Smoked Carne Adovada

RobNM

TVWBB Member
Yesterday was the day I really wanted to try and get creative with my WSM. I've mentioned before I live in the SW and one thing that is big here is our Mexican food. My wife supprised me the other day with a pork butt, I asked her if we were doing pulled pork and she said " No Carne Adovada". For those Who aren't familiar Carne Adovada it is cubed or shredded pork usually loin or butt that is marinated in red chili and cooked in the oven or crock pot.
My wife makes a mean Carne in the crock pot. But this time was a pork butt not a loin so I asked her if she wouldn't mind me doing it up on the WSM. The night before which was Wednesday I cubed it and made our home made red chili put it in the fridge and let it marinate all night long.
Next morning on Thursday I prepped my smoker at 9:00 am that morning and around 10:00am put the marinated Carne Adovada wrapped in foil with a corner open on the top rack at 230 degrees. And let it cook.
Wood chunks were a few apple and hickory. I also put a whole onion and a whole garlic clove directly in the fire to get those aromatics going. Water in the water pan also.
At 6 that evening took it off and served with home made beans, hash browns and an egg on top. There was just enough smoke not to over power the chill taste, the pork was so tender. I have to say I think I'm on to something with this. Maybe not as good as my beautiful wife's but a very close second .

Attachments

• 20201112_094637.jpg
    20201112_094637.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 30
  • 20201112_094805.jpg
    20201112_094805.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20201112_095314.jpg
    20201112_095314.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201112_145319_HDR.jpg
    20201112_145319_HDR.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201112_182014.jpg
    20201112_182014.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201112_184939_HDR.jpg
    20201112_184939_HDR.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 32
Rob, that looks fantastic, and I am pretty sure you succeeded on being creative! :) I'm with Bruno, if you are in a sharing mood, would love to see your recipe for the red chili (I've got a chile colorado down pretty pat, but I like new ways to use chiles!) :)

Thanks for sharing!

R

Rob,
That is a great looking meal! My family's favorites are anything I do on a weber that is Mexican inspired. This is an my list now. I have bookmarked it and will be checking back to see if you post a recipe.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. One thing about Mexican food or where I live New Mexican food is everyone's version of whatever varies. This recipe is my own, I'm a big believer in keeping it simple when it comes to cooking. I'm not a chef and never played one on TV either. When it comes to red chili allot of people here in NM love to add lard or flower to it. Myself I like to let the chili do all the talking. I'm sorry everyone I don't "have" a recipe with a cup of this a pinch of that or a punch of it whatever. I simply eye it and taste it.
This is how my wife and I do our red chili.
We get HOT or extra HOT Hatch red chili pods and then de-seed them and fill up a blender with dried out red chili pods. My blender because I'm looking at it is 9 cups. I add 6 cups of boiling hot water to it and push all the pods down. They will absorb water. I let it steep for about 20 minutes. Then I add a little bit of sea salt, a little bit of onion powder, some ground black pepper, fresh minssed garlic about a tea spoon and a little bit of honey.
Blend and then taste to see what I'm missing.
That's it. Maybe I will start getting better at documenting exact but for now I know what we like and that has worked.

does Cincinnati Chili qualify as real chili?

<scratches head> Not sure what you're asking that here, both Cincinnati Chili & Chili are different origins than Carne Adovada.

Having said that...... Cincinnati Chili & Chili are 2 very different dishes with some common elements.

Hi guys, does Cincinnati Chili qualify as real chili?
Joan, it probably depends on who you ask! :) As is true with lots of dishes, there's a lot of passion about chili, and what should/shouldn't go into a batch. I just looked up a recipe for Cincinnati Chili, and, to me, I'd say for sure it qualifies as chili. The "real" part is where passionate people will chime in with their opinion, but in the end, if you like it, make it and eat it! I know people who swear by their crock pot pulled pork.....it's not my cup of tea, but I've eaten plenty and it can be tasty.

....now, back to Carne Adovada......I will be making up a batch of this red Chile sauce (guided by Rob's method), to use up some cubed pork butt I've got in the freezer. Might even break out the tortilla press! :)

R

Back