Spatchcock smoked chicken on WSM

That looks great. I tend to do mostly rotisserie chickens myself, but I would definitely try that.
Good morning and thank you.

I have a Traeger, a Weber Kettle with a rotisserie/pizza oven mod, and now my new 18" WSM. I cooked whole chickens on all three (now). All are pretty damn amazing. Since I just got the WSM a few days ago, I wanted to fire it up so I can get used to working the dampers and learning about the temp controls. It worked great. Only touched it one time in 60 minutes. Very simple.

Good morning and thank you.

I have a Traeger, a Weber Kettle with a rotisserie/pizza oven mod, and now my new 18" WSM. I cooked whole chickens on all three (now). All are pretty damn amazing. Since I just got the WSM a few days ago, I wanted to fire it up so I can get used to working the dampers and learning about the temp controls. It worked great. Only touched it one time in 60 minutes. Very simple.
Nicely done, Ben!

Spatch is my go-to these days. Yours looks outstanding...love that apricot sauce!

Here is the recipe for the sauce
  • 6 ounces of apricot preserves (MUST be preserves)
  • 1 cup of ketchup
  • 1/2 can of root beer soda (amount is based upon how thick/thin you want the sauce to be)
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup dry red wine
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook on medium heat until it begins to boil. Stir occasionally so as to not stick to the bottom of the pot. Once it starts to thicken, stir a few more times and then remove it from the stove to cool.

Note: I mainly use this on chicken, but have used it on pork chops and ribs.

Nice job Ben I only do spatchcock chickens also on my Performer. I did do a spatchcock 14lb Turkey on my UDS for Thanksgiving that came out fantastic also. Family won't eat it any other way going forward.

Nice job Ben I only do spatchcock chickens also on my Performer. I did do a spatchcock 14lb Turkey on my UDS for Thanksgiving that came out fantastic also. Family won't eat it any other way going forward.
My family feels the same about a spatchcock Turkey. I do them on the Smokefire at 375 and get enough smoke on them.

Yup Lew once you do it that way hard to ever go back. I ran the UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) at 350 smoke not an issue of course couple of chunks in the charcoal took 2:45 for a 14 pounder pulled it at 155 tented and cut the drumsticks off left them on for another 15 minutes as almost everyone knows takes longer to cook that dark meat even if you spatchcock it at least in this cook it did.

I had bought a set of decent shears my wife does the spatchcock on the chickens did the turkey also damn alot harder on that Turkey to get that backbone out, the chicken is easy.

Back