Still having brisket problems--gotta try something new, I guess

PeterD

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all,

I've done three more packers recently and I just can't get them perfect, whether it's hot-and-fast or low-and-slow. I generally have the time and patience to do a low and slow, and with Comp K and a Stoker, I have the timing down well. Everything goes great until the stall. Once it breaks the stall and starts slowly climbing upwards, I'm monitoring my meat temps regularly from the stoker probe. When it hits about 180-185 I take the lid off and start checking for tender and that's when things go haywire.

I'll have perfect tender on the main part of the packer, where the point goes over the flat, and in the flat itself near the junction of the deckle. But the main part of the flat will rapidly overcook to become a crumbly, dry mess when I slice. This means about a third of the brisket is unusable, but the point and underrunning flat are generally quite tasty.

I have a 2008 18" WSM (not the newer 18.5) and an original Stoker that's about 4 years old now. One probe goes into the meat around the deckle, inserted from the side and the other is on a clip about an inch off the grate. Now here's another problem: I have checked both pit and meat probes in ice water and boiling water and they're good to within a couple of degrees of each other, and both read close to where they should be. I also have a Thermapen (about 8 years old and recently recalibrated), and it, too, reads about the same as the Stoker probes. BUT. When the Stoker is reading 180 in the meat, the Thermapen is up around 210 in the flat. Hence the crumbly mess.

Where should I be inserting the meat probe? Yeah, yeah, I know....."into a warm moist place" as my buddy would say. But seriously....Am I monitoring the wrong place? What else would account for this happening? I've put foil under the farthest end of the point to shield the thinnest end of the meat from the gap between the water pan and the barrel's edge, and if it's a bigger cut, I'll tuck the thin end under the grill handle. If it's a 14-15 pounder it'll be draped over three foiled bricks on the grate. Since I'm only usually cooking for a few people, I generally cook 10-12 pounders after trimming.

Whenever I go to the name-brand Q joints even the furthest outside end bits are juicy and tender; I've never achieved that in about 30 cooks. Any idea what I'm doing wrong or what I can change up to get the flat that succulent but keeping the point and flat at the back end perfect?

Thanks in advance.

Peter,
The issue might start as early as the selection process. If you were to look at some good videos about trimming, you'll find the briskets to have an almost uniform thickness. Where it's overly thick, many will trim to bring back to a uniform thickness. Basically, in a perfect world, you want it to cook equally.

Last edited:
I generally have put the probe in the point side every time but that's probably problematic for several reasons. You probably don't wanna get the probe into the fat for one. You don't wanna overcook the flat for another. Personally my Texas heart craves the fatty end of the brisket so if some of the flat is not perfect I'll live. However for comps or most people you want those perfect slices of flat and especially the part that's going to have crust and rub on both side. I got away with putting the probe in the point 8 times in a row, but I doubt it's right. You probably should be putting probe in the flat if you just want a good general starting point for checking for done. The point is going to be way more forgiving so if its a little under it's probably not a huge deal. You can always throw it back on for burnt ends.

Brisket selection may be a part of the problem. I always use choice briskets. I try to find one that's uniform. I know you may not always have that option (or you may be able to get better, who knows?). I haven't cooked on the 18 so I don't know what challenges you might have there.

I'm also pretty new to cooking briskets. I avoided them in the past because I didn't have a WSM, and most of the places I went had terrible brisket. Then you go to a joint like Pecan Lodge in Dallas and your eyes get opened to what it can be! I'm in the learning process myself.

Peter, where are you getting your packers? I've been having a tough time finding them consistently in north jersey.

Oops! That is what happens at 5 AM because you can't sleep!!! I meant to say flat and even posted that in my post! Sorry for any confusion!

I usually cut a fair portion of the thin flat end off, and make 2 cooks out of a packer. :)

Jeff,
I think you're the one who won my auction for a red Jumbo Joe some time back, right?

Im pretty green at cooking whole packers but i did one a few weeks ago and i placed the probe in the thickest part of the flat as well. I believe once it was about 190ish i started probing it for tenderness pulling it off at 197. Rested it for about an hour and a half. The slices out on the thin end were a little crumbly but were still good.....beginners luck maybe. Everyone ate it and didnt complain, but then again im usually the only one critisizing or complaining about my cooks. I did inject with jonny dip juice, maybe that helped the flat out.

Temp probe goes in at the side, right where the point meets the flat. Tip of the probe should try to reach the middle of the brisket. When I do temp probe, I start checking for doneness at 195*. I use a wooden skewer and probe from the top, where the point meets the flat. It's ready when the skewer goes in very easy. Pull and let it vent out in the open for about 15 minutes to stop/slow down the cooking process. Then rest for at least 2 hours, if it's too hot to handle with bare hands it's still too hot to slice.. give it some more for it to cool off. Works every time :)

Peter, where are you getting your packers? I've been having a tough time finding them consistently in north jersey.

Restaurant Depot over in Pine Brook. They usually have a good number of packers there, but they're almost always in the 14-16# range, which is too big unless I'm cooking for a crowd. I've rarely seen one with a thicker flat. But I'm also not talking about the end 2 or 3 inches that's dry and crumbly; rather, the end 6 to 8 inches. If it was just the very end I wouldn't worry about it, but at $4/lb I want to get as much usable meat as I can.

As for grade, they're Angus Choice, incidentally.

Temp probe goes in at the side, right where the point meets the flat. Tip of the probe should try to reach the middle of the brisket. When I do temp probe, I start checking for doneness at 195*. I use a wooden skewer and probe from the top, where the point meets the flat. It's ready when the skewer goes in very easy. Pull and let it vent out in the open for about 15 minutes to stop/slow down the cooking process. Then rest for at least 2 hours, if it's too hot to handle with bare hands it's still too hot to slice.. give it some more for it to cool off. Works every time :)

This has been my own cooking process exactly, including the skewer....but when the point+flat are jiggly-tender -- i.e. perfect -- the last few inches of the flat are dry as the desert and fall apart as soon as they're cut. I generally don't even open the lid until my meat probe reads 190-195°, by which it's as good as I can get it, which ain't that good. I've tried everything I can to get it to cook somewhat evenly but I'm missing something crucial.

Here's where I insert my probe and how the brisket sits in my cooker generally: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/463425/2013-04-08%2008.48.19.jpg
2013-04-08%2008.48.19.jpg

I have the same WSM as you do, two of them. They both do briskets very nicely but I do wrap mine in butcher paper about half way through the cook. I haven't been using a thermometer either recently in the briskets. I look for a nice color, and the "jiggle" that Aron Franklin talks about. It's usually after about 5-6 hours through the cook that I'm ready to wrap in butcher paper. I used to use foil, and that works fine too. Then its back on the WSM for about another 5-6 hours, until it "feels" right. It takes some practice (more than a few cooks), but soon you'll master the brisket. Here are some shots of a simple salt and pepper brisket it did on Miss Piggy, one of my WSMs. It was a 7 pound flat, cooked over Kingsford briquettes and hickory chunks.

No smoke ring, but a great bark and very juicy!

I have the same WSM as you do, two of them. They both do briskets very nicely but I do wrap mine in butcher paper about half way through the cook. I haven't been using a thermometer either recently in the briskets. I look for a nice color, and the "jiggle" that Aron Franklin talks about. It's usually after about 5-6 hours through the cook that I'm ready to wrap in butcher paper. I used to use foil, and that works fine too. Then its back on the WSM for about another 5-6 hours, until it "feels" right. It takes some practice (more than a few cooks), but soon you'll master the brisket. Here are some shots of a simple salt and pepper brisket it did on Miss Piggy, one of my WSMs. It was a 7 pound flat, cooked over Kingsford briquettes and hickory chunks.

No smoke ring, but a great bark and very juicy!

For the life of me, I don't understad why you don't get a smoke ring. I do a very simple smke, just like you, and I always get a ring. I'm thinking your charcoal is defective. lol

Last edited:
For the life of me, I don't understad why you don't get a smoke ring. I do a very simple smke, just like you, and I always get a ring. I'm thinking your charcoal is defective. lol

I thought the very same thing about the charcoal, and I thought it could be the bagged wood I use too, but none of that pans out, as I use the same stuff on my offset and get beautiful smoke rings all the time. I have tried different methods, like putting the meat on cold, using water, not using water, and heck, one time I even said a prayer! Lol! :D (Not really, but maybe I should've). Perhaps miss piggy is just worn out and I should retire the old girl. I do most of my cooking on the stick burner anyway, and use the WSMs when I need to knock out a bunch of butts and extra briskets for a big cook.

About that smoke ring, just out of curiousity, are you using some kind of oil or oil-based product to help the rub adhere to the meat? Rubs and spices are oil-soluble and I'd been using canola to help it stick to the meat and penetrate down into it. The downside is it seems to block the formation of a smoke ring, which I confirmed on a recent rib cook. I did two racks, prepped and cooked identically. I used a mustard slather on one and oil on the other, with everything else equal. The oil ribs had a faint pink ring. The mustard ribs (garden-variety French's yellow mustard) had a much deeper, redder ring. Only one cook so I can't confirm this, but just a thought.

I have the same WSM as you do, two of them. They both do briskets very nicely but I do wrap mine in butcher paper about half way through the cook. I haven't been using a thermometer either recently in the briskets. I look for a nice color, and the "jiggle" that Aron Franklin talks about. It's usually after about 5-6 hours through the cook that I'm ready to wrap in butcher paper. I used to use foil, and that works fine too. Then its back on the WSM for about another 5-6 hours, until it "feels" right.

I'm guessing with those times you're cooking at 225-250?

Yeah, I'm definitely missing the jiggle factor in mine.

Back