Smokefire no longer at Lowes

Finally getting around to posting the pictures of the GEN2 SmokeFires on display at Lowes. Anyone else seeing SF prominently displayed that their Lowe's stores?

IMG_1971.jpgIMG_1972.jpg

Not recently, but I haven't been there in a while. Was there any notations on those SmokeFires that they were "Generation 2?"

Lowes used different stock numbers for different versions. That stock number on the ex4 sign matches their Gen 2 description on their site. Should be Gen 2.

Lowes used different stock numbers for different versions. That stock number on the ex4 sign matches their Gen 2 description on their site. Should be Gen 2.
I am not sure that the gen 2 are on display at all Lowes stores and maybe Lkruse has confirmed with the model number at his store that they are but I was in my local store a few weeks ago 3 on display all the first generation from last year been lying there for at least 9 mos. As L said there are no in stock Smokefires at Lowes in my area they are all ship to home not to store and its grill selling season here in the South so the question that needs to be answered is Lowes going to bring them back into stock, I would have assumed down here they would at least have a couple in stock.

So we have discussed the popularity of gas grills plenty not going there any more and how they are on the decline or whatever and pellet grills are on the rise taking market share which certainly could be true most likely true but look at these numbers doing a search in stock only on my local Lowes and HD which includes stores in surrounding areas which down here in ATL means I might need to drive a few exits up or down to get them in stock certainly not like some other area where you might need to drive an hour to the next nearest store.

So Lowes:

190 Gas Grills in stock some Webers in that number not many. 44 pellet grills in stock no Smokefires all Pit Boss with 30 of them being
Pit Boss
Pro Series 850-sq in Hammer Tone Pellet Grill

Those are $499 maybe the sweet spot if I had to guess.

So HD:

152 gas grills in stock again some Webers. 32 pellet grills all Traeger models. You can buy other models like Camp Chef and others ship to store though and that is true also at Lowes.

Last edited:

grill selling season here in the South so the question that needs to be answered is Lowes going to bring them back into stock, I would have assumed down here they would at least have a couple in stock.

I am almost positive Weber is holding inventory back from big box stores. They want SmokeFires in stores with the upcoming firmware without requiring the customer to upgrade - better end-user experience out of the box. Grilling season in the south, possibly, but the Ground Hog predicted six more weeks of winter, and Texas said, hold my beer, we are doing it all in six days. Seriously though, demand builds in spring and early summer for buying new grills.

texas-winter-hold-my-beer-meme.jpg.webp

Actual low temp -2 (Midland, TX)

likely just off season purge of equipment, they should be showing back up in stores within the next month as some have already shown. i bought mine last year at lowes this time of the year, of course this was when they launched and my local store had units in backstock but had yet to even put them out i had to show up and ask them for it. fwiw as well gen 1 ex4 1 year of LOTS of use no updates besides the pellet slide and i have had minimal problems with my unit (most issues due to myself not cleaning it! )

I am almost positive Weber is holding inventory back from big box stores. They want SmokeFires in stores with the upcoming firmware without requiring the customer to upgrade - better end-user experience out of the box. Grilling season in the south, possibly, but the Ground Hog predicted six more weeks of winter, and Texas said, hold my beer, we are doing it all in six days. Seriously though, demand builds in spring and early summer for buying new grills.

texas-winter-hold-my-beer-meme.jpg.webp

Actual low temp -2 (Midland, TX)
You might be right it just seemed strange to me that you can order one for delivery to home but when you put it in the cart they are going to charge you $59 for shipping. They have other pellet grills that can be shipped to home not to store and the shipping was free. When I posted that Pit Boss link last night there were 30 in the store now 29 so they must have sold one.

Love the -1 to 70 in a week we never got down that low 20 degrees maybe with highs under 40 which is pretty chilly for us. But for the next 10-12 days except for one day with a high of 49 the rest will be mid 60's hitting 70's three or four times.

I went to my Lowe's in Terre Haute yesterday, and the SmokeFire is BACK! It was nice to see both models and a half-way decent looking display, including pellets, covers and those drip trays. The price labels clearly showed "GEN II." I hope Weber can get this thing working properly and make it the success that they need.

SmokeFire Display.jpeg
SmokeFire Display 2.jpeg
SmokeFire Display 3.jpeg

I saw this one that I thought looked promising for a used SmokeFire. If I had the $ and wasn't afraid of permanent "dog house" status I would be seriously tempted:

Normally, I would shy away from a used SmokeFire, but based on his write-up and the pictures it looks like this might be a safe one. Certainly a sweet deal. Even has the fold down front table!

I think you are right. Maybe just a thick piece of paper. You can see it turning up on the corner. A mat would be VERY cool. How about it, Weber?

Back