Smoked Rib Roast

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We avoid shopping at Safeway as their prices are quite high. We do watch the fliers closely though because they do have some outstanding sales. This holiday season was no exception. We picked up a beautiful six pound, two bone rib roast, a nice 9 lb. bone in ham which I plan to cook at Christmas and two large 30 oz. jars of Best Foods mayonnaise for $48 total. Decided to do the rib roast last night.

Mixed up a home rub and hinged the roast. Seasoned well behind the bones and retied. Applied the seasoning to the rest of the roast and let it set while kettle got up to temp, 250.

enhance

Got it on the kettle with a couple nice pieces of pecan for smoke.

enhance

This was around the two hour mark, right around 100 degrees internal.

enhance

Sauteed some asparagus in butter along with some AP rub and some grated Parmigiano Reggiano.

enhance

Couple of golds for about an hour.

enhance

Pulled roast when internal temp reached 127, just under 3 hours. Tented for around 20 minutes and sliced.

enhance

enhance

Plated it up with some Uncle Fred's straight horseradish.

enhance

I was very happy with this cook. The rib roast was outstanding and extremely tender and flavorful. I believe I'll stop by the store and pick up another one of these roasts while they are still on sale. Hope you're all having a nice weekend and once again, thanks for looking.

Outstanding, Cliff! Everything looks delicious. We are planning to do a rib roast for New Years Eve. Hope it turns out as well as yours!

That plated pic is a thing of beauty!!! Oh my gosh do I wish someone else in my house liked steaks cooked something other than well done!! Your Standing rib roast makes me want to try one that mush more!!
Great job, it truly does look amazing!
Tim

Great cook Cliff, just the way we like it.
You might want to get over to Safeway as the ad states that "while supply last" Barb works part time as a cashier at Safeway and with her employee discount we got our supply for $3.47 a pound and we are set for another 4 or 5 months, a two bone roast and about nine 1 1/2" steaks.
When I picked up ours I was talking to the butcher and he said they were just buried and went through 2100 pounds of rib roast the first day!
This time of the year Barbs part time is about 50 hours a week.
Me, I'm a stay at home Dad babysitting our two pups and making dinners.;)
Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season.

Last edited:
Looks great! I picked up two at Safeway the other day. Not sure when we'll have them. Gonna rotisserie one for sure.

Gorgeous! Exactly what I'm doing for Xmas...

But I planned to go lower temp and then crisp in the oven...how was your exterior crust without a final sear?

That's a wonderful roast Cliff, congrats! I just picked up our Christmas roast. I can't wait to cook it

Dude, another touch down! Man you are always rocking this site. And you are always doing it the right way.
As far as people wanting a new pellet smoker better take a good look at your rib roast. Grand slam!
Have a very Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas Cliff, Wonderful Rib Roast cook and fixings. Choice Rib Roasts are $3.99 Lb again at Stater Bros. Have to pick up a few.

I remembered this year to pick up a couple roasts while on sale. Will cook as a "side dish" for the January card game.wondering best way to cook.

Thank you all for your comments. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Gonna rotisserie one for sure.

I returned yesterday and got an 8 pounder. It's destined for a roto cook too.

But I planned to go lower temp and then crisp in the oven...how was your exterior crust without a final sear?

The crust was fine. I've never done the finale in the oven but might give it a try. Good luck with yours!

Choice Rib Roasts are $3.99 Lb again at Stater Bros.

That beats the heck out of my sale Jeff. $5.99 and the roast was Select. I'm not complaining though.

Will cook as a "side dish" for the January card game.wondering best way to cook.

I've always done them one of two ways. Low, indirect heat on a grill/smoker or on a rotisserie. Good luck.

Back