Soup weather.....Ramen

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I'll keep this short since there were no grills involved (could have been, but I just wasn't in the mood to be outside much with our stormy weather. My journey to good, homemade ramen has been inspired here by Bill Schultz (no longer in the member registry), and @Michael Richards.

12-hour Tonkatsu style broth from THIS RECIPE.

20-hour sous vide Chashu (pork shoulder) from THIS RECIPE.

Made a Shoyu (soy sauce) tare to flavor the broth - soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, sake, bonito flakes.

7-minute soft egg, a few mushrooms, some bean sprouts, and some alkalinized noodles.

Heaven in a bowl.

1707162129392.jpeg
1707162112594.jpeg

1707162121190.jpeg

Some previous ramen posts that have been my inspiration since Bill Schultz first posted his in 2014!

Bill Schultz - 2014
Bill Schultz - 2015
Bill Schultz - 2015
Me, first try
M Richards - First
M Richards - Second

Last edited:
That’s some expert level s*** there.

Reminds me of: https://www.ivanramen.com/our-story/
Most of it is pretty low effort stuff. The concept of making one broth, and then using a tare to make different types of ramen from it is new to me (and fun.) At the end of the day, it's noodle soup......a very specific type of noodle soup, but noodle soup nonetheless! :) I think the hardest part was sourcing the correct noodles.

Most of it is pretty low effort stuff. The concept of making one broth, and then using a tare to make different types of ramen from it is new to me (and fun.) At the end of the day, it's noodle soup......a very specific type of noodle soup, but noodle soup nonetheless! :) I think the hardest part was sourcing the correct noodles.
worth your time to watch if you haven't done so already.: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6546630/

Rich,
I totally made Ramen this past Saturday and Rich's pizza on Sunday (and stromboli with your daugh for the first time as well). They are two of the family's favorites and everyone was full until Tuesday. Your broth looks amazing. It's just that egg that gives me the heebie-jeebies. I just looked at my first batch of ramen post, oh may my son does not look like that anymore. Man how time flies and they grow up fast.
Michael

Back