Little nervous about this weekends cook!

Jeff Langer

TVWBB Fan
My father in law (who I really consider my dad) has requested that I cook him a brisket for Fathers Day. I was hoping you guys would review my plan and offer any suggestions!

I plan on cooking a full packer fat side up with water in the pan. I have never liked HH cooks so plan on doing this one low and slow at 225-250 and am figuring 1 1/2 hours per pound. We are going to eat after my in laws get home from church on Sunday around 1 so plan on ending the cook so the brisket can rest at least an hour. I will wrap at 165 or so with some type of fluid (coke, or apple juice probably) and start checking for tenderness at 195. I think I am going to inject on Saturday using beef broth, worcestershire, onion powder,
garlic powder, and cayenne pepper and use brisket rub I bought from texasbbqrub.com right before I put the brisket on the smoker.

My igrill II was delivered today and the plan is to place the probe in the flat... Is that right?

I am so nervous and do not want to screw this cook up! Any knowledge you guys want to give would be greatly appreciated!

Tough conditions to cook a Brisket, you have a doable plan, just go in with one thought in mind: "I got this."
Good luck!

Personally I would jack your temps up some, I think going closer to 275 on a brisket creates a better bark. (just my $0.02) that would allow you a little more rest time which never hurts a brisket

Sounds like a good plan to me! I'm cooking one this weekend too! I typically probe in the point in the thickest part. That's probably not that important. There are good reasons to do it either way. I'm not a fan of the higher temps myself, but you might give yourself some more leeway for a longer rest time like Mike said. Every time I cook for other people I get a brisket that likes to stall out forever.

I'd cook fat down, frankly. There's no benefit to fat up and it's too easy to scrape rub off on the grate with fat up.

It should not take 1.5 hours/pound, especially if foiled though this depends on actual cooktemp.

Since internal temps do not cause "done" - they only might correlate - I'd suggest checking for done sooner. It is easier to feel for done and then catch it as it arrives; harder to sometimes tell if later without having a reference point.

I done brisket both fat up and down. The fat down has always been moister. I also like to finish them earlier and hold in a small cooler for an hour or two. Enjoy your weekend.

Jeff, the biggest bummer in cooking for friends and family is the stress that can be created if the food aint done when you want to serve. Brisket is one of those meats that can reduce or eliminate that kind of stress, because you can safely hold the brisket 2-3 hrs if needed, if done properly. So I would recommend figuring your total cook time and rest time and slice time and add 2 hrs. If you don't need the 2 hrs, no problem, if you do.... you will be glade you built it into your schedule.

As far as fat cap, I ALWAYs put it down. Helps protect the meat from the fire below.

Mark

Thanks everyone for the great words of wisdom. After reading this site for the last couple of hours I think I might try to make burnt ends. When the flat is probe tender (somewhere between 195-210) I will separate and wrap the flat, cube the point and throw them back on the smoker for 2 more hours after adding a little more rub to them.

I haven't been this worried since the night before I got married!:)

I've only cooked for a group of people like that a few times. Even if it's not your personal best, chances is are it probably will be theirs. Resist the urge to criticize your own food and just smile and take the compliments!

Only items I can add are...
Once your flat tests for tender, do not immediately wrap. Instead let it cool down first to below cooking temperature (about 170deg), then wrap.
Save the liberated Au Jus during the cook. De-fat and thin down. Serve the resultant Au Jus with the brisket slices.

Wishing you an Enjoyable and Delicious brisket cook.

Last edited:
Wife brought home a 17 pound brisket!!! Shod be interesting! If I want it done by 1 pm what time should I put it on?

Could not find any butcher paper so i am going to just let it cook without wrapping it.

Wish me luck!

17lb that's a big boy, I would put it on by 8 or 9 tonight, you can use parchment paper instead in a foil pan. Good luck and don't worry you will do fine

17LBS *yikes* Your wife is making you work for this one
Good luck, I'm pullin for ya

Jeff, weigh the brisket after you clean it up. If you trim the fat cap etc the final weight will be less. You can use that weight for your cook time estimate. Rootn' for ya in this corner too.

Mark

Since it is so big should I wrap it in aluminum when the flat hits 160 and starts checking for tenderness around 190? I'm assuming wrapping would help speed up the cook right? Man I'm nervous! Anyone want to come to hickory and cook it for me?

Wrapping speeds the cook. I just bought a 15 pounder and I'm putting it on soon. Debating in whether I wrap or not with one this size. I typically do. around 10 to 11 pounders. Good luck!

Bless my wife's heart... She does not understand how long it is going to take to smoke this brisket!! Needless to say our brisket lunch will now be brisket dinner seeing as I did not get it on until 11:00 PM! Here are a few pictures:

IMG_0457_zps0cc290ab.jpg
[/URL]

Ended up being about 15 pounds after I trimmed! Here it is on the WSM:

Using the iGrill 2 that my kids were gracious enough to buy me! (OK I bought it for myself and told them thank you!

Screenshot when I first put the brisket on the smoker:

I injected using this injector I picked up about a month ago:

How long does it take to get good at injecting? I was squirting injection everywhere (including my eyes!) no matter how careful I tried to be.

Hopefully this cook will work out! I am going to start checking for tenderness around 190, separate the flat, and make some burnt ends with the point if all works out! Thanks again for all the advice and cheers!

Slept like a baby for at least a few hours! Brisket has been on for about 7 hours and the temp in the flat is saying 175 already... Does that sound right? Looking at the graph from the IGrill2 it looks like it stalled at 165 for a couple of hours and has climbed 10 degrees I'm the last hour and a half or so. The WSM peaked at 250 around 5:00 AM but has hung around 230 with all 3 bottom vents closed since midnight.

Back