Starting a fire.

Do you have a side burner (hot plate) on your grill?

I used to use paper with some non stick spray under the coal in a charcoal starter, sometimes I had to do it twice to take hold. Now, I put however many briquettes in the starter and place it over the propane side burner of the grill. Light the burner and in about a minute the charcoal is lit, turn off the burner and let the charcoal get fully involved, dump coal in basket. Fastest, easiest method I've found.

No burner? try the starter cubes in place of the paper in the starter.

Can you post a recommendation to either a small torch or a wind resistant lighter? The matchstick lighter I have this one:

Vh9Ljf7.jpg

Those are good lighters, but this should be better...

http://www.calicobrands.com/torch-flame/

GM10-TorchFlame-Image-1-297x1024.jpg

The last lighter I had produced a blue flame (can't remember the brand), but I'm sure the one above will fit the bill.

As for your cinder block image, try placing the chimney over the opening and see if it works. Another suggestion would be to place some kind of flame-resistant shims (metal bars, etc.) under the cinder block so air can circulate into the block opening. George's idea is good, too, if you have a gas side burner.

Last edited:
Use 2-3 paper towels wadded up in a ball. Soak them with a cooking oil. Place the ball on the charcoal grate of what ever your cooking on (wsm or kettle). Light the ball and place chimney full of coal on top.

I don't do the ring because it takes time and it also blocks the air from getting under and drafting up through the chimney. I also don't set it on the ground because that is also not good for air flow. Setting in a grate promotes air flow. Air flow promotes combustion.

The longer you can get that ball of oily paper towel to burn the less time it takes for your charcoal to light. Use a few paper towels and don't be cheap with the oil.

Do you have a side burner (hot plate) on your grill?

I do not.

I used to use paper with some non stick spray under the coal in a charcoal starter, sometimes I had to do it twice to take hold. Now, I put however many briquettes in the starter and place it over the propane side burner of the grill. Light the burner and in about a minute the charcoal is lit, turn off the burner and let the charcoal get fully involved, dump coal in basket. Fastest, easiest method I've found.

No burner? try the starter cubes in place of the paper in the starter.

So I'd put the starter cubes at the bottom of the chimney, light them, then as they get going, put the briquettes on top?

About how many cubes?

Those are good lighters, but this should be better...

http://www.calicobrands.com/torch-flame/

GM10-TorchFlame-Image-1-297x1024.jpg

The last lighter I had produced a blue flame (can't remember the brand), but I'm sure the one above will fit the bill.

As for your cinder block image, try placing the chimney over the opening and see if it works. Another suggestion would be to place some kind of flame-resistant shims (metal bars, etc.) under the cinder block so air can circulate into the block opening. George's idea is good, too, if you have a gas side burner.

Thanks. That one looks better.

Use 2-3 paper towels wadded up in a ball. Soak them with a cooking oil. Place the ball on the charcoal grate of what ever your cooking on (wsm or kettle). Light the ball and place chimney full of coal on top.

I don't do the ring because it takes time and it also blocks the air from getting under and drafting up through the chimney. I also don't set it on the ground because that is also not good for air flow. Setting in a grate promotes air flow. Air flow promotes combustion.

The longer you can get that ball of oily paper towel to burn the less time it takes for your charcoal to light. Use a few paper towels and don't be cheap with the oil.

These are also good points.

I do not.

So I'd put the starter cubes at the bottom of the chimney, light them, then as they get going, put the briquettes on top?

About how many cubes?

Yep, that's what I do.
I just use a small piece of starter (Mine, you can just break).

Can someone post a video of a fire being started?

I've done it a few times, but don't think I'm doing it the best way possible. It takes me 40-50 minutes minimum.

From other threads, people say don't use lighter fluid. I haven't since the first time. I've been using charcoal and crumpled up newspaper in the chimney starter.

I want to see a video of everything. Including once the fire is starting in the chimney starter, I want to watch it until it grows big, so I know how long it takes. I don't want a video that shows it being started, then cuts to the coals being ready.

Thanks.

Maybe this can get you started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzWw8yEq8qw

Okay here's how I do it, took pics last night when grilling, and kept an eye on the time. Coals were on the grill in about 5mins. I do the exact same thing when smoking on the WSM.

Again, I use lump, so I don't have to wait for it to ash over completely.

Here's the lighter I'm currently using, the adjustable neck is handy.
p0tCiHk.jpg

Fuel - shipping materials, paper and some cardboard in this case, enough to fill the underside of the chimney. I didn't put any oil on them. I have a fire pit I set it one to light, good air flow and the ashes can just drop into the fire pit.
uh1xS0Y.jpg

I light it in several spots to speed things up.
aM66S5g.jpg

About a minute later there's flames from the paper coming up through the coals.
bcwq67U.jpg

About three or four minutes later the paper has all burned up, but I've got some coals lit. Not all, but enough that it's putting off some serious heat, so I'm happy and into the charcoal basket on the kettle they go. You can't really see it in this picture but all the coals on the very bottom were lit.
Zpi3VCS.jpg

I let the grill warm up for about ten minutes while preparing the food, and then it was time to cook.

Last edited:
Any edible oil will do.

Don't mix the paper with the briqs. The chimney has a little conical grill at the bottom. The briqs go on top of the grill. The lit donut of paper goes below the grill.

Light the paper donut, place it on a hibachi grill (even on dirt but NEVER on concrete/paving stone/asphalt--the stone/asphalt will either crack or melt) then place the chimney with 12-15 unlit briqs on top (of the conical grill) over the burning donut (below the conical grill) but make sure you don't snuff out the fire by either using too much paper (or even by placing the chimney down too fast on top of the burning donut). Should only take 10-15 min to get those chimney briqs lit.

This method is so efficient, when the fire is fully engulfed, your chimney will turn cherry red the heat is extremely intense.

Okay here's how I do it, took pics last night when grilling, and kept an eye on the time. Coals were on the grill in about 5mins. I do the exact same thing when smoking on the WSM.

Again, I use lump, so I don't have to wait for it to ash over completely.

Here's the lighter I'm currently using, the adjustable neck is handy.
p0tCiHk.jpg

Fuel - shipping materials, paper and some cardboard in this case, enough to fill the underside of the chimney. I didn't put any oil on them. I have a fire pit I set it one to light, good air flow and the ashes can just drop into the fire pit.
uh1xS0Y.jpg

I light it in several spots to speed things up.
aM66S5g.jpg

About a minute later there's flames from the paper coming up through the coals.
bcwq67U.jpg

About three or four minutes later the paper has all burned up, but I've got some coals lit. Not all, but enough that it's putting off some serious heat, so I'm happy and into the charcoal basket on the kettle they go. You can't really see it in this picture but all the coals on the very bottom were lit.
Zpi3VCS.jpg

I let the grill warm up for about ten minutes while preparing the food, and then it was time to cook.

Yep, that's what I do.
I just use a small piece of starter (Mine, you can just break).

Ok, here's a summary of what I think I should do for next time. I quoted a few posts.

* Use @Len Dennis's paper donut configuration.

* Use @JBooker and @Dustin_G's recommendation of putting the chimney on the charcoal grate. Not using a paving stone because it prevents air flow.

* Use @Dustin_G's adjustable neck lighter.

* Have @Anne M.'s starter cubes ready in case I need them.

I can't believe we are spending four pages on lighting!
Fly me out, I'll spend a day helping you get it sorted out.

I spent more than 4 hours, and needed to start multiple fires, after the first one died when cooking on Monday, just to light and cook a pizza.

Not all of the problems were on lighting, some on cooking, which I'll get into in a different thread.

But that showed me I needed to do a lot of things differently to get this whole process faster and more enjoyable.

And yes, if I'm still making mistakes after this, I wouldn't mind anyone on here helping me out in person.

Last edited:
It's a process to be sure, and anytime you're in Michigan, I'd be happy to share some experience, some grilled, smoked goodies,and beverages!

I spent more than 4 hours, and needed to start multiple fires, after the first one died when cooking on Monday, just to light and cook a pizza.

Without re-reading the entire thread, I'm beginning to wonder if the brand of coals is at fault here since your charcoal is going out prematurely.

I tried using a chimney starter for years with very mixed results, often just what you're talking about with it taking forever for the charcoal to light. I tried the oil on the paper. It helps but it gives off a nasty black smoke. For quite a while I used a hybrid method where I soaked two or three briquettes very thoroughly in charcoal lighter fluid (I had a little jar just for the purpose, keeping the left over fluid for the next time) and putting those at the bottom of the chimney. That worked reasonably well.

Then somewhere online I read about the method that works the best. The biggest problem with the "crumple up a couple sheets of newspaper and cram them in the bottom" approach is it works against the fundamental principle of the chimney. The crumpled paper blocks the flow of air upward into the chamber with the charcoal. You light the paper at the bottom and if it burns much at all, most of its heat goes to lighting the paper above it, and there's really no proper draw for the fire.

So here's how you solve that problem. Take two full sheets of newspaper. Roll each sheet separately into a tube. I first fold the sheet diagonally to make a rough triangle and then roll from the long edge toward the opposite point, like I was a 70s hipster folding a bandana to tie around my head. Turn the chimney upside down and put the first tube of newspaper around the inner circumference of the chimney. If you do like I suggested with the roll the ends should overlap by half a circumference or so. Just tuck them in as best you can. Do the same with the second sheet of newspaper, pushing it down just a bit onto the first so they'll stay in place. I usually line up the center of the second one with the overlap of the first. What you want is a donut of rolled newspaper in the underside of the chimney with a hole in the center. Turn the chimney back right side up and fill with charcoal. Put the chimney on a safe starting surface and light the newspaper. If you can light it closer to the center, great, if not, it will still work. The hole in the center of the newspaper donut should allow the fire to draw properly, pulling the heat from the burning newspaper up into the charcoal chamber, and you should get fairly substantial flames that will light the charcoal at the bottom of the chimney very quickly.

I've been using this method for a couple years now and it has never failed. It also smokes a lot less than the other methods. In 15-20 minutes the charcoal is usually ready to cook. If you're lighting just a few briquettes for a Minion Method in the smoker, you can put the newspaper in the larger chamber of the chimney and put the charcoal in the smaller end. The newspaper will probably fall away from the charcoal after just a short burn, but it still gets the coals lit.

Back