out.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind if you need to make the occasional espresso based milk drink as well....

Since the topic was somewhat still alive, purchased a new manual/hand grinder today. My main (motorized) grinder is usually filled with a "generic" cheaper espresso bean as my wife grinds/pulls shots with little care or technique - just wants a big-*** latte or two.

I, on the other hand, like to pull the *perfect* shot of espresso, and I purchase different beans regularly so this little guy will allow me to measure out my 18-20g of beans, and grind enough for a double shot when needed without having to readjust and change the beans in our main grinder....

There are a few hand grinders now on the market that produce a high quality grind without spending thousands on a grinder. It's also quickly adjustable to grind course enough for a pour-over cup or fine enough to do Turkish coffee too.

1637260703842.png

Several years ago I bought a Rancilio Silvia and I have a Rocky and Baratza 270Wi grinders. I know there are better-made espresso machines but I reached a point where I admitted to myself that those methods of enjoying a drink are not suited to my personal interests beyond the experimentation and practice of learning to pull good shots. The best item a guy or gal can invest in is one they use and enjoy. And for me, a tad more than one year ago, that item became this Philips machine. I am not a straight espresso drinker but I enjoy espresso-based drinks, I love iced coffee, and I prefer an Americano over brewed coffee. Another benefit of this machine is that my Son loves straight espresso, so we both get exactly what we want.

You can laugh at me and it won't hurt my feelings, lol:
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...-lattego/?pkey=s~Philips 5400~1&sbkey=default

1637266148917.png

Someday, I need to learn to let go of things I've bought and will never use again.

Just use a Keurig unless there are visitors. It's just easier for me......
Sad to say in this thread, but that's where I've landed as well. It's not great coffee, but it's drinkable coffee with less fuss than making instant. Since I'm down to one cup a day it's a very reasonable compromise. And the Costco Pacific Bold K-cups have some flavor to them at a decent price.

I've had my Nespresso Citiz espresso machine for one year now. This is one of the best purchases I've made in the past year. I use it every day. I start my day with a double shot of espresso. I have a shot or two in the afternoon when my energy is waning. I make a mean caramel macchiato that is every bit as good as Starbucks.

I've tried five different brands of pods. Those were Nespresso, Peets, Dunkin Donuts, Lavazza , and I think its spelled Gourmessio , or something like that . Without a doubt, I enjoy Peets the most and its not even close. The Dunkin Donuts is next. Nespresso is good, but I don't like having to pay for their proprietary pods. I tried the other two because they were cheap. And they tasted cheap.

I've had my Nespresso Citiz espresso machine for one year now. This is one of the best purchases I've made in the past year. I use it every day. I start my day with a double shot of espresso. I have a shot or two in the afternoon when my energy is waning. I make a mean caramel macchiato that is every bit as good as Starbucks.

I've tried five different brands of pods. Those were Nespresso, Peets, Dunkin Donuts, Lavazza , and I think its spelled Gourmessio , or something like that . Without a doubt, I enjoy Peets the most and its not even close. The Dunkin Donuts is next. Nespresso is good, but I don't like having to pay for their proprietary pods. I tried the other two because they were cheap. And they tasted cheap.
Peet's is a solid win and Costco runs a sale every few months if you're a member there.

I also like Illy and Lavazza pods on Amazon. Both deliver solid flavor and cremas.

We're like 5 years into our Lattissima Plus and we gave up SBUX that long ago for drinks. I think my daily latte, or mocha or iced mocha runs me $1.50-$1.75. And we buy Ghiradhelli chocolate syrup around 5-6x a year on subscribe and save; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JWMMUK/?tag=tvwb-20

I'd be hard pressed to find a better way to get a daily espresso now.

My Moms just got another one.
She gets a new used one every 3-4 years.
Her friends daughter gets a new fancy one every few years.
She gives it to her moms and her moms gives her old one to my moms.
This has been going on for years.

I just had a cup of espresso from my moms and it was smooth.
I think this current unit is quite spendy.
It’s a really nice coffee station thing from Italy and I now want one.
Moms just runs Peets beans in it and it is very tasty.

We gave up coffee 10 years ago now and only drink espresso based drinks.

My go to is a 3-4 shot latte made with 2% hot milk. No foam, ever, as it gets in the way My next go to is a mocha, either hot or cold.

If it’s cold, I’ll add an extra shot to overcome the ice watering down the espresso flavor. We use only Ghirardelli chocolate syrup and I prefer unsweetened almond milk on the cold mochas.

This all started when we experienced a Nespresso demo in Williams Sonoma housewares store. The crema that the Nespresso machine produced and how it extracted a shot made for a very satisfying and convenient shot. This was the easiest, fastest and most convenient way for us to make high quality and consistent espresso. We were hooked.

Fast forward now ten years and we have a very full selection of pods to use in the Nespresso machine. My fave these days is Illy. OMG their espresso is near perfection every time.

The Nespresso machine saves us from going to coffee chains and overspending on what is basically a milk drink. And we have a few insulated cups for taking our drinks in the car and to work. I can sip my morning latte for a good 30 minutes at work at it remains super hot.

Check out one of these machines if you can. It was our turning point.
which Nespresso do you have? looking for a friend.

which Nespresso do you have? looking for a friend.
The previous gen of this one but it’s only a cosmetic difference between both gens: Limited-time deal: Nespresso Lattissima Touch Espresso Machine with Milk Frother by De'Longhi, Washed Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079WD2QZN/?tag=tvwb-20

If you’re not going to use the milk steamer, I’d recco this version and save the money (but I’ll be dammed because the one with the separate frother is on sale for less than the one without the frother) Nespresso CitiZ Original Espresso Machine by De'Longhi, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFC73AZ/?tag=tvwb-20

The lattissima is my at home model and the CitiZ is at my office.

And CL has some for sale too so save even more there for a quality used one.

These are all part of the Original Line pods. Not the more American size and style Vertuo line. If you want to sample shots or drinks, text me. I’m home all weekend, working.

Last edited:
The previous gen of this one but it’s only a cosmetic difference between both gens: Limited-time deal: Nespresso Lattissima Touch Espresso Machine with Milk Frother by De'Longhi, Washed Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079WD2QZN/?tag=tvwb-20

If you’re not going to use the milk steamer, I’d recco this version and save the money (but I’ll be dammed because the one with the separate frother is on sale for less than the one without the frother) Nespresso CitiZ Original Espresso Machine by De'Longhi, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFC73AZ/?tag=tvwb-20

The lattissima is my at home model and the CitiZ is at my office.

And CL has some for sale too so save even more there for a quality used one.

These are all part of the Original Line pods. Not the more American size and style Vertuo line. If you want to sample shots or drinks, text me. I’m home all weekend, working.
Just spent an hour reading about CitiZ vs Pixie and Delonghi vs Breville and s well as a few hand grinders. Thankfully I was enjoying a very, very young Pinot Noir from Costco that is finally opening up after 5 hours.

Breville Pixie is a fair amount less than the others. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SRDQBY2/?tag=tvwb-20

Leaning towards that one.

Frothing is already covered, but thanks for the recco.

Hey Lynn thanks for starting this thread - I didn't see it last year but just read most of it. Looks like you've found your happy place in the world of coffee/expresso drinks. I just bought a new Kuerig but could probably re-home it and try the Nespresso.. I've known/accepted that Kuerigs are not the best option for home coffee for a long time but just haven't been motivated enough to upgrade.

I figure if I can manage my travel schedule where I'm working from home about have the time next year it would be worth having a better home brewing system. On the down side, making coffee better at home will make "road coffee" seem a lot worse than it already is. I don't think about the afterlife very often, but if you wind up in the wrong spot, I'm pretty sure the only coffee you get there comes from one of these..

1668867707049.png

Aeropress and a home grinder and you'll never look back..
I do the inverted/bloom brew method. 3:30 and then flip and plunge.
BEAUTIFUL cups of perfect coffee...

Favorite coffee?
But at $60/lb it's a splurge.

Like as with my cars and grills I run a 20 year old Pasquini Livia 90 which replaced a 1999 La Pavoni which we bought new.
Again similar to my grills, I made the Pasquini from two non-working ones.
We roast our beans with a Hottop roaster and grind them with a Baratza Sette 270WI.
Two small lattes for both my wife and me every morning.

Attachments

• 7A71F80E-C125-4622-8417-292782E61CBD.jpeg
    7A71F80E-C125-4622-8417-292782E61CBD.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 3

Back