Smoked chicken enchilada casserole

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Needed chicken broth so I thawed out a whole chicken. Been craving chicken enchiladas so I set a plan motion. Originally was just going to spatch the bird but I decided I wanted more meat for the stock so I decided to cut the spatched bird in half and remove the rib bones, clavicle, sternum, etc.

Seasoned the bird with SPOG and paprika. Set up the 14.5” with KBB and apple high temp 350f. Cooked until IT hit 165. Let cool then pulled and shredded.

7FF16B88-B518-47EF-ADFE-4747C7B46CE2.jpeg

3B08F9FC-4840-4EA5-ADFF-5C135BED7E85.jpeg
While that was going on I simmered the bones down for stock.

DA2EED52-DF04-4429-9874-39DF63986825.jpeg

Preheat oven to 350. This will bake covered with foil for 34-45 minutes or till heated through. Then an additional 15-20 worh
To the shredded chicken I added 1 thawed block of frozen spinach l, 1 small
Onion chopped, 3 cups of shredded pepper jack and cheddar, 1 can of red enchilada sauce, 1 can diced
1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder, 1 tsp. Chili powder. Mixed that together.
In a casserole dish I brushed the bottom with enchilada sauce. Then add 6 corn tortillas. Spread on a layer of refried beans (I hear them up so they spread better). Next a layer of the chicken mixture. Add sliced olives. I drizzle more enchilada sauce. Then another layer of tortillas. Brush top of tortillas with enchilada sauce repeat layering. You should end with tortillas on top, pour remaining enchilada sauce over too. Top with more grated cheese and sliced olives.

As with all my dishes you can change up the ingredients. I have done this with beef, shrimp, Cojita cheese, added jalapeños, lettuce, etc.

F00694F0-7CAD-4CA1-B918-C5C17810B123.jpeg

Pre-oven ready to go. Cover with foil prior to placing in oven.

8F62D62C-6493-4336-90FF-44C38BAA27E0.jpeg

this doesn’t last long in our house. We ate probably half or the 9x13 last night!

let’s not forget the stock. 8 cups of liquid gold.

F54D391B-FE32-433E-9581-1EDAAB9F5EEA.jpeg

Hmmm, I've got shredded smoked chicken in the fridge, and a bag of bones in the freezer for stock. I think I may have this for dinner, Case! It looks great, thanks for sharing!

Rich

Hmmm, I've got shredded smoked chicken in the fridge, and a bag of bones in the freezer for stock. I think I may have this for dinner, Case! It looks great, thanks for sharing!

Rich
Thanks Rich. You don’t need stock for the casserole. I just took advantage of the bones to make stock for another recipe I plan to make.

Thanks Rich. You don’t need stock for the casserole. I just took advantage of the bones to make stock for another recipe I plan to make.
Oh, yeah, I know......I need to make the stock anyway for an upcoming recipe, so I'll just mirror your day in the kitchen! :)

Nice combination of ingredients, looks good. I make something similar and like yours it doesn't last too long.

What's your go to canned red enchilada sauce? I've used Ortega for years, but I suspect they have changed something. The last few cans have been very disappointing.

What's your go to canned red enchilada sauce? I've used Ortega for years, but I suspect they have changed something. The last few cans have been very disappointing.
Usually what ever is on sale. This was Signature brand which is sold at Safeway and Albertsons. It’s not bad. Usually we make our own but didn’t have time or all the ingredients on hand.

That looks great Case! I always use red enchilada sauce on beef or pork and green on chicken with green chilis.
I might change that.;)
Albertsons has the Hatch brand once in a while, that's the ****z ( red or green)

Back