Spares...Gone wrong!

Wolgast

TVWBB Olympian
Ok let me explaine. This is not post material.

We were walking around in the supermarket...Looking for something to cook. And saw some decent spares. All natural.(around 2lb/slab) thought to myself those are pretty small. Found some vacced in marinade around 3lb/slab.(danish ones) Same price. Why not right?!

Cooked em on the kettle using the snake method with the coals. First time! AWESOME! Never temp my kettle cooks...But i did for this cook. Held a steady 275f for 4.5hours.(and they were done).

So what went wrong?

Well...The Ribs was so salty/cured so almost unedable. Lesson lerned,Fresh ones or non at all.

Here is the slab out of the vacc pack. Nothing added:

On the grill 2h mark:

4h:

Vent settings..Held a steady 275f:

Looked decent..But hey they were awfull!

So to sum it up! Snake method 2 thumbs up! Pre marinated spares...A BIG NO NO!

Awesome ribs and photos Daniel! I had that happen before with some pre-marinated tenderloin. Way too much salt!

Daniel - if it is any consolation, they appear to be cooked to absolute perfection...and of course your photography is world class!

Danny, had you not mentioned the taste of those awesome looking ribs, who'da known...???
The photos make them look FANTASTIC!!
In fact, i think you oughta go back and delete all your words and just leave the pictures:D they look that GOOD!!

i like the snake method too, gonna try that.

The ribs look great, it really stinks when you go through the effort and the product lets you down. Been there, done that.

Well, as Jim said, they are perfectly cooked. Look absolutely incredible.
I never ever cook the pre marinated stuff either, for this exact reason. Never seems to taste right.

You know that you soak bacon in water for a time to remove some of the salt, How do you think it would work with ribs like that?
The pictures and the finished product look great!!

Like the others have said, they look fantastic. Sorry to hear that they were way too salty.:(

That's the problem with photo's, they don't & can't say "taste"..........but, try that process again with good ribs and you've tried a new and different way to do them.....all is not a failure, just a trip down life's path..................................d

Looking at that bite in the rib I'd say they were cooked to perfection....sorry to hear the rest..I have been tempted to buy Pre-seasoned ribs but not now!!

I bet another rib cook is in store real soon!

I am warned. But I just learned a new technique! The snake method looks very interesting. Curious how long of a burn it would be. OR when wouldn't one use it.

Back