Tell me about espresso

Like as with my cars and grills I run a 20 year old Pasquini Livia 90 which replaced a 1999 La Pavoni which we bought new.
Again similar to my grills, I made the Pasquini from two non-working ones.
We roast our beans with a Hottop roaster and grind them with a Baratza Sette 270WI.
Two small lattes for both my wife and me every morning.
The cathartic and satisfying "slam" of the used grounds disk into the trash....

I think espresso making is a lot like grilling and smoking. Gas, charcoal, kettles, smokers, kamados, pellets, offsets, gravity feed. Some put coals in a clay pot with a grate, some have multi-thousand dollar setups.

I love the broad ranges of ways to make espresso and enjoy seeing all the variations.

The previous gen of this one but it’s only a cosmetic difference between both gens: Limited-time deal: Nespresso Lattissima Touch Espresso Machine with Milk Frother by De'Longhi, Washed Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079WD2QZN/?tag=tvwb-20

If you’re not going to use the milk steamer, I’d recco this version and save the money (but I’ll be dammed because the one with the separate frother is on sale for less than the one without the frother) Nespresso CitiZ Original Espresso Machine by De'Longhi, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFC73AZ/?tag=tvwb-20

The lattissima is my at home model and the CitiZ is at my office.

And CL has some for sale too so save even more there for a quality used one.

These are all part of the Original Line pods. Not the more American size and style Vertuo line. If you want to sample shots or drinks, text me. I’m home all weekend, working.
I forgot to circle back with the outcome. I picked up a breville pixie as a surprise gift for a friend, and it works very well. I watched a handful of expresso's made and enjoyed a couple myself.

61NUqSDpwiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I also picked up an automatic frother and it works well too. It can do milk for hot coco, but it made an excellent froth for cappuccino.

ec21ad43-abaa-4906-a045-83b095b29830.5285420940f698ddb7fcd6ea0af8050b.jpeg

Thanks for the discussion and the suggestions.

I forgot to circle back with the outcome. I picked up a breville pixie as a surprise gift for a friend, and it works very well. I watched a handful of expresso's made and enjoyed a couple myself.

61NUqSDpwiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I also picked up an automatic frother and it works well too. It can do milk for hot coco, but it made an excellent froth for cappuccino.

ec21ad43-abaa-4906-a045-83b095b29830.5285420940f698ddb7fcd6ea0af8050b.jpeg

Thanks for the discussion and the suggestions.
right on! do you want to discuss pods next? i've consumed many of the brands out there. there's some really good ones.

today's breakfast was 3 long shots with two pumps of Ghirardelli chocolate. quote yummy. i was too lazy to heat the milk.

right on! do you want to discuss pods next? i've consumed many of the brands out there. there's some really good ones.

Sure ! I included a 50 pack of Starbucks blond of these, and they were well received. I knew this since it is their flavor of choice at a coffee shop.

My preference is a darker roast.

Edit removed the pic of the incorrect format

Last edited:
Sure ! I included a 50 pack of these, and they were well received. I knew this since it is their flavor of choice at a coffee shop.

My preference is a darker roast.
GUEST_d346745a-05f3-4515-affb-45b81b58f6af
Your machine is Original Line, not Verturo, correct? The pod sizing.

Below is my current daily Miele coffee machine. With decent beans (I prefer Lavazza) I don't add any sugar/syrups.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 5
Below is a collection of my coffee equipment, not pictured is a bialetti mukka express, limited edition from williams-sonoma.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 13
That is a whole lotta equipment there. All I have is my old espresso pot that was brought over from Italy, given to my mom and then to me from my uncle when he emigrated in 1958. (Yeah it's THAT old). Needs new gasket now.
And my Mocca Master Technivorm.
Miele makes some really nice stuff that looks like a nice machine right there too

My vacuum coffee maker is one of my favorites but the Miele has me spoiled with the one button approach. The Jura was my super automatic before the Miele but it needs to be sent in for refurbishing.
The Mocca Master Technivorm is great for drip coffee, not many machines can produce hot enough water including the newer Jura's.

Yes you can. Expecially real Italian people or should I say Eyetalian people :D
I remember an old Andy Griffith episode where he was scheduled to eat dinner at several people's houses in the same night. Each house they served spaghetti. Each house he commented how delicious it was. At each house they said "It has a secret ingredient. Oregano." Overlay that with it being in the south in the 60's.

Aren't Nespresso machines essentially just Keurigs for espresso and just cutting corners vs real espresso machines including super automatics?
Not that they don't produce a decent espresso but aren't capable of enhancing or fine tuning the process. Plus aren't you limited to the espresso pods that are available vs full range of whole bean espresso varieties out there?

Aren't Nespresso machines essentially just Keurigs for espresso and just cutting corners vs real espresso machines including super automatics?
Not that they don't produce a decent espresso but aren't capable of enhancing or fine tuning the process. Plus aren't you limited to the espresso pods that are available vs full range of whole bean espresso varieties out there?
No. And the diversity of pods is substantial. Try one before you slam them.

There are two types. The original takes pods from a number of makers. The newer type may not have the same diversity.

Back