Smoked Chicken Spanakopita

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I smoked up some chicken thighs the other day intending to use them for lunches and then one thing led to another and I didn't need them for lunch. We like to make Spanakopita. This is an easy Greek dish that like a pot pie can be made using a variety of proteins, veggies, etc. You can make it in one skillet which is nice for clean up. I loosely followed the recipe I linked. A few changes were made.
1. I didn't have half and half so I used a cup of low fat sour cream. Greek yogurt could work too as a substitute.
2. I only had 3oz of feta (which I think is fine).
3. I used a block of thawed frozen spinach instead of fresh.
4. I didn't have any phyllo dough and I didn't want to make any. We did have Pepperidge Farms frozen puff pastry cups so I used those. They go on frozen and worked out great. Took a bit more oven time though to get brown. Any frozen puff pastry or canned biscuits could work as a topper.

The smoked chicken really added good flavor and I would do it again. Other variations you can add Greek olives, shrimp, lamb, pork meatballs, scrambled eggs etc.

I should note that I started out using my 12" CI pan, but opted for the 10". Seemed to fit better in the smaller pan. One could also make this in a casserole dish if you don't have a good pan to go in the oven.

Only got a finished photo.

50439910802_d960f7a00d_4k.jpg

50439910812_e280f44f29_4k.jpg

Looks great Case and thank you for the recipe. I think I'll give it a try. I had to smile when I read your list of substitutions. I've found myself doing that more and more as this virus rolls along. We've been doing our grocery shopping about twice a month and it's working out OK, but it's rough on dairy and fresh vegetables.

Thanks, I guess that is as close to posting a recipe as you guys will get. lol
I posted a link to the recipe because it’s not my recipe to post in full.
I don’t post in the recipes sections because I like to post in the photos section.

Looks great Case and thank you for the recipe. I think I'll give it a try. I had to smile when I read your list of substitutions. I've found myself doing that more and more as this virus rolls along. We've been doing our grocery shopping about twice a month and it's working out OK, but it's rough on dairy and fresh vegetables.
Cliff we are on the same shopping schedule. We’ve been able to stretch things out pretty good.
We usually don’t have milk on hand, but we always have sour cream, Greek yogurt, Non-fat Dry milk and powdered buttermilk on hand.

we’ve found that of all veggies baby arugula keeps better than other lettuces. So we’ve been using it a lot.

I posted a link to the recipe because it’s not my recipe to post in full.
I don’t post in the recipes sections because I like to post in the photos section.
Case, I did not mean the recipe that you linked to, I meant what you made.

Also, Chris has asked us to post recipes in the recipe section. But I do notice, what gets posted in the photo section does get a lot more viewers than recipes posted in the recipe section. I wish we could change that.

Case...another great cook!

Joan...I think it falls under the category, "A picture says a thousand words." I appreciate the recipe section (yours especially) , but I eat with my eyes first. I love the photo section here; it's always the first thing I check.

Hey case when are you going to write a cook book? I never even heard of Spanakopita.
Let alone trying to say it five times fast.

Case...another great cook!

Joan...I think it falls under the category, "A picture says a thousand words." I appreciate the recipe section (yours especially) , but I eat with my eyes first. I love the photo section here; it's always the first thing I check.
So true T. I enjoy looking at the photo section also. But when I see something I like and would like to duplicate it, I find it hard to follow what everyone says. I am just used to everything being in standard recipe form. I like to know, most of the time, the exact amount of each ingredient, so if something is really good, it can be made again. Or if something is wrong, then I know to use less or more of a certain ingredient.

Hey case when are you going to write a cook book? I never even heard of Spanakopita.
Let alone trying to say it five times fast.

No Cook Book in the near future. I consider all my posts my cookbook!

Back