Small Cut of Pork for Pulled Pork

Neal Slaton

Hi,

I would like to make pulled pork, but wanted to avoid the lengthy cook for a big shoulder/butt (and having 8-10 pounds of pulled pork). Has anyone had luck with smaller cuts or shoulder roasts?

Thanks!

Neal

Hey welcome to the board Neal!
You can use a small shoulder roast because that's just a smaller butt.
Or use country style ribs cut from the shoulder ( not the loin ) or cut your butt into 4 or 5 smaller pcs.
HTH

Tim

I've gotten pork butts, bone-in, that have weighed in at 5lbs (Sealed Farmer John brand), they turned out just fine.

Hey welcome to the board Neal!
You can use a small shoulder roast because that's just a smaller butt.
Or use country style ribs cut from the shoulder ( not the loin ) or cut your butt into 4 or 5 smaller pcs.
HTH

Tim

Thanks, I will probably find a small roast and use it!

I'd get a 5 lb butt like everyone says. Usually we get the opposite question of this. "I've cooked one butt. How do I cook 30 of them at once?"

I got a 4 lbs. Boston Butt a while ago. I was really surprised that it took me nearly as long to cook it as it did the 10 pounders I usually do. (It took 10 hours.) I might have just had bad luck though. It still tasted good.

Sometimes I cut a butt in half for 2 cooks. Easy to do even if it's bone-in.
Just don't plan on it being done in half the time.
Try high heat, up around 300, if you want fast.

And also remember an 8 or 10 pound butt is not gonna give you the same amount finished.
Normally I get 50% cooked vs raw.

Tim

What Bob said, I usually cut the butts in half. Briskets and pork butts I cook at 300 or so really can't tell any difference between 225-250 and 300, but it does cut the time down.
Welcome to the forum!

I cannot remember ever cooking a single butt for pulled pork. I generally cook two 8-10 pounders as it takes the same amount of time as cooking one. We then pull the pork, vacuum pack it in smaller sizes so we can have pulled pork at short notice.

It works beautifully!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I cannot remember ever cooking a single butt for pulled pork. I generally cook two 8-10 pounders as it takes the same amount of time as cooking one. We then pull the pork, vacuum pack it in smaller sizes so we can have pulled pork at short notice.

It works beautifully!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I agree with you Robert, and usually do the same, but sometimes I only do one at a time because I'm looking at different flavors, methods.
I got a twin cryo pack defrosting in the fridge ( 20#)
One is going in a Mojo Crillo soak for 24 hrs for some Cubanos on Monday, and I'm smoking that with Mesquite lump ( 275) for a few then ramping it up to 350ish . I'm only taking that to 180 ( for slicing) and using Oak & Cherry for flavor.
Second one is going L&S for Independence Day. Overnite, with Kevin's ( A Butt Rub For Jane) and Hickory for flavor.:wsm:

Tim

Back