Standing Rib - 2016 Edition

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I took this tradition over from my dad several years before he passed, and it continues today.

I started with this whole, bone-in sub-primal from CostCo:

31764395201_25eeb4b44f_z.jpg

I trimmed that down to a four bone roast, and three large roast/steaks. The roast was cooked at 225 for almost six hours (it was 13 or so pounds), then rested on the counter for about 20 minutes before being fired up in a 550 degree oven for 10 minutes to crisp. What came out was this (pictured on the walnut and ash board made by a master woodworker friend of mine):

31508221370_421574d143_z.jpg

Just the way I like it! :) :)

31733422492_6a25ddaf78_z.jpg

We had a magnum of 2013 Prisoner red on the table, and I think there were sides, though I can't really confirm that through my meat coma!

Back to looking after the body tomorrow! Hope you all had a great holiday with your friends and family!!

Rich

Another rib roast knocked out the park! Beauty.
I'm loving that cutting board too! Great job Rich.

That's as perfect as it gets, pink right to the crust. Perfect!!! Hope you had a Merry Christmas Rich

what internal temp do you target?

I pulled this off at about 131 degrees internal temp, then it sat, tented for about 30 minutes. I expected a bit of carryover temp rise, but didn't get much, it was at 134 when I put it in to sear, and pretty much the same temp after 10 minutes at 550.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Rich

Rich, thanks for the info..........I must say that looks like Meat Art.....I'm going to try to do one this weekend.

absolutely awesome looking cook.

thanks, chris

Back