Sunday night Labor Day weekend NY strip steaks

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Months ago, I picked up a Swift USDA Prime Boneless Beef Steaks, Assorted Cuts, 8-count at Costco Business Center. Dug these two NY Strip steaks out of the freezer, thawed, patted dry, salted for an hour in the fridge, patted dry again, and grilled in the Summit gas grill for a total of 8 minutes, turning at 2 minute intervals. Started over high heat for the first 2 minutes, then medium for the remainder of the time. Had some flare-ups and got a little scorching on one fatty end. Given the uneven thickness of the pieces, one was a little over, one a little under, but I sliced them and took a few of this, a few of that, and it was all good.

These are pretty good steaks, convenient, but not a particularly good price per pound.

Hope you enjoy your grilling or barbecuing this weekend!

Chris

IMG_2963.JPG

This is the steak that was a little over, like 132*F. A little melted butter over these slices added some moisture and flavor.

IMG_2964_Moment.jpg

Good lookin' steaks, Chris!
Strip steaks are my Achilles heel, not sure I've ever been happy with mine.
Last ones I grilled were Choice CAB and looked well marbled, but the marbling turned out to be mostly connective tissue. :mad:

Strips are my go to steak. I do just like you said-2 minutes each side on the sear station and move to a cooler section to finish. Got to watch you do not overcook as a strip can turn tough and dry. Yours look great.

Those look great Chris, first picture is perfect. Barb just picked up two packs of New York strips (8 steaks) at Safeway where she works for $5 a pound on $5 Friday.
They look really good, hope to try some this week.

Awesome cook Chris. I've had the same luck as Bob. I'll try Costco the next time I try those

Good lookin' steaks, Chris!
Strip steaks are my Achilles heel, not sure I've ever been happy with mine.
Last ones I grilled were Choice CAB and looked well marbled, but the marbling turned out to be mostly connective tissue. :mad:
Well Bob the curse of the strip steak hit us too. Cooked up one of the ones Barb got on $5.00 Friday at her store. Thing was tougher than a sheet of plywood. Don't know why but it's getting harder to get any decent beef anymore. Sure looked good though.
Got seven more of the strip steaks to go through, maybe a marinade will help.

Months ago, I picked up a Swift USDA Prime Boneless Beef Steaks, Assorted Cuts, 8-count at Costco Business Center. Dug these two NY Strip steaks out of the freezer, thawed, patted dry, salted for an hour in the fridge, patted dry again, and grilled in the Summit gas grill for a total of 8 minutes, turning at 2 minute intervals. Started over high heat for the first 2 minutes, then medium for the remainder of the time. Had some flare-ups and got a little scorching on one fatty end. Given the uneven thickness of the pieces, one was a little over, one a little under, but I sliced them and took a few of this, a few of that, and it was all good.

These are pretty good steaks, convenient, but not a particularly good price per pound.

Hope you enjoy your grilling or barbecuing this weekend!

Chris

View attachment 36499

This is the steak that was a little over, like 132*F. A little melted butter over these slices added some moisture and flavor.

View attachment 36500
Beautiful looking steaks Chris!

Back