Starting a fire.

I have both Royal Oak lump and Kingsford briquettes.

Can you link to your torch model? Do you recommend that over matches?

It's a Bernzomatic push button instant light torch.
5728330726_c1a8ee20b4_b.jpg

Tim

Tim, that's a great idea! I will need to try it soon, there is no torch at the cottage but, I've got one at home! Maybe tomorrow...
But, then what do I do with the lousy newspaper?

The nozzle of the torch goes through the bottom vent and fires the bottom of the chimney. That points the flame up into the chimney, not a bad idea, I'm doing some steaks tonight, might try this trick

So the chimney is partway above, partway below the bottom kettle portion?

I don't think I have my chimney like that because of the heat sink below the bottom portion of the WSM.

Also, yesterday I used a flex lighter and the paper donut configuration. I started a much better quality fire.

I'll provide more details later after I upload pictures.

Chimney sits on the coal grate, nozzle points through to the underside of the chimney.
I'm not sure that's how I'd light my WSM but, it's a great way to fire a batch of coal for anything.

Last edited:
Sorry I lost track of this thread.
I lite my chimney on my OTG for my WSM, but you can lite a chimney on a WSM using a torch. Stick the nozzle through each vent for a few minutes, then hit the top center for another minute.
And yes the tank needs to be connected or you'll have no fuel.
I did a thread on this years ago, but all my pics are broken because of Photobucket.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?6177-Another-way-to-lite-a-chimney-on-a-OTG

Tim

Last edited:
Arun, I just saw a pic of your chimney from another thread you posted, if you notice on the Weber chimney there are air holes going up the sides. On your chimney there are only holes around the bottom. Fire NEEDS oxygen to keep going. You're chimney's design is very airflow restrictive and will have a hard time lighting a fire quickly. It will light a fire but it will take longer. I would suggest drilling some holes in the sides like the Weber chimney or just buy one.
I had that same chimney and the same frustrations you are having. I finally tossed it and bought the Weber one, totally worth the extra money.

Arun, I just saw a pic of your chimney from another thread you posted, if you notice on the Weber chimney there are air holes going up the sides. On your chimney there are only holes around the bottom. Fire NEEDS oxygen to keep going. You're chimney's design is very airflow restrictive and will have a hard time lighting a fire quickly. It will light a fire but it will take longer. I would suggest drilling some holes in the sides like the Weber chimney or just buy one.
I had that same chimney and the same frustrations you are having. I finally tossed it and bought the Weber one, totally worth the extra money.

Good eye, Ken. I never noticed it until you mentioned it.

I, too, had an inferior chimney starter until I purchased the large Weber model, and it made a noticeable difference. Two whole sheets of *individually crumpled* newspapers are usually all I ever need to light a stack of coals - unless the chimney is loaded down with smaller previously used coals that restrict air flow, and then I'll need another round of papers.

Thank you.

You mean these round holes on this Weber is what my chimney doesn't have, right?

I don't mind getting another chimney. I inherited my current one, no special attachment.

So the chimney is partway above, partway below the bottom kettle portion?

I don't think I have my chimney like that because of the heat sink below the bottom portion of the WSM.

Also, yesterday I used a flex lighter and the paper donut configuration. I started a much better quality fire.

I'll provide more details later after I upload pictures.

Last Sunday and just now, I used this method.

While I'm happy with this, I saw an electric charcoal lighter in the store.

What do you think? How useful and easy are those?

It it's a good idea, I wouldn't have to worry anymore about whether the lighter has enough butane, or refilling the lighter.

I could just plug those in and start burning the paper donut (or charcoal directly).

Last Sunday and just now, I used this method.

While I'm happy with this, I saw an electric charcoal lighter in the store.

What do you think? How useful and easy are those?

It it's a good idea, I wouldn't have to worry anymore about whether the lighter has enough butane, or refilling the lighter.

I could just plug those in and start burning the paper donut (or charcoal directly).

They work but require a power source which is a downer. Paper and oil and a match :wsm: IMHO is best.

I use one starter cube or wadded up paper and a chimney full of lump. It's ready in about half a beer. ...or maybe a whole beer if I'm thirsty. It's a fire. It'll be ready in a little while regardless of the chimney you use. If you want holes in the side of your chimney break out the drill and put some holes in it.

Have you used one before? Is it any faster?
Yes. I was not impressed. At the time I went back to using fluid. Yes, this was way long ago before I knew better.

IIRC, I found it did ok with the charcoal that it actually touched but took a loooong time before all the coals were useable (this was for use in a ranch-type bowl.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Yes. I was not impressed. At the time I went back to using fluid. Yes, this was way long ago before I knew better.

IIRC, I found it did ok with the charcoal that it actually touched but took a loooong time before all the coals were useable (this was for use in a ranch-type bowl.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks.

What do you think between these two? The second one has a trap door.

Also, should I having my chimney surrounded by unlit coals and wood? Or should I light the chimney, then remove it for a minute, and put the unlit coals and wood, then pour the lit coals onto the unlit ones?

Or does it not matter, whatever I prefer?

41E5VDkWlHL.jpg

789792095868_04493381.jpg

Arun.... GET THE WEBER

Don't even think about the other one. If you buy the other, make sure you also buy a good pair of gloves !!!

Otherwise... Buy The Weber

Last edited:
Arun.... GET THE WEBER

Don't even think about the other one. If you buy the other, make sure you also buy a good pair of gloves !!!

Otherwise... Buy The Weber

Agreed.

I saw that at Home Depot, and it looks like a dangerous gimmick to me.

Back