So how much did you pay…

Daryl S

TVWBB Super Fan
With the rising costs of everything, how much did you pay for your fresh Christmas tree?
We almost didnt opt for a fresh tree this year due to the increase in prices.

Our favourite tree retailer had a good selection this year but with a hefty price increase.
The better half found a tree she really like, so we had to get it.
A fresh Fraser Fir tree at about 6ft was $129.99.
After grabbing my chest due to a few skipped heart beats, we loaded that lovely piece of gold into our vehicle to bring home.

At the place where we cut our own, we pay $12/foot, but at least they always measure short. They measured our 7'9" one at 7', so $84. Ours is a blue spruce I believe.

We haven't had one for the last two years. This year they sent out a notice they hadn't enough, but will be ready for 2023. We will be going the artificial route once sales start to happen. 500 to 600 for fake is a joke. Most are pre lit so I only want LED or no lights at all. It may not happen till the end of 2023 at this rate.

Haven't had a live tree in years. I've grown quite fond of the smell of dusty plastic over the years vs. the smell of fresh pine.
Although I do miss the sap and falling needles and dragging the dead tree to the curb after Christmas.
We used to get a live tree from Costco to get that nice pine scent, but they haven't had them at our Costco here for years now.
Now that I think about it, I haven't seen one Christmas tree lot here in the past couple of years.
Would love to have a live tree one more time but being in our 70s we just really scaled back our Christmas decorations. A small artificial tree and some other minor decorations.

For the last 5 years or so we’ve been going with friends to a local tree farm to cut our own. $40 for probably an 8’ tree. These aren’t manicured at all nor are they full, but we all think they are perfect. The last time I paid for a precut tree, granted it was a picture perfect 7’ Fraiser, it was $145. Nope!

After realizing that my skin did not like being poked and getting rashes from live trees my wife (bless her heart) said she was tired of hearing me complain and grouse for a week after bringing the thing in and then for a week after, let alone the fallen needles, said we are going artificial. After the many years we’ve had this one, I’m going to look for a replacement, maybe.
We spent some coin having the floors refinished, I was not happy to find a scratch from the storage boxes! Maybe I need better storage options!?

Last edited:
~$300... Truth be told, I'm a realtor and take around 10-20 "friends & families" up to a chosen area in the Sierra's (Portola, Ca) every year. Been doing it for 16 years now and it's a tradition. Permits are $10/tree, coffee/hot chocolate, cookies/muffins, fuel to get there... GOOD times and I feel very lucky to have this opp! The only downside... Wife hates how long I take to find the "perfect" tree and these suckers a LOT BIGGER when you get them home. 1st year we did it the tree ended up being 20' tall... LOL.

With the rising costs of everything, how much did you pay for your fresh Christmas tree?
We almost didnt opt for a fresh tree this year due to the increase in prices.

Our favourite tree retailer had a good selection this year but with a hefty price increase.
The better half found a tree she really like, so we had to get it.
A fresh Fraser Fir tree at about 6ft was $129.99.
After grabbing my chest due to a few skipped heart beats, we loaded that lovely piece of gold into our vehicle to bring home.
When I started selling Christmas trees in 1968 at a busy corner lot, they sold for between 6 and 8 dollars each.
My how the world has changed...... Merry Christmas everyone!

When I started selling Christmas trees in 1968 at a busy corner lot, they sold for between 6 and 8 dollars each.
My how the world has changed...... Merry Christmas everyone!
LOL so did I. Southside of Chicago. Archer and California.
1972 tho.

No tree...
Those needly things don't grow here

To be honest, born & raised in the Northern hemisphere, Christmas in summer just doesn't work.
Although a braai on the beach is fun :)

Cut down our tree at a place in southwestern Wisconsin. $50 for any size they had. Ours was about 8’

We've had the same artificial tree for almost 20 years...it really is very realistic and gorgeous. Could not be bothered getting a real one TBH. We paid a lot for it back then...probably $200 at the time...but it is still nicer than most we have ever seen over the years. My wife loves taking it out (well making ME take it out), and spending the day decorating it every Dec 1.

We've had the same artificial tree for almost 20 years...it really is very realistic and gorgeous. Could not be bothered getting a real one TBH. We paid a lot for it back then...probably $200 at the time...but it is still nicer than most we have ever seen over the years. My wife loves taking it out (well making ME take it out), and spending the day decorating it every Dec 1.

wrong religion but hey, Traditions!

Back