Snack sticks - test run

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I've never made snack sticks, but after a successful batch of Kabanosy (thin, smoked, polish sausage) that was my first experience with sheep casings, I decided I need to give it a go. Here's what I ended up with as a recipe:

500g Pork shoulder (ground through 7mm plate)
500g Beef, lean (ground through 7mm plate) -- I used some of the Picanha I ground up a couple weeks ago
1.75% Kosher Salt
.25% Cure #1
.7% Cayenne Pepper
.3% Garlic powder
.25% Black pepper
.25% Sugar
.2% Guajillo powder
.2% Mustard powder
.2% Onion powder
.15% Nutmeg
7.5% Ice water

All of the above got mixed with gloved hands until very tacky. The meat was super cold, so I knew I had mixed long enough when my fingers hurt! :) Once mixed, I let it chill in the fridge while I set up my small cast iron stuffer, and prepped the casings. Once all that was ready, I stuffed everything into the casings (I had some issues here that had to do with the stuffer I don't usually use, so only managed to get half of the mix stuffed.....the leftovers will get made into patties.) I tied the links off into what turned out to be lengths that were too long, and let them dry uncovered in the fridge overnight. This am, they got 2 hours of smoke at about 145F, then I poached them to finish (154F) in a sous vide bath. Cooled them in ice water, cut into stackable lengths and ate one. YUMMY! Great flavor, pork/beef mix is just right, and a hint of heat from the cayenne. I'll make these again.....in a bigger batch! :)

My baby stuffer:

1611521018560.jpeg

Stuffed and coiled:

1611521034990.jpeg

Smokin':

1611521054655.jpeg

Ready to eat:

1611521067271.jpeg

When did you move to Canada? ;)

About 3/4" give or take, so a bit larger than a Slim Jim.
You'll have to consult LEM on that one, Brad, I just read what was printed on the package (of course, casing diameters are frequently given in mm......until they get larger, then they seem to switch back to inches.) They all taste good, though, so I don't think it matters! :)

Those look great Rich. I like the sound of your recipe. Very cool baby stuffer. I agree though, a larger batch is probably better. It's just too much work to go smaller. I have a 5 lb. stuffer and have always filled it, sometimes twice, if I'm doing snack sticks.

Those look great Rich. I like the sound of your recipe. Very cool baby stuffer. I agree though, a larger batch is probably better. It's just too much work to go smaller. I have a 5 lb. stuffer and have always filled it, sometimes twice, if I'm doing snack sticks.
I like to do a small batch to test a new recipe, and my stuffing issues reduced my yield by about half. I inexplicably grabbed my smallest stuffing tube, which resulted in too much back pressure with the stuffer (probably could add more water to the mix, too.) So, a successful test of the recipe, but only got half the sticks I should have. I usually use the 4 qt version of that stuffer, but got the wild hair to use the little guy. No big deal.....can always make more. :)

R

those look GREAT! I think I want to give those a whirl here soon.....Your stuffer is a classic... Would that be referred to as a lard press? Not sure what the difference between a stuffer and press would be, other than the old school ones always seem to be referred to as a press....?

those look GREAT! I think I want to give those a whirl here soon.....Your stuffer is a classic... Would that be referred to as a lard press? Not sure what the difference between a stuffer and press would be, other than the old school ones always seem to be referred to as a press....?
Peter, yep, it's the same animal. Lard press, fruit press, sausage stuffer. A complete set would have a large plate and a small plate that attach to the worm screw depending on what you are doing. Sausage....large plate. Lard.....small plate with the basket insert (the rest of the complete set.) Chop Rite still makes them, but the old Enterprise ones are classics if you can find a deal on one.......I was lucky, didn't really need to clean mine (though the larger one I have could use some sprucing up......it's a tool, though, not a fashion statement!) :)

R

Those look great!

My enterprise has all the gizmos you mentioned above. Used to used it until I got a newer stuffer. Now its just art on the shelf.

Back