Small Shorthorn brisket flat

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Shorthorns are supposed to be a good all around breed for milk and meat. I bought this 4 lb. flat from a producer here in Missouri through their website. I've also purchased and eaten some of their Berkshire pork chops, pork the way it used to taste.

My concern was the thinness of the whole thing. Rubbed with Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork.
On the 14" WSM using RO Chef's Select, and pecan and hickory wood.

1614604343832.png

After 3 hours, the smoker ran in the 270 F range.

1614604467997.png

It was in the stall, so I wrapped it in butcher paper, then back on the smoker. I've lost my done pic, it hit 200 F after about 6 hours, no jiggly wiggly at all, so I was concerned about edibility. It turned out vey edible, tender, flavorful, but pretty dry. That's why we have bbq sauce.

1614604898794.png

With just the two of us, there's plenty of leftovers.
About the charcoal. First time smoking with the newer style of Chef's Select. It's been fine for grilling, but I'm not sure it was giving me a clean burn. The meat was dried off well before the rub, and the smoker was well vented, but I can taste a very slight creosote taste. Could just be me and my taste buds.
Here's was this morning's breakfast, egg, cheese and brisket McBob.

1614605700557.png

Thanks for stopping by!

Attachments

• 1614605384287.png
    1614605384287.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Thanks for the review Bob, very interesting I've never bought what I call designer meat before. Most I've done is Costco Prime briskets.
I like the idea of the smaller cut, when I do a Costco Prime brisket with just the two of us we eat off that for a couple of months with 90% of it frozen. Might look into that.

Bob,
Smoke ring looks amazing, I have yet to take the leap to a brisket, but need to. Bummer about the taste from the charcoal. I really want to try the B&B charlogs for the WSM 14, but I can't find them in stock around me right now. I will keep looking. I think I am going to get two bags to Blues Hog All Natural Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes here on Wednesday.

I am running low and have $5 off my next ace order.

Blues Hog All Natural Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes
Thought they only made lump.
After some digging I found their FB page, and it appears the briquettes were new in Feb. and only available at Ace. Is it possible we've (you've) found the maker of Weber? They look similar to me, need a real life comparison.
Their pic:

1614614958114.png

Last edited:
Looks great, Bob. Sorry it was dry. Do you think that is the nature of Shorthorns? Like Rich, I would love a smaller brisket since it's just the two of us.

Can't wait to hear about the Blues Hog Briquettes. I still have a bunch left in my Weber stash; I might have to buy a bag of BHB for a direct comparison.

Looks great, Bob. Sorry it was dry. Do you think that is the nature of Shorthorns
Thanks!
I think it was the thinness more than anything else. I've cooked large and small flats only that were pretty moist, all things considered.

Ace shows 10% off purchases with promo MAR1, but I couldn't get it to work. I do want to try the Blues Hog briquettes. Their lump is, or was, made here in MO, it'd be nice if their briquettes are too.

Ace shows 10% off purchases with promo MAR1, but I couldn't get it to work. I do want to try the Blues Hog briquettes. Their lump is, or was, made here in MO, it'd be nice if their briquettes are too.
You have to be a "rewards club member". I singed up in the spring to get a deal on the B&B briquettes I tried. They haven't pestered me as a awards member.

Well, It looks wonderful Bob. Beautiful slices, masterful smoke ring. I just know it had to be delicious, sauce or no sauce. When i luck out and get a brisket that's 'jiggly wiggly" it's usually centered on the point area. Flats always seem to tighten up, at least with me.

I hit my favorite Ace today and they're selection of charcoal there was the best I've seen in several months. I scored a couple of bags of KF professional - I haven't seen it there in quite a while.

I haven't tried smoking a small flat myself, but I have a friend that does. He usually tops his with a "bacon blanket" and sometimes injects them and his usually turn out pretty well. I've mostly done whole packers and generally follow the Texas style of prepping and cooking them. Sometimes when I'm craving a brisket, but don't need that much meat, I'll smoke a chuck roast instead....

I’m down to about 35# of KBB, maybe I need to swing by the local Ace (the place with the helpful hardware man)
Damn, I feel old now!

Back