Sous Vide + WSM Smoker BBQ Method

Howard V

TVWBB Member
Goal: To enjoy tender and smokey BBQ meats that are cooked perfectly with minimum complications and costs involved.

Problem: I have a busy job and a young family (3 y.o. and baby) at home. Needless to say, I don't often get a big chunk of free time between chasing an active toddler around and changing the baby's diapers. The meats I like to smoke are ribs, pork butts and briskets which are 5hrs to 15hrs long. The WSM does a decent job of holding temperature but it needs occasional vent adjustments and monitoring (meat tempt and grate temp) during the cook. Recipes involve spraying meat and wrapping in foil. Brisket can be very unforgiving if not done right....it's a lot of money wasted when ruined. These days, all meat prices have also significantly increased so I like to cook well to enjoy the food and not waste any money. I have done a few overnight long cooking session but get a bit worried since the WSM is sitting on my wooden deck....a bad storm might knock it over and cause a fire.

Proposed Solutions:

1) Sous Vide + Smoker:
I saw on youtube someone had used the sous vide device to cook the pork ribs at the set temperature for 12 hours to tenderize the meat. Then they took it out and smoked it for 2 hours to get the smokey flavor. This approach was very appealing to me. It seem to incorporate the best of both worlds. The ability to perfectly cook the meat for tenderness and add a short smoking session for natural smoke flavors. I could see myself doing the sous vide overnight without any fire concerns. Then smoke it at 10am and have it for lunch by noon. This would have been difficult to pull off with my regular cooking session unless I start at 7am for a rack of ribs. The equipment costs seem reasonable at $80 for a sous vide device and maybe another $80 for food saver vacuum seal device. I figured my wife can also use the sous vide for some of her cooking recipes (salmon, chicken, veggies, etc.) so it can have multiple usage. The food vacuum can help us buy bulk meat and also store leftover BBQ better so that's a plus.

2) ATC Device: My backup plan is to get the DigiQ device which goes for about $180. This would make my WSM more of a set and forget cooking session. However, it doesn't eliminate my wood deck concern for overnight cooks. This would be a single use equipment since we can't use for anything else besides smoking meat.

Has anyone ever used the sous vide plus smoker method? Do you recommended as a solution to my situation? Advice/ideas?

There are a lot of good recipes/timelines out there for doing various meats with SV and a charcoal cooker. I've done a few 30+ hour beef rib cooks with SV, finishing over a low charcoal fire for 30-60 minutes. They turn out very well. Want to try other things like ribs, but haven't gotten around to it yet. There are plenty of ideas for brisket as well. Here's an interesting one. Not sure why it calls for curing salt, but I'm sure it could be left out.

The curing salt is used to make a smoke ring.

The Serious Eats method looks like it would be the way to go. It is probably delicious, but I would not call it barbecue. It's sous vide brisket finished on a grill.

Another approach is to suck it up, take some risks, and make some real barbecued brisket. This stuff is not easy to do, that's part of the fun and challenge. Just for perspective, I've been cooking briskets for 23 years and in all that time I've NEVER made a brisket that was a good as the two I've eaten at Franklin Barbecue in Austin, but I keep trying. And yes, they do take a lot of time and attention and yes they do cost a lot of money and yes it's frustrating when it doesn't come out just the way you imagined. I don't mean to come across too harsh, Howard, because I understand the pressures of life and work and kids and wooden decks, but you can't step up to the plate at Yankee Stadium and hit a home run on your first ever at-bat, and you're not going to make a really good brisket on your WSM, either, without a few attempts and some time and perhaps wasted money.

I would say you're the perfect candidate for a Weber SmokeFire pellet grill or some other pellet grill. Set it and forget it until the alarm goes off on the smartphone app.

As for sous vide, you can also do it the other way around. Find a day when you can dedicate the time to the project. Start early in the morning and cook two briskets hot and fast, you'll be done before dinner. Enjoy one today, let the other one cool, vacuum bag it, and freeze it. When you want brisket, place frozen bagged brisket in 160*F sous vide for five hours. Here's a shot of us doing sous vide frozen brisket at Camp Brisket 2020.

camp-brisket-sous-vide-brisket.jpg

What Chris said times two. I've only done four briskets three came out perfect one not so good ..Batting 75%, good enough. But many years ago maybe more than many my youngest is 42, so I've been down the baby and toddler route and yes I hear what you're saying.

I smoke for several hours first then transfer to the SV bath at 200, after 6 hrs I think it was I pulled out and into the fridge , sliced the next day and had the best flavor of any I have done, got some slices thawing out for supper tonight where I vac sealed a few

The curing salt is used to make a smoke ring.

The Serious Eats method looks like it would be the way to go. It is probably delicious, but I would not call it barbecue. It's sous vide brisket finished on a grill.

Another approach is to suck it up, take some risks, and make some real barbecued brisket. This stuff is not easy to do, that's part of the fun and challenge. Just for perspective, I've been cooking briskets for 23 years and in all that time I've NEVER made a brisket that was a good as the two I've eaten at Franklin Barbecue in Austin, but I keep trying. And yes, they do take a lot of time and attention and yes they do cost a lot of money and yes it's frustrating when it doesn't come out just the way you imagined. I don't mean to come across too harsh, Howard, because I understand the pressures of life and work and kids and wooden decks, but you can't step up to the plate at Yankee Stadium and hit a home run on your first ever at-bat, and you're not going to make a really good brisket on your WSM, either, without a few attempts and some time and perhaps wasted money.

I would say you're the perfect candidate for a Weber SmokeFire pellet grill or some other pellet grill. Set it and forget it until the alarm goes off on the smartphone app.

As for sous vide, you can also do it the other way around. Find a day when you can dedicate the time to the project. Start early in the morning and cook two briskets hot and fast, you'll be done before dinner. Enjoy one today, let the other one cool, vacuum bag it, and freeze it. When you want brisket, place frozen bagged brisket in 160*F sous vide for five hours. Here's a shot of us doing sous vide frozen brisket at Camp Brisket 2020.

View attachment 9475

Good points, Chris. I am not looking to hit a HR with the brisket. Just want to enjoy BBQ meats as often as I can without a large time commitment away from kids. Otherwise, my wife will give me a stinkeye. The freeze and reheat strategy sounds viable. Can do one large batch and save it for rainy day.

The Weber SmokeFire and Masterbuild Gravity looked attractive with the built-in ATC. But are in their first year. Will keep on an eye on them.

I smoke for several hours first then transfer to the SV bath at 200, after 6 hrs I think it was I pulled out and into the fridge , sliced the next day and had the best flavor of any I have done, got some slices thawing out for supper tonight where I vac sealed a few

Did it taste different with SV than a normal cook? Less smoke flavors? More tender?

Reading your approach gave got me thinking maybe just smoking for a few hours to get the smoke flavors and just finishing in the oven for the rest of the cook. Oven is also set and forget.

Howard -- You need a pellet grill. Or maybe a gas grill. Period.

Most of the guys on here are gray hairs. There's a reason for that. As we all know, that baby and toddler are going to be time sucking you for the next two decades.

While you can cobble something else together that can work (WSM+oven; SV; WSM+ATC), what you really need is a fully self-driving daily driver vehicle. Keep the WSM around (it takes up very little space) for the occasional event cook.

There's tons of great reliable pellet grills out there -- Traeger, RecTec, Green Mountain, etc. If they don't give you enough smoke flavor, you can add a pellet tube/maze as a boost.

The SmokeFire (despite its hiccups) is interesting mostly because it purports to be a good grill as well as a smoker -- i.e. the elusive one arrow quiver. But if you use a kettle or gasser for grilling (fyi, those ankle biters are gonna eat a lot of hot dogs), I wouldn't limit the pellet options to just the SmokeFire.

Thanks, Jim. Sounds like you have been through this kids stage and survived!

When my kids came along, I tossed out any hobbies and activities that took up a lot of time.....I used to play golf that took up half the day on the course then linger around the clubhouse to drink beers with my friends. Those days are gone. My wife gives me a hard time if I am away for more than few hours since she since is taking care of both kids.

I am hoping to elongate enjoyment window with smoking meats at home....was trying to think of creative ways to work out time constraints. The pellet or any type of set/forget ATC could be a solution. Last resort is to buy BBQ from the local restaurant when I am craving smoked meats without any work or time commitment....maybe that can be a stop gap until the kids a bit older and more independent.

Howard, you can have youngsters and still use a WSM for your long (or short cooks.) When I started down this path of trying to make really good, traditional BBQ, I had a 2 and 4 year old. A couple of years later, I had a newborn to add to the mix. I managed to smoke many a pork butt, brisket, and rack of ribs during all of that time, and for one primary reason.......I had a WSM. The WSM is one of the easiest smokers to learn, and, once you dial in that process for building your fire, you can (within reason) be comfortable that the WSM is going to hold the temp you want. Babies, yard work, cleaning the garage (again), etc, were all completely do-able while I had the WSM running. Check in on it occasionally, adjust a vent if it needs it, but for the most part, just let it chug along doing its thing.

You do need to dial in that process that works for you, but that's not super hard, especially with all the resources on here to help. You can do that with a few shorter chicken cooks, as the fire process is pretty much the same assuming your target temps are similar. If you consider getting an ATC, I would highly recommend that you learn how to manage the WSM manually first. You will learn quite a bit more about how to use the WSM than if you "automate" it from the start, and you might even find you don't need an ATC (.....and it's good to know how to manage the grill if your power goes out!) :)

Anyway, just a point of view from some guy on the internet whom you have never met, but successfully did what you are wanting to do.

Oh, and I gave up golf, too......hard to justify 6 hours away from the house.....however, making good grub while knocking out honey-do's can be very compatible tasks!

Good luck whichever way you go!

R

...maybe just smoking for a few hours to get the smoke flavors and just finishing in the oven for the rest of the cook. Oven is also set and forget.

I tried to convince my best friend to get a WSM, but he got a Traeger. He’s got a job, three kids, dog, chickens, and a big home and property to care for. Brisket is his favorite thing to make, it’s easy, and he loves the results.

Sous- vide is a nice tool to add to the arsenal, and it's not just for BBQ.
Perfect hard / soft boiled or poached eggs.
Cubed potatoes with some EVO and fresh herbs.
Vegetables.
I bought my Joule just to make things easier. Frozen steak or chops 1 hr and then finish in a pan or grill.
Some of the things I SV'd first and finished on the smoker or grill.
Beef tenderloin, Sirloin Tip roast, Rump Roast, Chuck Roast, Eye of Round and corned beef flats and points.
St louis spares, Pork Butt, Pork Loin.

Tim

IMO an automatic temperature controller so you don't have to tend the fire is the way to go. I have an Auber Instruments PID controller which can be had for about ~$150 and it really is set it and forget it. Use the minion method, pepper in some wood chunks deep in the unlit coals, and you can get 10-12 hours out of your fire. I wouldn't worry about the wood deck much as long as I was home, but you could put down some pavers.

The SV made it really tender, I thought it might be a little dry but the liquid reabsorbed, stopped in at lunch time and had a big sandwich of it, was really good, like I just took it off the smoker. The smoke flavor was fine no dilution of it that I could tell

Get an atc .
Your life is no different from anyone elses, you probably have more time than many

This storm your worried about come with rain? Or is it just a wind storm.?. Get a 10$ oil change drippan to put under smoker....done. screw the legs to the wood if it bothers you.

You're really just looking for ways to make it more complicated. Adding work. Its not. temp control doesn't even matter that can vary between 225 and 280 and it's all the same.

Nothing ever comes out so bad that it's wasted. Almost never......You still eat it, it's not thrown away ,youre never wasting money....with the exception of getting too much acrid smoke on stuff... that can make it horrible...

I wouldn't call brisket hard , Id call brisket very easy.....you don't have to spritz it all you got to do is wrap it.... once... five minutes of work in the middle of a 12-hour cook.... you can mostly ignore if you have a temp controller.... And enough coals that you don't run out.

Of course, my controller I can view on my phone from anywhere and make changes get alarms, push notifications, emails. when it reaches done, it'll automatically ramp the temperature down to a hold temperature. Pretty ez. also ramps the temperature to the meat temperature so it doesn't overshoot at the end as well.

No offense.....you have lots of time now, you just dont know it. Wait until kids are involved in activities every day after school, and on weekends.....and you have to be there. 2 hrs at practice every evening, games all day saturday. Youll be dreaming of the time you had now.....enjoy it

Best thing i ever did....was buy a big freezer....and a big 22 qt pot...and vac sealer.. . When cook, cook huge amounts....freeze majority. Then ez to thaw out in microwave.....no time to cook dinner most nights when get home from practices at 730

Last edited:
Tried something completely different, got a prime brisket from Costco, $3.49/lb, injected and rubbed, smoked at 225-250 for 4 hours till ~150 IT, then vacusealed (double) and into the sous vide at 155 for 26 hours, then ice bath to cool somewhat and then finished on smoker for 2 hours to reset bark. Results were very moist and perfectly tender. So, actual amount of hands on time was low, payoff was huge.
Image may contain: food

9 Comments

Comment

Regarding BBQing Brisket; my Brother in Texas smokes it in his Off-Set Cooker for around two(2) hours and finishes it in the oven.

For me, the WSM arrived a few years before the kids did. The WSM is still here, one kid is off at college, the other not far behind. So it can be done with little ones. My wife is a great cook and most of what she cooks requires a lot of detail and attention, stirring, adding, measuring, timing, etc. For me, I could literally sleep through most of a cook and it still comes out fine. Pretty low stress really so it's right for me and the kids grew to love the stuff too.

Back