Stubbs

KBB will go on sale in the south in the near future, 2 15# bags for about $9.00. I plan on stocking up then. Otherwise I plan to stick with Royal Oak for my cooks. $6.50 for a 8.89# bag is not bad.

KBB will go on sale in the south in the near future, 2 15# bags for about $9.00. I plan on stocking up then. Otherwise I plan to stick with Royal Oak for my cooks. $6.50 for a 8.89# bag is not bad.

Wow! I'll be jumping on those deals. Where do you typically get them at? Home depot only has the 18's.

EDIT: NM - Didn't real - South
Walmart had that deal but sold out.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Yes. A little larger than the ol Kingsford Comp. Has a single wide groove. Really like it. Price isn't bad at all. Unlike the Walmart rebranded Royal Oak (Backyard Grill), this doesn't breakdown after being heated.

Have a single bag of Kingsford, unopened comp.

Royal Oak Chef's Select = 2.05" x 2.13" x 1.34"
Kingsford Competition = 1.875" x 1.875" x 1"

Hi Bob,

Yes. A little larger than the ol Kingsford Comp. Has a single wide groove. Really like it. Price isn't bad at all. Unlike the Walmart rebranded Royal Oak (Backyard Grill), this doesn't breakdown after being heated.

Have a single bag of Kingsford, unopened comp.

Royal Oak Chef's Select = 2.05" x 2.13" x 1.34"
Kingsford Competition = 1.875" x 1.875" x 1"

Bob would you recommend comp over blue bag?

And those using the blue bag, have you noticed any smells? Posted on another forum.... "The Blue Bag stuff, specifically that produced at the West Coast plant has a horrible smell when it is lighting. Which is why it's a bad idea to use it in a Minion style burn or in a UDS where unlit briquettes are lighting all the time. For grilling where the coals are fully ashed over before the meat is put on, it's probably less of an issue.

Johnny, all I can say is... I use only Royal Oak, be it in lump or briquette form. The Wood Shed carries Chef's Select !

Thanks for the reply Bob.

I'll play around with different charcoal once I get more mileage under my belt. :cheers:

Really interested to see how different charcoal performs for my uses.

I have never tried the GFS charcoal, I will have to get a bag and see if I like it.
I've been a KBB guy pretty much all my grilling life, no problems to date. Just saw several of the Kingsford "other" bags today and almost filled trousers at the prices! It's freaking charcoal, Hoooo Eeee! I might try a bag for a feast.

Granted, on this site I feel a bit like a rookie but, deep smoke product isn't my biggest priority, my brother is the smoker for the most part. I am a roaster, straight product direct/indirect process guy. If I'm not at the airport when my ship comes in, I will be jumping into the WSM pool but, when one has the ability to shut down the vents and save half a load of charcoal and use it for part of the next go round, KBB has served me well.
I am also a bluegrass musician and WSM means something completely different in my first thought!
I have to say, for a new guy here, I am learning quite a bit about how other people deal with some of the same issues that give me pause.

Back