special BBQ sauce ingredients

George P

TVWBB Member
Hey folks. I made some BBQ sauce for guests the other night with my pulled pork. I had a couple of people ask what I put in to give it the flavour that they can't quite put their finger on but they liked it. I didn't tell them but I put Southern Comfort in my BBQ sauce.
What special ingredient goes in yours?

I hate this question.

"what did you put in this to make it take so good?"

foresight, planning, effort, experience, and execution. Stop looking for the easy answers. :george:

Not my recipe, but the secret ingredient in my favorite sauce...or at least the ingredient that makes it my favorite...is celery seed.

I know of very few dishes where a splash of some kind of liquor won't improve things. :cool:

Black Seal dark rum (not light/white rum--tastes like gasoline)

I can see dark rum working magic in a sauce. One of my neighbors is crazy for Makers Mark in his sauce for chicken drum sticks. I'll try to get his recipe, all I've gotten is a few plates of food out of them so far.

I haven't tried the Black Seal dark rum, only Captain Morgan Black & maybe something from Sailor Jerry........ .........good stuff!

Last edited:
After making my own BBQ sauces for years I finally got smart and just make the #5 sauce, it's quick and easy and tastes as good as anything I've ever made or had.

I can see dark rum working magic in a sauce. One of my neighbors is crazy for Makers Mark in his sauce for chicken drum sticks. I'll try to get his recipe, all I've gotten is a few plates of food out of them so far.

I haven't tried the Black Seal dark rum, only Captain Morgan Black & maybe something from Sailor Jerry........ .........good stuff!

My favourite though is British Navy Pusser's Rum. Trouble is it's 50% more $ than the Black Seal. If you can find it, compare the two and then decide.

There are different versions of it. This is the only one I can get here
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Last edited:
I hate this question.

foresight, planning, effort, experience, and execution. Stop looking for the easy answers. :george:
Along the same line as Wow, what camera do you have?

Try subbing jelly for some of the sugar, if using any.
blackberry is great, but so is apple, grape, or ???

I hate this question.

and with THAT being said:rolleyes: what is wrong with just saying, "Oh, I tossed in a little this and a little that..."

After making my own BBQ sauces for years I finally got smart and just make the #5 sauce, it's quick and easy and tastes as good as anything I've ever made or had.

The #5 sauce is some good stuff. My house goes through about a bottle a week. I use 1/3 cup cider vinegar though.

Back