Starting a fire.

I think Arun is getting on the right train, I sent him a series of "how to light the chimney" pictures the other day.
I had a friend that used an electric starter, it was RUBBISH!
Arun, we are still talking about working with fire here, any possibility that pulling that trigger on the "dump truck" chimney could be disastrous! Go Weber, learn the basics, get more practice. Once you learn the basics, it's all easy.

Arun.... GET THE WEBER

Don't even think about the other one. If you buy the other, make sure you also buy a good pair of gloves !!!

Otherwise... Buy The Weber

Agreed.

I saw that at Home Depot, and it looks like a dangerous gimmick to me.

I think Arun is getting on the right train, I sent him a series of "how to light the chimney" pictures the other day.
I had a friend that used an electric starter, it was RUBBISH!
Arun, we are still talking about working with fire here, any possibility that pulling that trigger on the "dump truck" chimney could be disastrous! Go Weber, learn the basics, get more practice. Once you learn the basics, it's all easy.

Thanks all.

Thanks.

Also, should I be having my chimney surrounded by unlit coals and wood? Or should I light the chimney, then remove it for a minute, and put the unlit coals and wood, then pour the lit coals onto the unlit ones?

Or does it not matter, whatever I prefer?

One more question.

I've been doing the latter the last two times.

Also, should I having my chimney surrounded by unlit coals and wood? Or should I light the chimney, then remove it for a minute, and put the unlit coals and wood, then pour the lit coals onto the unlit ones?
I always light the chimney in my Weber Kettle, not in the WSM. When the coals are well lit I add them to the WSM. If you have some place safe to set the chimney once it's lit, I'd go with the latter approach since the charcoal surrounding the chimney while it's getting going might interfere with air flow. If you don't have a safe, fireproof spot, don't worry about it. Just do whatever works. It's not rocket science. I frequently put a bottomless tin can in the center of the fire grate and pour the unlit charcoal around it. I then put a few lit coals in the can and then pull the can out, leaving the lit coals in the center. This would be similar to what you'd be doing; you'd just be using a much larger "can".

The new Weber chimney came in.

It's a lot bigger than my old chimney.

When doing a whole chicken, should I be using this one's increased capacity to burn more hot coals?

Or should I use about the capacity of coals that I did in the smaller chimney?

Or should I use about the capacity of coals that I did in the smaller chimney?
You're probably not going to like this answer, but I'm going with, "It depends." Think about what you're trying to accomplish with the fire you're building. Do you want low and slow with a long burn time? Do you want a lot of heat quickly, like when you're using the WSM as a charcoal-fired oven running at normal oven temps (325F+)?

If I were going to cook a whole chicken or a turkey, I'd be looking for 350-375F, so I'd likely start with a whole chimney of lit briqs. If I'm doing pork shoulder and shooting for 225F, I'm going to turn the chimney upside down and put maybe 10-12 briqs in the "bottom", dumping them all in the hole I've left in the center of the charcoal ring. Last time I did brisket I was shooting for 180F for the first five hours so I lit just five briqs and put them all at one side of the full charcoal ring. After five hours I jacked the temp to 275F for the rest of the cook. My approach worked well. Few lit briqs to start meant I could keep the temp very low. As it approached the five hour mark, enough briqs had caught that it was getting difficult to keep the temp down, but that was okay because I was about to want it hotter anyway. Last weekend I did Canadian bacon and again wanted a low heat, though this time for the whole cook. I made a two-briq snake around the perimeter of the charcoal ring and lit just three briqs using a propane torch. In retrospect, I should have gone for 225F instead of 180F. My plan was flawed, but my fire management fit the plan almost perfectly.

In addition to all that, you need to consider whether you're going to put water in the pan or not. If you're using water, then you want to start with more lit briqs. If you're running a dry pan then you don't need the extra heat to bring the water up to temp and can probably start with fewer lit briqs.

Finally, I would point out that it's almost always easier to move the temp up rather than down. If you start with too few lit briqs you just need to wait a little longer for the temp to come up to what you want. If you start with too many, you may overshoot your target and have to almost smother the fire to bring the temp back down.

You're probably not going to like this answer, but I'm going with, "It depends." Think about what you're trying to accomplish with the fire you're building. Do you want low and slow with a long burn time? Do you want a lot of heat quickly, like when you're using the WSM as a charcoal-fired oven running at normal oven temps (325F+)?

If I were going to cook a whole chicken or a turkey, I'd be looking for 350-375F, so I'd likely start with a whole chimney of lit briqs. If I'm doing pork shoulder and shooting for 225F, I'm going to turn the chimney upside down and put maybe 10-12 briqs in the "bottom", dumping them all in the hole I've left in the center of the charcoal ring. Last time I did brisket I was shooting for 180F for the first five hours so I lit just five briqs and put them all at one side of the full charcoal ring. After five hours I jacked the temp to 275F for the rest of the cook. My approach worked well. Few lit briqs to start meant I could keep the temp very low. As it approached the five hour mark, enough briqs had caught that it was getting difficult to keep the temp down, but that was okay because I was about to want it hotter anyway. Last weekend I did Canadian bacon and again wanted a low heat, though this time for the whole cook. I made a two-briq snake around the perimeter of the charcoal ring and lit just three briqs using a propane torch. In retrospect, I should have gone for 225F instead of 180F. My plan was flawed, but my fire management fit the plan almost perfectly.

In addition to all that, you need to consider whether you're going to put water in the pan or not. If you're using water, then you want to start with more lit briqs. If you're running a dry pan then you don't need the extra heat to bring the water up to temp and can probably start with fewer lit briqs.

Finally, I would point out that it's almost always easier to move the temp up rather than down. If you start with too few lit briqs you just need to wait a little longer for the temp to come up to what you want. If you start with too many, you may overshoot your target and have to almost smother the fire to bring the temp back down.

Thanks. So far with a whole chicken or turkey, I've done it low temps, and used water.

This makes sense.

Fewer briquettes for lower temps with water in the pan.

More briquettes if I'm not using water.

And if I want high temps, then I want as many briquettes as possible.

I should make clear I was talking primarily about how many briqs I was lighting in the chimney. The charcoal ring in the WSM is always filled with what I hope will be enough charcoal for the whole cook. Then it's mostly a matter of where I put the lit briqs in the ring.

Interesting observation on the original topic. When lighting the grill last time I was near the bottom of the bag of KBB and a lot of charcoal dust came out with the last of the briqs. Much of it fell down onto the paper donut I had in the bottom of the chimney. When I lit the paper I got a much longer burn, probably three times what I usually see from just a couple sheets of newspaper. It makes sense in retrospect given that I'd essentially added a lot more fuel for the initial burn. So if you're looking for an even faster start with the chimney, consider saving all that dust from the bottom of the charcoal bag and sprinkling a bit of it over the paper before adding charcoal to the chimney. You should get a longer, more energetic initial burn that should get the charcoal started even faster. And you'll be making constructive use of something you'd otherwise just throw away.

I can get a full Weber chimney of 100 briquettes ready to dump in about 20 minutes using one Weber wax starter cube. So can a lot of others. How much faster and easier do you want?

I can get a full Weber chimney of 100 briquettes ready to dump in about 20 minutes using one Weber wax starter cube. So can a lot of others. How much faster and easier do you want?

With my old chimney, it was taking 35-40 minutes, even with the paper donut.

I just got the Weber chimney, haven't used it yet. It's larger though. We'll see how long that takes.

I was walking around Superstore last night in my hometown and found these on clearance. I was debating on grabbing some so I grabbed two boxes to play around with. I will likely get my wife to get more for my uncle to use just for around the cottage to light up fires.

Don't think that I need them this large for my mini Weber Chimney Starter.
They were the 16 pack of Zip individually wrapped fire starters for 94 cents (Canadian).
nxFNg

http://imgur.com/a/nxFNg

I was walking around Superstore last night in my hometown and found these on clearance. I was debating on grabbing some so I grabbed two boxes to play around with. I will likely get my wife to get more for my uncle to use just for around the cottage to light up fires.

Don't think that I need them this large for my mini Weber Chimney Starter.
They were the 16 pack of Zip individually wrapped fire starters for 94 cents (Canadian).
nxFNg

http://imgur.com/a/nxFNg

Thanks. It's good when you can get a deal like that.

Back