Slicer Recommendations

This thread really brings back some memories. For about a year and a half in high school I worked behind the deli counter at a local grocery store. I couldn't begin to tell you how many hundreds of yards of bologna I've sliced. Or how many hundreds of canned hams. Come holiday time we'd have so many orders for sliced canned hams we'd have one extra worker just for doing the hams. Assuming the can opener didn't act up, I could open it, slice it, tie it, and have it wrapped to go in under five minutes. Been a long time since I worked one of those machines.

Well now the slicer is on hold. My trusty VERY expensive Bosch dual fuel gas range died :( so decided "I can fix this". Well good news/bad news. Yes I can fix it but no it's not worth it. The parts to fix it right now would set me back over $600! I know it was a $2000 range but I got it new on closeout/over stock for only $700 about 11/12 years ago. I can't see spending the $$$$$ on it. Badder news..............I absolutely NEED to replace it PRIOR to the weekend. Ugh! Wife has tons of cookies to bake, plus Xmas day dinner is going to be a standing rib roast it will be served at daughter and new son in law's home BUT I need to cook it (first stage) here in an oven. I do a 2 stage cook on them. 200 degrees for a number of hours until I get the meat to about 125 temp. Rest it for 45 to an hour then blast it with very high heat typically on the grill. Son in law has my old Genesis. So plan is I do low and slow in the oven, rest it on the way to their house than son in law and myself take it to the grill and blast it prior to carve and serve

To bad on the grill. Terrible a nice piece of equipment is no longer worth anything because a part that should cost $100 will cost more than the grill is worth.

Sounds like you have a plan to get the Rib Roast done this weekend though. Good luck.

When you get back in the market for a slicer, I have the Chef's Choice model 615 and really like it. It's not a commercial slicer, but for home use, it works well. Fairly easy to clean also.

Yummmm..... so, what time is dinner, LMichaels? I can be there in about 5 hours..... :D Is the food still any good at the Clock?

I'm planning a smoking a 3 bone for 3 of us, assuming the weather cooperates enough. OOffffffff..... *HIGH* of 2 degrees F predicted for XMas day here, doesn't look like much of a breeze fortunately.

Seriously.... what part on that range goes for 6 bills? G/f & I picked up a Frigidaire gas scratch-n-dent (if I didn't tell you, you probably wouldn't know,) pro range that I'm pretty happy with a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Is it electronic circuit board? If so, it should be $100 and is a very easy thing to replace. Few screws, few plugs bob's your uncle it's done. Assuming of course that as a consumer you can find the board. Do a google search for your model. Will probably find lots of folks with the same issue/repair tips.

I have a dual fuel (diff mfg/model) as well. Panel display cuts out when broiling due to extremely krappy design.

Just for laffs: did you try resetting the fuse breaker on the house main power panel? When my stove display goes out , even though the breaker didn't trip , first thing I'll do is trip the breaker, reset it and the stove now works again.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Standing rib roasts ( I call them Prime Rib) in the supermarket the other day. I had an instant bout of sticker shock. Some of them were approaching $100. I would love to try to cook one up on my grill, but I would be too worried about ruining it. :D

Choice rib roasts are on sale here for $10, sometimes less, per lb.
Like Chris said, they're almost fool proof if you keep a check on the internal.
I've only cooked them over charcoal.

Yummmm..... so, what time is dinner, LMichaels? I can be there in about 5 hours..... :D Is the food still any good at the Clock?

I'm planning a smoking a 3 bone for 3 of us, assuming the weather cooperates enough. OOffffffff..... *HIGH* of 2 degrees F predicted for XMas day here, doesn't look like much of a breeze fortunately.

Seriously.... what part on that range goes for 6 bills? G/f & I picked up a Frigidaire gas scratch-n-dent (if I didn't tell you, you probably wouldn't know,) pro range that I'm pretty happy with a couple of years ago.

So, Bruce it wasn't a grill it is my kitchen stove that went out. Yes it's a circuit board and the convection heating element that went out. The circuit board is the killer $560! Yikes. The element is just under $60. So another major purchase from my local Best Buy for an LG gas range with convection there goes another grand :( yes it is VERY easy to replace it's the cost of the part(s) that is killer. Very simple board too. Oh well. New stove will be here Saturday PM wife will go on a cookie baking marathon to catch up, my 9.8lb standing rib will go in that bad boy at a low/slow 200/225 degrees for a few hours. It will rest in the car on the way to kid's house (45 min or so) then go into the Genesis grill I gave them at about 450 to 500 for a little carmelization and flavor then into our bellies.
Anyway I have closure now on that part. Just an awful time of year to have it happen. 6 months from now I could have taken my time and used the grills if need be.

You didn't respond to my post re: trying to reset the breaker? My c.b. is my issue as well but there are two methods to try to fix. I posted one. Did you try it?

I am sure at some point I will do up a big old prime rib. Just have to save up for it :)

Seriously, Bruce.... smoked prime rib is *EASY*. As long as you've got decent temp control in your smoker. 225 degrees F for me, to around 135 degrees F internal. I've been buying meat at Costco, and had very good luck with the bone-in and boneless rib roasts, pork butts, and briskets, to the point that I won't buy anywhere else.

A few years ago, I smoked an entire bone-in rib roast for my g/f's family, even the family's vegetarian had to fall off the wagon and try it.

I hope your new oven's better than your last. Good luck with the upgrade.

You didn't respond to my post re: trying to reset the breaker? My c.b. is my issue as well but there are two methods to try to fix. I posted one. Did you try it?

He has a repair shop, he probably disconnected power before tearing into the panels.

Dual fuel??? what's that - electric & gas?

Len no it's not the breaker. If the breaker was the issue it would not work at all. This was not the issue. I found a burned out heating element for the convection fan (this being a Bosch has true European convection i.e. the air in the fan housing has an 1100 watt element. The range is poorly designed. The main circuit board is mounted to the back side of the oven housing where it has to go through extreme heating/cooling cycles. It's a very simple board too but VERY expensive. Sadly the new range will NOT be an "upgrade" as it will be single fuel (which I do not prefer) it will not have the cool features we have now i.e. I have a probe I can put into a roast that will reach a desired temp and shut the oven off. Frankly I am giving up a lot with the new one, but cookies and rib roast NEED to be baked and the weather is not going to cooperate in a way I could substitute the grills until I found suitable repair time and parts or a better deal. Sadly we just made a MAJOR (for me anyway) for a new washing machine to replace the one that recently went up in smoke about 6 weeks ago (yes up in smoke) so having to drop the kind of coin I would have to in order to replace the stove with similar features just ain't possible. As it is the new one hit me with just over $1,000 :( and it does not have nearly the features we have gotten used to.
Oh well it's only $$$$
Actually today I am going to try a last ditch effort to repair the circuit board. If it works I may cancel the order for the new stove

Well tried a last ditch effort I saw online to repair some computer boards. Where you use a heat gun to apply some serious heat to the soldered areas of the board to re-melt the solder joints in a hope this will reestablish contact. Ehhhhhhh FAIL very unhappy.

Back