Smoked Carne Adovada

<scratches head> Not sure what you're asking that here, both Cincinnati Chili & Chili are different origins than Carne Adovada.

Having said that...... Cincinnati Chili & Chili are 2 very different dishes with some common elements.
What we call chili here in NM is made from actual red or green Hatch chili peppers. And we make a sauce out of them. This will blow your mind if you've never been to New Mexico, when you go out to eat tell your server you want it Christmas.🎆

Joan, it probably depends on who you ask! :) As is true with lots of dishes, there's a lot of passion about chili, and what should/shouldn't go into a batch. I just looked up a recipe for Cincinnati Chili, and, to me, I'd say for sure it qualifies as chili. The "real" part is where passionate people will chime in with their opinion, but in the end, if you like it, make it and eat it! I know people who swear by their crock pot pulled pork.....it's not my cup of tea, but I've eaten plenty and it can be tasty.

....now, back to Carne Adovada......I will be making up a batch of this red Chile sauce (guided by Rob's method), to use up some cubed pork butt I've got in the freezer. Might even break out the tortilla press! :)

R
Don't forget to top it off with an egg.

What we call chili here in NM is made from actual red or green Hatch chili peppers. And we make a sauce out of them. This will blow your mind if you've never been to New Mexico, when you go out to eat tell your server you want it Christmas.🎆

Yum. Eggs w/ Christmas chili sauce for breakfast. I really do need to start picking up Hatch chiles and roasting them off to freeze.

There are distributers here in NM that will send Fresh Green and Red Chili to you. Then you can roast them at your house.... That is one of the best smells is fresh roasted green chili.

I'm just outside the Twin Cities Metro. I'm pretty sure that in season I can get fresh Hatch chiles. Just not happenin' this year.

My g/f did score some spectacular jalapenos at the local farmer's market this summer. Those got smoked and dried, and are now sleeping in the freezer.

Back