Stubbs

:(I have read that Stubbs no longer will sell the 15lb bags. What sizes will they sell and whats a good price. From what I see the 9lb goes from 9-15$
Ordering on line the shipping will kill me:(

50¢ per lb is a good price for charcoal, but you'll never see Stubb's that low on a regular basis...

as much charcoal that I use, I'd have to eet hotdogs everyday to afford Stubbs.

Love Stubbs, but here, it's like lobster for lunch... a special treat.

Lowes here is advertising the 15 lb bags for 8.99
That's about the regular price at Lowes around here...I have about 8 bags on hand but maybe I should get some more!

If Stubb's becomes impractical (I don't understand why the 15-lb bag would be discontinued) I'm likely to switch to Royal Oak.

I've used Stubbs a few times & am not totally impressed.
It does leave a lot less ash - but that was never a concern to me.
It doesn't get that hot in terms of high heat & burns away quickly.
It does the white smoke (big time) when first lit.
meh.
Kinda pricey for what you get, imho.

Whow you said it right Robert -R .I use stubbs last night to do some chicken on my wsm 22 no water pan. It ran at 285 with all the vents wide open. Would not go any hotter and had to stir up the charcoal a couple times to keep at that temp. Probably would work good for low and slow and they smelled different than kb when lit

:wsm::kingsford::smokeyjoe::blackkettle:

Last edited:
I'll probably be in the minority here, but I have come to the conclusion that there is NOTHING wrong with Kingsford Original. I buy it when it's on sale and that's just about all I use. I have NO problems with it. My take is when Harry Soo and others can win National Events with Blue, who am I to complain? And-d-d, I have NOTHING to complain about!

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I'll probably be in the minority here, but I have come to the conclusion that there is NOTHING wrong with Kingsford Original. I buy it when it's on sale and that's just about all I use. I have NO problems with it. My take is when Harry Soo and others can win National Events with Blue, who am I to complain? And-d-d, I have NOTHING to complain about!

FWIW
Keep on smokin',

Bob,
We are two of a kind I use KBB original and stock up on sale in fact suppose to hit high 40s today so i will fire it up and use some of that sale stuff. I find if you let it burn for a while before putting on the food to cook i never get any of the bad smells i here folks talk about or maybe my nose is broke.
Kevin

FWIW
Keep on smokin',

I too am in ther KBB camp. It's what I started with and is always readily available and the do have good sales on it.

Gotta say I also have been a KBB user for many years. Thought I would try a few Stubbs cooks and see for myself if there would be a difference. Buttttttt with the price and reading your posts I think I'll stay with KBB :kingsford:

Thanks all

Well I tryed stubbs again twice this week this time I could only get to 250 to 265 and held there really good no water pan all the vents wide open. I did chicken it cooked up good .you just can't get stubbs really hot .better for low and slow I don't think it's to bad of charcoal 9$for 15 pounds .kb does burn hotter and longer

happy smoking and good eating:wsm::kingsford::maroonkettle::smokeyjoe:

FWIW
Keep on smokin',

Sort of was my sentiment as well. I've had consistent burns with the blue, so far on a newish pit, up over 12 hours on a 22.

Bob,
We are two of a kind I use KBB original and stock up on sale in fact suppose to hit high 40s today so i will fire it up and use some of that sale stuff. I find if you let it burn for a while before putting on the food to cook i never get any of the bad smells i here folks talk about or maybe my nose is broke.
Kevin

I guess I was asking because I came across some very cheap Kingsford competition (also in a blue bag iirc) but I passed due to the unknown. I haven't been able to find regular blue on sale yet, I usually pay 20 for 2 18.5lb bags....

FWIW
Keep on smokin',

I don't understand the hate either. I love KBB. I wonder if sometimes people have preconceived notions about certain things. I have never noticed an off taste using KBB.

Back