Sous Vide Prime Ribs for Christmas Eve

DaveW

TVWBB Wizard
I usually smoke these at 225ish, but was trying them Sous Vide for the first time.

The plan was for a 10.x and a 9.x lb on at 134 for 8 hours, to be followed by a short smoke and hot sear on a Weber Ranch Kettle.

88d96b141e83700eb6ded4b2c171c411.jpg

After posting about this elsewhere, someone else mentioned that they didn't like the texture after an 8 hour bath, that they were going to do 6 next time. This got me freaking out. Decided to alter my plan and ended up going 7 hours on the soak. Afterwards, they went indirect on the Ranch Kettle which had been set up with charcoal and pecan and hickory chunks.

Right when it was time to leave and transport to my Aunt's, I lifted up the lid of the Ranch for a , moved each loin over the hot coals and rolled them around the flames giving them a nice hot sear.

2335719753e391fff30f6d2a068e47c1.jpg

3914f005113f4fb0ab87ba7b347e2b1d.jpg

0900515495880853ff39c053da9e0936.jpg

0455ba762f3268be10125c99063bbcee.jpg

e898dbe76215af3a88e715c7fe1ac7e9.jpg

As I had time on my hands while the PRs were swimming, I cooked a Pork Crown Roast as well (yeah, in the oven)

362045e90474b223ee0fa5b6b750506d.jpg

aab5b5da0ab2610adac4942a10470891.jpg

1fe36443fa90775d2b5a6808662da71c.jpg

Not pictured is the 22lb turkey that I roasted the day before. Carved it, vac bagged it, brought it back up to temp via sous vide and plated it as well.

I'm guessing folks were at least ok with the offerings as there were only a few scraps left by the end of the night.

DaveW;
That is a bunch of FINE looking meats!

Using my new Instant Pot Ultra I did Sous Vide for the first time last evening. Just a Prime New York Strip steak for my wife and I. The Ultra worked perfectly and the steak, after a quick sear in a cast iron skillet, turned out cooked nearly perfectly. The Instant pot was within one degree of where I set it.

Unfortunately, the steak was just "ok". I WAS impressed with the Ultra - it did as well as I could have hoped. The piece of meat that I had was not up to standards. Oh well, win some and lose some:p...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

DaveW;
That is a bunch of FINE looking meats!

Using my new Instant Pot Ultra I did Sous Vide for the first time last evening. Just a Prime New York Strip steak for my wife and I. The Ultra worked perfectly and the steak, after a quick sear in a cast iron skillet, turned out cooked nearly perfectly. The Instant pot was within one degree of where I set it.

Unfortunately, the steak was just "ok". I WAS impressed with the Ultra - it did as well as I could have hoped. The piece of meat that I had was not up to standards. Oh well, win some and lose some:p...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I've had some Costco Prime NY's. Was all excited about them. Cooked them and was like "meh". Kroger steaks taste just as good to me. As to the IP and the temp, I have to admit that I haven't temp'ed any meat coming out of the bath. But I have read that the last degree is almost impossible to attain internally.

I’ve had excellent luck with Costco prime capsteaks, packaging works put fairly well for me too, they seem to like packing them in threes which I find a little weird but, if I re tie one and cut it in half it’s the right size for my wife and daughter in law. Besides, they like them twice as “well” done as my wife’s son and I so, it’s a Win win!

That is quite a display Dave. Magnificent job. That Pork Crown Roast is the show stopper. It all looks so delicious and masterfully prepared.... and not one Ranch Kettle, but two. Wow.

Back